Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comparing the NX200 with the NEX7

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Comparing the NX200 with the NEX7

The more I look at the reviews of the NEX7, the more perfect the camera appears to be - except for the price tag.

The Samsung NX200 seems like a reasonable contender in terms of size, MPs and image quality - I'm trying to get a clear picture (pardon the pun) on what I'd be giving up if I opted for the much cheaper Samsung vs the Sony.

I only own 1 camera, and I tend to hold it for many years. I'll be selling my existing Canon Digital Rebel XT with Sigma 18-200 lens to partially fund the NEX7 (or NX200) purchase, but I want to make sure I buy the right camera and don't regret the decision later.

Does anyone have thoughts about the NX200 vs the NEX7?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The more I look at the reviews of the NEX7, the more perfect the camera appears to be - except for the price tag.

The Samsung NX200 seems like a reasonable contender in terms of size, MPs and image quality - I'm trying to get a clear picture (pardon the pun) on what I'd be giving up if I opted for the much cheaper Samsung vs the Sony.

I only own 1 camera, and I tend to hold it for many years. I'll be selling my existing Canon Digital Rebel XT with Sigma 18-200 lens to partially fund the NEX7 (or NX200) purchase, but I want to make sure I buy the right camera and don't regret the decision later.

Does anyone have thoughts about the NX200 vs the NEX7?
Main differences:
NEX-7:
Has 1080 60p/60i/30p whereas NX200 is only 1080 30p
Has a built in viewfinder
Has more megapixels, but comparable noise in real-world use (read: NOT pixel-peeping)
Much longer tested battery life (about 100 shots more)
Faster fps burst AND a larger buffer. You can take 16 shots at 10 fps with NEX-7 vs 11 shots at 7 fps with NX200
Built in flash, along with alpha hotshoe
External Mic jack
Has a higher resolution, articulating screen
Full magnesium alloy construction

Those are the main advantages. All the NX200 has going for it is that it is cheaper, has a few more lenses available (3 more, booo), and is a little smaller.

Haha I actually just created an account for this just to discuss this camera, I'm really looking forward to picking one up.

Suffice to say the NX200 is still a GREAT camera for sure, just look at any online review. But, when it ships later this month or in January, the NEX-7 is the king of all the interchangeable lens compact cameras. Nothing comes close, except the Leica M9. But that thing is $6000 dollars body only. Ridiculous.

Last edited by ElMatadurr; Dec 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
In my experience, the Samsung cameras don't perform as well in real life as their statistics wouod lead you to believe.

But the more important thing here is, what do you plan to do for lenses? Sony has no selection and they suck. The only one that can keep pace with the sensor is the new Zeiss, and it's stupid big and ridiculous expensive. Samsung has better selection, including a sweet 85/1.4.

That said, micro four thirds kills both in terms of lenses and total "ready to shoot" size and weight.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ~tc~
In my experience, the Samsung cameras don't perform as well in real life as their statistics wouod lead you to believe.

But the more important thing here is, what do you plan to do for lenses? Sony has no selection and they suck. The only one that can keep pace with the sensor is the new Zeiss, and it's stupid big and ridiculous expensive. Samsung has better selection, including a sweet 85/1.4.

That said, micro four thirds kills both in terms of lenses and total "ready to shoot" size and weight.
Tamron just announced a new 18-200 lens for the NEX line, and if one forgoes auto-focus (which I certainly can), there is a popular blog that showcases the absolutely stunning photos resulting from pairing a NEX with older lenses from Leica.

I'd probably get the 18-200 from Tamron (if the quality tests indicate it's a good lens) and experiment with older Leica lenses I can borrow for special purposes - what this camera gives me is the freedom to choose and be creative while turning out potentially stunning images in a small, easy to carry package that won't be obsolete in 6 months.

I don't need all the whistles and bells - I'm not interested in burst rate or different versions of HD recording I'll hardly ever use - I just want a small, thin camera with just the right combination of features and picture quality that still offers a degree of lens versatility when I want to get creative.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL
~tc~ is great to listen to... if all you want to know about is m4/3.

As for the original question, I have a guy I work with that recently picked up the NX100 and loves it. He has pulled some great images out of that camera using old Canon lenses on it. That said, he has quite a lot of cameras, one for just about every use out there. (Oddly, not a single m4/3 camera though.) Which isn't what you're alluding to for your use.

If you're only going to have one camera between those two, I'd go with the NEX7. It just has a little more of everything and most of it is pretty current. The only big knock I've heard against the NEX cameras is the focusing but that's about it.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Tamron just announced a new 18-200 lens for the NEX line, and if one forgoes auto-focus (which I certainly can), there is a popular blog that showcases the absolutely stunning photos resulting from pairing a NEX with older lenses from Leica.

I'd probably get the 18-200 from Tamron (if the quality tests indicate it's a good lens) and experiment with older Leica lenses I can borrow for special purposes - what this camera gives me is the freedom to choose and be creative while turning out potentially stunning images in a small, easy to carry package that won't be obsolete in 6 months.

I don't need all the whistles and bells - I'm not interested in burst rate or different versions of HD recording I'll hardly ever use - I just want a small, thin camera with just the right combination of features and picture quality that still offers a degree of lens versatility when I want to get creative.
Well the NEX-7 will still fit the bill there. As the third party lens manufacturers are really ramping up production, with the aforementioned 18-200 tamron, SLR magic is coming out with a 24 prime, and Sigma is working on theirs.
Another neat thing though, Sony's 50 mm 1.8 lens that comes out in a few weeks is getting very high marks in the PQ to value ratio.
But again, like many have said, the NEX-7 handles other lenses with adapters extremely well, save for the ultra-wide angle legacy lenses (magenta shift due to pixel density).
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Well, if we're talking adapted lenses then all the mirrorless designs are the same - any of them can be adapted to fit any lens. Each has some legacy lenses they will AF even. M43 = four thirds lenses, Nikon 1 = f-mount, NEX = alpha mount. The Nikon and NEX are particularly useful since they are PDAF compatible.

I actually bought my GF1 in Korea - Samsung NX would have been ALOT cheaper (half the price), but tons of "counter time" playing with it and checking out images left me "meh".

NEX7 does address my biggest issue with NEX - the UI - which, even after the firmware update is ridiculous. Unfortunately, they succumbed to the megapixel race and lost lots of ground in high ISO performance.

Combine that with the stratospheric price, and there are a helluva lot bettr options out there IMHO.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:22 pm

Well, if we're talking adapted lenses then all the mirrorless designs are the same - any of them can be adapted to fit any lens. Each has some legacy lenses they will AF even. M43 = four thirds lenses, Nikon 1 = f-mount, NEX = alpha mount. The Nikon and NEX are particularly useful since they are PDAF compatible.

I actually bought my GF1 in Korea - Samsung NX would have been ALOT cheaper (half the price), but tons of "counter time" playing with it and checking out images left me "meh".

NEX7 does address my biggest issue with NEX - the UI - which, even after the firmware update is ridiculous. Unfortunately, they succumbed to the megapixel race and lost lots of ground in high ISO performance.

Combine that with the stratospheric price, and there are a helluva lot bettr options out there IMHO.
DPReview just posted their review of the NEX-7 and the noise results are surprisingly very good. Would Sony have benefited by either staying with the 5n's sensor or the NX200's 20 MP sensor with the perfect balance of high-res and high-iso performance? You bet.
But for real world use more megapixels is great for many more applications versus high ISO performance. It all just depends on the photography you plan to do.
I'm going to talk to Sony to suggest that they stay away from the MP race. I suggest you do the same (by contacting tech support than asking to be transferred to higher tech).
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:33 am

I've got a 5N which I took to Italy on vacation. I was a bit underwhelmed by the camera ability to autofocus accurately. I like the manual focus after autofocus function though. I think the UI complaints are overblown. If you can hold off, I'd play with a GX1 before committing to either camera.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:31 am
Zds

This is not always true. Before buying my NX200 I pitted it against Panasonic GX-1, comparing size and weight in 50mm-equivalent prime configuration, and NX200 actually came first. If you look into zooms, then GX-1 has an edge, as the smallest NX zoom is still larger than the pancake 14-42mm for MFT.

This is the data I collected for myself to make the decision:
http://zds.iki.fi/zds/log/2011/11/co...table-cameras/

So, for my basic case where it's camera body and general use prime that go to jacket pocket, the NX200-based solution was cheaper, lighter and smaller.

With zoom lens the positions are reversed, at least until Samsung introduces pancake zoom lenses, but NX200 still wins on weight and image quality. The image quality obviously can be debated, but the NX200 sensor is very good and has the inbuilt advantage of having 64% more surface area than MFT.

My test shots at ISO1600 and combining from 8*ISO6400:
https://plus.google.com/114490574845...ts/THjoWk4hFfa

And test shots with ISO100:
https://plus.google.com/114490574845...ts/Vx5sPhgjG49

Overall, the per my indoor test shots NX200 has one of the best sensors in sub-$1k series, regardless of camera size.

Due to it being mid-winter and me living in Finland I have had very limited experience on outdoor shooting yet, and the auto focus is not as reliable as it is on my Canon 450D DSLR, so we'll see about that later.

The auto focus is something I hope Samsung looks into in future firmware releases, because it should be fixable just with software and with that Samsung would have winner in their hands.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:09 pm

I love the new NEX7 with it's newest feature of eliminating the shutter lag and crisp color pictures.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AA 2MM+; Marriott Plt; SPG Gold
You might want to check out Steve Huff's review of the NEX 7. A little more than halfway down he provides a fairly good (without the technical jargon) comparison to the other contenders out there. I am interested in the NEX 7 as well but I don't care for the lens offerings at launch. The ability to use Leica lenses would be great if I could still see well enough to manually focus at a reliable rate. Getting old sucks.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/1...by-steve-huff/
Old Dec 24, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: AMEX Gold, Citi AA MC, Chase Sapphire Preferred
I'm going to pick up the NEX-7, should it ever ship! I think the features overall will end up being worth the price tag once you get some hands on time with it. Ritz/Wolf put it in their catalog at $999 w/ lens, which is certainly a mistake. I'm going to see if I can hold them to it! We will see..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.