Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
I think I spend more time pondering what camera/ lenses to take on a trip that I do thinking about hotels! Not a good sign!

Here's my choices for upcoming trip with Mrs Mapleg to Japan/Singapore/Taiwan. Roughly 2 week trip and in those countries I don't worry about theft of equipment, etc or safety.

Heavy Hitter choice- Canon 6D Mk II with F4 24-105 lens (which I figure will be most used one), plus one wide angle ( 14 MM Samyang 2.8) and one telephoto zoom (probably F4 70-200 plus bring a 1.4 teleconverter, just in case!). Might even bring a 40mm prime for walking around at certain times

Easy on the back choice- Olympus OM D-EM 10 Mk II with Olympus 2.8 7-14 and 12-40 2.8 lenses. For telephoto the kit 40-150 which is very light

What I shoot-lot of urban scenes in Japan, some in airline shots and some landscapes. To be honest, not really sure I need the telephoto in either set up as I notice I don't take a lot of those shots while travelling.

I am no pro, but I really like the quality of the full frame shots and the battery life and I don't need to carry all the gear with me at once other than through airports and to the hotel and can split it up with Mrs Maplegs carry on as well. I don't use a backpack once on the road, just a Lowepro camera sling.

It's not a "trip of a lifetime" thing, but ......

Thoughts?
IMO you have to worry abut theft no matter where you travel. I have the Sun Sniper strap that has wire hidden in the material and resists someone slashing the strap and running off with your camera.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1249655-REG/sun_sniper_ssn_rb_tra_sniper_strap_the_rotaball.ht ml

My vote would be to travel light and go with the m43 kit. Also when overseas I have rarely used the 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 lens so now I leave it at home. My "go to" lens is the 12-40 f2.8 Pro which I find ideal for street scenes and most landscape shots. Also ask yourself how often you are going to use the 7-14 f2.8 Pro lens, perhaps you can leave that at home also and really travel light?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
IMO you have to worry abut theft no matter where you travel. I have the Sun Sniper strap that has wire hidden in the material and resists someone slashing the strap and running off with your camera.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1249655-REG/sun_sniper_ssn_rb_tra_sniper_strap_the_rotaball.ht ml

My vote would be to travel light and go with the m43 kit. Also when overseas I have rarely used the 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 lens so now I leave it at home. My "go to" lens is the 12-40 f2.8 Pro which I find ideal for street scenes and most landscape shots. Also ask yourself how often you are going to use the 7-14 f2.8 Pro lens, perhaps you can leave that at home also and really travel light?
I think you are exactly right. I realized after I posted my query that I likely would not use the 40-150 at all. I still am going to bring the 7-14--don't necessarily have to travel each day with it, but I really like the wide angle at times.

Oh yeah..I will bring a small lens just to go very light--the Panasonic/Leica 15mm so if I want to go out some days with a really light kit, that should do the trick.

Ps-re the strap...I do have a Pacsafe strap that is supposed to be theft deterrent, cannot cut through etc. Not sure I will bring it, I kind of prefer a Joby strap I also use. I don't think thieves are that interested in small four-thirds cameras, and again, it's mostly in Japan where theft like that is just not common. Now if it were Paris, that would be a whole different ballgame!

Yeah, the full frame Canon will be too much to lug around.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by MrTemporal
Sony RX100 for when photography is not one of the first three reasons I am visiting a place.

Olympus Micro 4/3 system for when photography is one of the first three reasons when I am visiting a place.
Agreed. Specifically, RX100 III or E-M5 12-40/2.8 and 7-14/4, although the A7 III and 16-35/4 is starting to call.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you are exactly right. I realized after I posted my query that I likely would not use the 40-150 at all. I still am going to bring the 7-14--don't necessarily have to travel each day with it, but I really like the wide angle at times.

Oh yeah..I will bring a small lens just to go very light--the Panasonic/Leica 15mm so if I want to go out some days with a really light kit, that should do the trick.

Ps-re the strap...I do have a Pacsafe strap that is supposed to be theft deterrent, cannot cut through etc. Not sure I will bring it, I kind of prefer a Joby strap I also use. I don't think thieves are that interested in small four-thirds cameras, and again, it's mostly in Japan where theft like that is just not common. Now if it were Paris, that would be a whole different ballgame!

Yeah, the full frame Canon will be too much to lug around.
I would only bring the 7-14mm f2.8 Pro lens if your hotel provides a safe to lock it up in when not in use. The Pro lenses are too expensive and you can't just leave them unprotected in your room. The PL 15mm f1.7 is a great lens and very similar to the Oly 17mm f1.8 that I like to bring with me for low light or street shots. I totally agree that 15mm paired with the E-M10 Mark ll will be the perfect combination for a super light kit.

I would still opt for the Pacsafe strap as m43 cameras and your Oly Pro lenses are in high demand not only in Japan but also in Singapore and Taiwan!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:52 am

I would only bring the 7-14mm f2.8 Pro lens if your hotel provides a safe to lock it up in when not in use. The Pro lenses are too expensive and you can't just leave them unprotected in your room. The PL 15mm f1.7 is a great lens and very similar to the Oly 17mm f1.8 that I like to bring with me for low light or street shots. I totally agree that 15mm paired with the E-M10 Mark ll will be the perfect combination for a super light kit.

I would still opt for the Pacsafe strap as m43 cameras and your Oly Pro lenses are in high demand not only in Japan but also in Singapore and Taiwan!
Thanks. Not worried about theft in Japanese hotel rooms. 20 trips there so far and I bring all kinds of stuff and leave it in the hotel as required. Most hotels I stay in have no safe, but I can always stick in in a locked suitcase or similar.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Not worried about theft in Japanese hotel rooms. 20 trips there so far and I bring all kinds of stuff and leave it in the hotel as required. Most hotels I stay in have no safe, but I can always stick in in a locked suitcase or similar.
Out of curiosity is there a reason why you selected the PL 15mm f1.7 over the Oly 17mm f1.8? I know that the IQ is slightly better on the PL butI felt it was not worth the extra money.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:52 pm

Out of curiosity is there a reason why you selected the PL 15mm f1.7 over the Oly 17mm f1.8? I know that the IQ is slightly better on the PL butI felt it was not worth the extra money.
Hmm. I did not give it a whole lot of thought. I already have a 25MM prime, so I went for the 15MM just to have something different. Here in Canada where I live for some reason the retailers have really jacked up the price of the PL 15MM...I happened to get a deal out of the US on it, so figure it may hold it's value here if I try to sell it later.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... My "go to" lens is the 12-40 f2.8 Pro which I find ideal for street scenes and most landscape shots. Also ask yourself how often you are going to use the 7-14 f2.8 Pro lens, perhaps you can leave that at home also and really travel light?
Apropos of not much, the 12-40 PRO accounts for almost 80% of all of my travel shots over the years. For travel, I tend to leave the 7-14 PRO at home and take the old 9-18mm. It is slower but a LOT smaller and lighter and still impressively sharp for an inexpensive lens.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm. I did not give it a whole lot of thought. I already have a 25MM prime, so I went for the 15MM just to have something different. Here in Canada where I live for some reason the retailers have really jacked up the price of the PL 15MM...I happened to get a deal out of the US on it, so figure it may hold it's value here if I try to sell it later.
Don't get me wrong IMO the PL 15mm f1.7 is known for it's IQ and is a slightly better lens than the Oly 17mm f1.8 so you made a great decision. You may wish to sell the 25mm at some point in the future as the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro covers that FL.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... You may wish to sell the 25mm at some point in the future as the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro covers that FL.
But not with the speed. I have both and use the PL 25mm f/1.7 for natural light indoor shots where flash is prohibited or otherwise not available. Frankly, it takes me back to my (very deep) roots of the old Canon F1 + 52 mm f/1.2 "normal" lens that I used for a LOT of newspaper work when I was embarrassingly young. It just feels like old times.
<Jeez! I really AM getting old.>
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
But not with the speed. I have both and use the PL 25mm f/1.7 for natural light indoor shots where flash is prohibited or otherwise not available. Frankly, it takes me back to my (very deep) roots of the old Canon F1 + 52 mm f/1.2 "normal" lens that I used for a LOT of newspaper work when I was embarrassingly young. It just feels like old times.
<Jeez! I really AM getting old.>
Aha, a "Nifty Fifty" type of person!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:07 am

I used my 2011 Powershot S100 as a light alternative beside my 6D + 24-105L (I bring both in my carry-on), but the Poweshot deceased and the 'lens error' could only be repaired for $200, which I found not worth anymore. So I got the G7XII and it is a really nice camera. Slightly heavier than the S100, but still a nice pocket cam. And it has a really good low-light capability. Bright 4.2x zoom lens, (stilll f/2.8 at the tele end). I considered the RX100V (better AF and slo-mo video) but the $400 extra for its price and the 3x zoom instead of 4.2x and no touch screen was a no-go for me. I don't care about 4K video which the G7X lacks.
So next air trip this is the cam to go ! But I still take the 6D with me.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Currently I travel with a Canon T6s and the 24mm pancake lens. Reasonable compact, excellent image quality.

I also leave for Croatia on... Wednesday.

Someone talk me out of buying the much more compact Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II and sticking the Panasonic 20mm pancake on it with rush delivery in time for this trip.
Old May 1, 2018, 5:15 am

Two Fuji X-T2's, one with the 18-135 lens, the other with the Rokinon 12mm lens. However, when I go to Uganda to view mountain gorillas, I will carry the Fuji 50-140 f/2.8 lens because of dim lighting in the jungle. That same trip will include a safari in Tanzania so I will be renting the Fuji 100-400 lens. I don't generally do wildlife so there's no point in purchasing the lens.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by berchman
Two Fuji X-T2's, one with the 18-135 lens, the other with the Rokinon 12mm lens. However, when I go to Uganda to view mountain gorillas, I will carry the Fuji 50-140 f/2.8 lens because of dim lighting in the jungle. That same trip will include a safari in Tanzania so I will be renting the Fuji 100-400 lens. I don't generally do wildlife so there's no point in purchasing the lens.
We are also going to view the mountain gorillas next month. I have the sony a6000 with the stock lens and one sigma 19mm f/2.8. Do you think I will get good photos with these lenses? or do I need a better lens?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.