Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:48 pm

APS-C Mirrorless. It's small and takes professional quality pictures, IMO. With certain lenses it's almost pocketable!

I use the Sony A6000 series. With the Sony 35mm f/1.8 (equivalent to 50mm) it's my fav all around lens and is so small! People think my pics are from a massive DSLR camera.

My favorite portrait lens is a Sigma 56m F/1.4 (85mm equivalent), and I can't believe how small these lens are! I got a few other primes and one zoom telephoto as well. All so "small" compared to a full frame lens.

I wanna switch to full frame someday but i can't see myself lugging those heavy lenses across the world.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
APS-C Mirrorless. It's small and takes professional quality pictures, IMO. With certain lenses it's almost pocketable!

I use the Sony A6000 series. With the Sony 35mm f/1.8 (equivalent to 50mm) it's my fav all around lens and is so small! People think my pics are from a massive DSLR camera.

My favorite portrait lens is a Sigma 56m F/1.4 (85mm equivalent), and I can't believe how small these lens are! I got a few other primes and one zoom telephoto as well. All so "small" compared to a full frame lens.

I wanna switch to full frame someday but i can't see myself lugging those heavy lenses across the world.
I used to also carry an a6000 everywhere. It replaced my much larger Canon dSLR setup that I just got tired of lugging about from country to country. My favorites for the a6000 were:
Zoom: 16-70mm f/4 Zeiss
Primes: 20mm f/2.8 Sony, 30mm f/1.4 Sigma
Misc: Pinhole Pro, Pinhole Pro S.

I would also shoot some older glass (mostly Minolta MD mount) for fun. But the 16-70 and 30mm f/1.4 were my main walkabout lenses and the 20mm f/2.8 was great for indoor usage.

Also, I just recently upgraded to an a7III, so I've kinda come full circle, almost. The body isn't that much bigger than the a6000 was, and not terribly heavier either. The lenses are definitely bigger and heavier than APS-C glass, but not as bad as my Canon L glass was. My current travel kit is the a7III, the Sony 16-35 f/4 Zeiss and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. And on this last trip to Europe, I used that 16-35 more than anything else so I'm considering selling that and the Tamron, getting the heavier, but faster 16-35 GM, and then a fast 50 instead. I like the Tamron lens, but I just didn't use it as much as I thought I would when walking around on the street, the 16-35 just proved to be so much more versatile than I thought it would be.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
I used to also carry an a6000 everywhere. It replaced my much larger Canon dSLR setup that I just got tired of lugging about from country to country. My favorites for the a6000 were:
Zoom: 16-70mm f/4 Zeiss
Primes: 20mm f/2.8 Sony, 30mm f/1.4 Sigma
Misc: Pinhole Pro, Pinhole Pro S.

I would also shoot some older glass (mostly Minolta MD mount) for fun. But the 16-70 and 30mm f/1.4 were my main walkabout lenses and the 20mm f/2.8 was great for indoor usage.

Also, I just recently upgraded to an a7III, so I've kinda come full circle, almost. The body isn't that much bigger than the a6000 was, and not terribly heavier either. The lenses are definitely bigger and heavier than APS-C glass, but not as bad as my Canon L glass was. My current travel kit is the a7III, the Sony 16-35 f/4 Zeiss and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. And on this last trip to Europe, I used that 16-35 more than anything else so I'm considering selling that and the Tamron, getting the heavier, but faster 16-35 GM, and then a fast 50 instead. I like the Tamron lens, but I just didn't use it as much as I thought I would when walking around on the street, the 16-35 just proved to be so much more versatile than I thought it would be.
I think it's almost always on an APS-C shooter's mind eventually wanting to go full frame cause you always feel like "you're missing out". Especially since I love low light/night shooting.

The a7III's body is much lighter than your old DSLR, hopefully the lens will turn out well for travel. Hopefully we can chat again in about a year and see how the switch turned out for you.

On my trips I tend to always use the Sigma 16mm (24mm equivalent) prime the most when traveling as that seems to be the best range. I'd second you getting the GM as well (it's F2.8, right?). That way you get scenery, landscapes, then with 2.8 you can shoot people with that butter background!

In the mean time I'll continue with the APS-C kit and hope for the best the next few years. Hopefully I don't bite the bullet too soon! Unless Sigma/Sony, etc. comes out with smaller lenses somehow! ��
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by SuperKirby; Oct 7, 2019 at 9:52 pm Reason: ETA
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby

Get a Canon EOS RP, which is the lightest full frame DSLR. With RF-EF adapter, it is just 500g. And a pancake 40mm f 2.8 keeps it compact.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
You wouldn't want to be limited to a prime for a trip though.
KenTarmac and SuperKirby like this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by airsurfer
Get a Canon EOS RP, which is the lightest full frame DSLR. With RF-EF adapter, it is just 500g. And a pancake 40mm f 2.8 keeps it compact.
I have to nitpick: mirrorless cameras (like Canon EOS RP) are not digital single lens reflex (DSLR) cameras since there is no mirror to provide the reflex part. And I am not sure if that dumbed down EOS RP is that good buy despite that low weight, especially as the native EOS R lens lineup seem to be more aimed for high end. Sure, the adapters allow using lenses from other mounts, but that adds little bulk and may be one potential source for some issues. Personally I would suggest a mirrorless camera from a more mature system than Canon.
abmj-jr, lsquare and SuperKirby like this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Hezu
Personally I would suggest a mirrorless camera from a more mature system than Canon.
I'd generally agree, although with the exception for the reason I got into the EOS M line -- if you have an existing investment in Canon EF or EF-S lenses.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
You wouldn't want to be limited to a prime for a trip though.
I carry an all-range zoom as well, but crazy enough I end up using primes the most during my long trips. I think cause I shoot a lot of people I want that crisp pic and that buttery bokeh (which zooms can't do compare to primes).
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by nkedel
After looking seriously at the EOS R and RP, I decided they're still too big and heavy to replace my M3 and too expensive for a walkabout, and with prices down on the M6 to sub-$500 and most of the rumor sites suggesting that the only upcoming replacement was of the chunkier M5/M50, I decided to get the M6.
...and of course, the rumors turned out to be wrong, and the models replaced were the M6 (now M6mkII) and the M100 with the M200. Grrr...

Still, the M6 has proved to have addressed pretty much every qualm I had about the M3; I'll see what the mk2 is going for next summer, and if the price has dropped I may go for the upgrade then.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
Fujifilm x100f

I used to carry one of those Panasonic’s that had the zoom and the Leica lens. Was my go to all over the world, and normally fine. Low light though it sucked. Decided to buy the x100f because of the low light problem. While it is bigger and heavier, it is not nearly the size of a full size camera. Very glad I made the switch, low light problems are a thing of the past!
sea_jeff and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:44 pm

I'm using Nikon D7100.
However, recently I bought drone (Phantom 4). And I need to say - it's completely different perspective of photography, which I loved.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:15 pm

I'm always guilty of bringing too many lenses, albeit only small APS-C mirrorless lenses, but still. I'm always afraid to "miss something".
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
M6 shutter noise...

Originally Posted by nkedel
...and of course, the rumors turned out to be wrong, and the models replaced were the M6 (now M6mkII) and the M100 with the M200. Grrr...

Still, the M6 has proved to have addressed pretty much every qualm I had about the M3; I'll see what the mk2 is going for next summer, and if the price has dropped I may go for the upgrade then.
I purchased an M6 to replace my 70D; while I was ok with its weight (even with 15-85mm or 17-85 f2.8), it’s size is imposing especially when traveling to more sensitive cultures eg. middle eastern.

i enjoyed the M6’s size and capability but it’s shutter noise was very loud. I felt very self-conscious when taking photos onboard flights. Recently I traveled to Tokyo and found an irresistible deal on a used Kiss M (aka M50) which has a silent shutter mode. It’s now my go-to camera with the M6 left at home.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy,
My Sony RX100 VA goes with me everywhere everyday, in addition of iPhone XS. Prior to that it was Canon G7x, and the S100 before that.
Did buy an extra pair of batteries and SD cards for the RX100. Love the in-camera charging feature, so no additional charger to carry, just a micro-USB cable.
For travel/vacation with checked baggage - Nikon D750 + 24-120 f/4 and Sony RX10 f/2.8 (superb long zoom constant f camera).
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by armiroc
I purchased an M6 to replace my 70D; while I was ok with its weight (even with 15-85mm or 17-85 f2.8), it’s size is imposing especially when traveling to more sensitive cultures eg. middle eastern.

i enjoyed the M6’s size and capability but it’s shutter noise was very loud. I felt very self-conscious when taking photos onboard flights. Recently I traveled to Tokyo and found an irresistible deal on a used Kiss M (aka M50) which has a silent shutter mode. It’s now my go-to camera with the M6 left at home.
You can enable the electronic shutter which is absolutely silent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.