Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Reply

Old Aug 12, 19, 8:42 pm
  #1096  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RDU
Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Posts: 187
Originally Posted by QameraTravels View Post
Having a pocket camera is handy but frankly, the place you're going to, you're not likely to ever visit again. So an investment in top quality photography gear does make sense, particularly in relation to the overall cost of one or two trips.

I use the Sony A7R3 with a 24-105 f/4 zoom lens because it is probably the best camera available and the lens hits that sweet spot of convenience and quality. Another to consider is the 24-240 but I have some issues with that lens that I can go into more detail. Total cost of this package will be in the area of $3500.

If that is too much, the Sony A6400 is a bit smaller, has amazing eye tracking, and can use a wide variety of lenses.
I'm very happy with Sony gear. I just sold off my a6000 and APS-C lenses to fund an A7III as I'd been interested in FF for a while (getting back to that 35mm size that I started on). It was a very tough choice between just buying an a6400 body and upgrading all the way to full frame, and in the end, I don't regret it one bit (so far). Part of me still thinks I should have just gone with the a7RIII now that the prices are dropping since the a7R IV announcement, but that just means in another year I'll be able to pick up an a7RIII even cheaper
strickerj likes this.
Dread Pirate Jeff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:29 am
  #1097  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 7
I use sony alpha 6500 and it's been great, although I'd really love to get some day sony alpha 9
Foplecaroundtheworld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 19, 4:53 pm
  #1098  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *A, ST, OZ, DL, BA, AS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,952
I don't know about you guys, but I will be getting the Sony RX100 VII the second it's released.
lsquare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:45 pm
  #1099  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Posts: 422
Been using a Fuji X-T3 with the 18-55 for travel and it’s great! It’s not the smallest, cheapest, best IQ or best video camera ever, but it is the best balance of all of those things. It’s also incredibly fun to shoot with, so you’ll actually want to bring the camera with you all the time.
sea_jeff, gooselee and strickerj like this.
Dave510 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:25 am
  #1100  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *A, ST, OZ, DL, BA, AS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,952
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
Been using a Fuji X-T3 with the 18-55 for travel and itís great! Itís not the smallest, cheapest, best IQ or best video camera ever, but it is the best balance of all of those things. Itís also incredibly fun to shoot with, so youíll actually want to bring the camera with you all the time.
I also have that camera as well. Blazing fast AF. I pair mine with the 18-135mm lens.
sea_jeff likes this.
lsquare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 19, 5:41 am
  #1101  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 371
Just bought the brand new & latest Sony RX100 VII.
Can't wait to try it on the Dubai ski slope soon
lsquare and Tuppe like this.
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:11 am
  #1102  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 5
Camera-travel

When I travel I want to have quality services from all points of view.I always want to be accommodated in a premium hotel, rent good quality cars, eat the mot delicious food and take professional photos. In this case, I choose hotels like Ramada and Mariot, I rent cars from Hertz or Premium Rent, because here I have the best price-quality ratio and from the point of view of the quality of the photographs I bought a Nikon D500 body.
LOLYdemetria is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 19, 2:39 am
  #1103  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *A, ST, OZ, DL, BA, AS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,952
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
Just bought the brand new & latest Sony RX100 VII.
Can't wait to try it on the Dubai ski slope soon
I got my money in for a pre-order. My store is telling me any day now.
lsquare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:30 pm
  #1104  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 371
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I got my money in for a pre-order. My store is telling me any day now.
In France, it was officially out/available the 12th of August (Monday last week).
But yes Isquare, you were right about the shop I chose - though it was supposed to arrive next week (the 28th), but a mail received today stipulates the camera is now ready to be picked up.
The comparison with the Sony A6300 will be interesting tomorrow...
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 19, 1:52 pm
  #1105  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *A, ST, OZ, DL, BA, AS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,952
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
In France, it was officially out/available the 12th of August (Monday last week).
But yes Isquare, you were right about the shop I chose - though it was supposed to arrive next week (the 28th), but a mail received today stipulates the camera is now ready to be picked up.
The comparison with the Sony A6300 will be interesting tomorrow...
Different sensor size so not exactly a fair comparison. I think you'll be impressed with the new camera. I had a RX100 camera before and I was amazed at the quality of the photos from such a small camera.
lsquare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 19, 10:42 am
  #1106  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 371
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I think you'll be impressed with the new camera. I had a RX100 camera before and I was amazed at the quality of the photos from such a small camera.
Yeah for sure - as still using the handy but limited Cyber-shot DSC-W610
From which RX100 mark are you upgrading to?
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 19, 10:53 am
  #1107  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: London UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 2,248
I'm not as absorbed as I was with photography and now just use my Huawei P20. Simply the best I've taken.

Simple, easy to use, and always close by.
Cris L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 19, 11:17 am
  #1108  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SDQ
Programs: Pre✓, Delta PM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Gold, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 781
iPhone 8 and 2018 iPad Pro cameras for me right now. Easy, accessible, very high quality and multi-use devices. I've gotten some great shots with both of them that are indistinguishable from a DSLR. I can also post process on the iPad with Lightroom - very convenient.

Eventually, I'll step up to a DSLR-esque mirror-less but not at this time. The technology is changing soooo rapidly ... I'm keeping an eye on things. At home I'm still rocking the Canon 60D. I've got my eye on the 90D when it's released but I'm open to Sony as well. As a videographer I've also got my eye on the Black Magic pocket 6K.

Last edited by KenTarmac; Aug 21, 19 at 12:07 pm
KenTarmac is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 19, 4:48 am
  #1109  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: HEL
Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Posts: 8,308
Originally Posted by LOLYdemetria View Post
When I travel I want to have quality services from all points of view.I always want to be accommodated in a premium hotel, rent good quality cars, eat the mot delicious food and take professional photos. In this case, I choose hotels like Ramada and Mariot, I rent cars from Hertz or Premium Rent, because here I have the best price-quality ratio and from the point of view of the quality of the photographs I bought a Nikon D500 body.
You are surely aware, that taking professional photos has little to do with the camera you are using?
lsquare, KenTarmac and strickerj like this.
WilcoRoger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 19, 4:50 am
  #1110  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *A, ST, OZ, DL, BA, AS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,952
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
Yeah for sure - as still using the handy but limited Cyber-shot DSC-W610
From which RX100 mark are you upgrading to?
I had the RX100 IV and V before I sold them.
lsquare is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread