Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:24 pm

Despite the weight, I stick with the Pentax digital full-frame K-1. It's very weather-resistant, takes excellent photos, and I live the versatility of being able to change lenses. My photography plans have an impact on which lens(es) I bring with me, and whether or not I travel with a flash or other kit.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Every time I take a trip, I dither over what to take. I think I spend more time doing that than booking hotels and building rough itineraries. Not a good sign! Some places you travel to you hesitate to bring your best equipment, but this is back to Japan where you really can walk around with any camera you want and no one bats an eye.

Going to Osaka next week and going to bring full frame 6D Mk ii with 24-105 as the main lens, the pancake 40MM 2.8 for evening, and just for the fun of it a manual focus wide angle Samyang 14mm. Not sure how much I will use it but it may give me some interesting shots at night in Dontobori and some landscape shots when I travel out of town.

Also going to bring a Fuji x70 I have as a small pocket camera for when I want to go super light. It's not a camera I see mentioned here a lot, but since I already own it and it's so small and rechargeable via USB, why not? It actually takes very good photos and I really like the Fuji colour renditions.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by docbert
WOW! They're up to VI now - I'm still using my RX100 III and loving it, but really tempted to upgrade. I wonder how much difference there is with this latest model.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by andrejc77
WOW! They're up to VI now - I'm still using my RX100 III and loving it, but really tempted to upgrade. I wonder how much difference there is with this latest model.
As for image quality, the difference is probably incremental in the best case.

For options, gimmick, etc, probably a larger difference. For the lens, it's whether you prefer the larger tele range on the VI vs faster lens on the III
andrejc77 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:33 am

I have Olympus TG-4. I like that it's tough and can take quality photos.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: none
I find that camera phones these days are just as competent as digital cameras and dSLR's. I use a smartphone (my OPPO F1s).

Last edited by lofirick; Oct 22, 2018 at 9:06 am Reason: wrong spelling
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah if you only view the photos on the small phone screen or low-res versions on social media sites.
abmj-jr and sea_jeff like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Theres certainly something to be said for the camera you always have on you, but the physical lens and sensor sizes are a limitation that software trickery cant make up for. Particularly in low light or high speed applications, theres no substitute for a professional DSLR camera.

That said, Im perfectly happy with my Fuji X-T20 as a compromise between quality and portability.
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by lofirick
I find that camera phones these days are just as competent as digital cameras and dSLR's. I use a smartphone (my OPPO F1s).
My present phone has finally caught up to my last non-interchangeable lens digital camera in image quality when shot at wide angle (a Canon S95 -- basically a 2009 vintage camera, given how mild of an upgrade it was over the S90) and I suspect a year-newer and higher end model can do better at various degrees of zoom. I suspect a present non-interchangeable lens pocket camera like the G9X II or G7X II will do quite a bit better, but I really couldn't see getting one.

I'm very happy with an APS-C mirrorless camera (EOS M3 and will probably upgrade it whenever either they replace the M6 or if there's big price drop, with the M6 itself) and one of the cheaper full-frame DSLRs (EOS 6D). I'm curious about full-frame mirrorless, but I have enough existing Canon glass that I don't see changing systems and the first-generation EOS R is too big to really be an improvement on the 6D -- if they come out with a smaller, rangefinder style full frame camera I'd be pretty much all over it.

I don't see ever getting another pocket camera -- or another APS-C DSLR.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
I'm very happy with an APS-C mirrorless camera (EOS M3 and will probably upgrade it whenever either they replace the M6 or if there's big price drop, with the M6 itself) and one of the cheaper full-frame DSLRs (EOS 6D). I'm curious about full-frame mirrorless, but I have enough existing Canon glass that I don't see changing systems [b]and the first-generation EOS R is too big to really be an improvement on the 6D]/b] -- if they come out with a smaller, rangefinder style full frame camera I'd be pretty much all over it.
I don't see ever getting another pocket camera -- or another APS-C DSLR.
The EOS R is smaller and lighter (but not much) than the 6D, due to the lack of a mirror box. Moreover with the (included) EF adapter, you can continue to use all your EF and EF-S glass on the R. The R is more or less a 6DMk3 as it is the same 'entry' level FF DSLR of Canon, but without mirror.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by docbert
So it turns out I wasn't "Just sayin'", and I actually picked up one of these a few weeks ago.

I haven't had a good chance to use it yet, but I did take it up to Yosemite National Park last weekend and took it hiking with me.

I've hiked with all of my cameras before, from my DSLR (Canon 70D, normally with a 17-40 or 28-135), to my Mirrorless (Nikon 1 S1) and down to a compact (most recently Nikon Coolpix S8200). Each of course has it's advantages, and each it's disadvantages.

The RX100M6 made a great compromise between everything else. The size was such that I could keep it in one of the water-bottle holders on the side of my daypack (where I normally keep my compact - the bigger ones don't fit), which meant that it was always at hand - unlike the bigger cameras. The zoom range is better than any of my other cameras with a single lens (My DSLR goes from 17-400, but only if I want to take 3 lenses). The image quality easily beats the compact, is probably similar to the mirrorless, and close enough to the SDLR for the types of shots I was taking.

But the feature I ended up liking the most was the viewfinder. Even with a nice bright LCD screen, when you're outside on a bight and sunny day, standing on a massive slab of granite which is reflecting the sun back at you, it's always difficult to get a clear idea of what you're photographing. The viewfinder solves that completely. It took a few shots to get used to it being a screen (rather than an SLR viewfinder), but once I had it was just so natural to use.

The only real disadvantage I came across, which is one I knew I was going to hit, was the lack of a polariser. I use C-PL filters fairly regularly on my DSLR/Mirrorless, especially on outdoor shots, but the RX100M6 doesn't have a filter ring. There are hacks to give it one, but at this stage I'll just have to live with attempting to simulate one in Photoshop after the fact.

The panorama feature... well.. it failed miserably in many shots - although I'll put that down to what I was photographing and it likely won't be the same for other locations. See the image below for an example - notice the massively repeated patterns where it's messed up the joins.

All up, after only a little use I'm more than happy with my US$1K investment. (Purchased in Australia for US$1100, with a $100 GST refund on the way out of the country).

100% crop of a climber repelling down (a dry) Yosemite Falls, taken from half-way up the Yosemite Falls Trail @200mm. I'm not going to claim this is a brilliant photo, but the simple fact is that with any other camera I wouldn't have had a 200mm lens with me, so I wouldn't have been able to get this shot. Like they say, the best cameras is the one you have with you, and I can see myself having this one with me a lot more than my bigger ones :

100% crop from a failed pano :

Last edited by docbert; Oct 23, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by airsurfer
The EOS R is smaller and lighter (but not much) than the 6D, due to the lack of a mirror box. Moreover with the (included) EF adapter, you can continue to use all your EF and EF-S glass on the R. The R is more or less a 6DMk3 as it is the same 'entry' level FF DSLR of Canon, but without mirror.
I hadn't seen the reports of the EF adapter being included; interesting -- not that the base adapter is expensive.

The 6D is good enough (right now), and the EOS R not that much smaller or that much better to be worth the fairly sizeable investment for my particular use. The live view focusing, where the 6D is old enough to be very slow, would probably be the big inducement for some; as might the ability to use EF-S glass (but I don't have any I'd care to reuse) -- but the R with any lens I could see buying is still going to be too bulky to be a grab-and-go camera to replace the M3. If they stick with the system, I imagine there will be a smaller rangefinder style one at some point, and some of the smaller Sony FF rangefinder-style builds indicate that it may be small enough to get down to basically one camera for everything. We'll see
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lately Sony a7r3. 24-70 f2.8 lens and f.95 50mm mitikon. Sometimes 100-400mm zoom. Or 70-200 f2.8.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:43 am

I just used my new Pixel 3 XL as the only camera for our Europe trip. It is not as good as a real camera but also it weight nothing, fit in pocket, and waterproof LOL. That later part was important as it was raining quite a bit on the trip. I can't believe how great the low light pictures turned out. In most cases, the pictures actually look better than RL. There are details and colors that I can't see with my eyes showing up on the pictures.

sea_jeff, andrejc77 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Were you using the special low light modes, where it takes multiple shots and blends them together?

Is that mode available for panoramas too?

Night exposures will often look better than the naked eye because you're accumulating a lot of light, even faint light, over a long period.

I took my first astro photos over Lake Tekapo last night. Took a bunch of 25-second exposures and a lot of stars I couldn't see with the naked eye show up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.