Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by JClishe
Honestly the S95 seems primitive compared to most current flagship smartphones. And I was big fan of the Sxx line having owned an S90, S95, and S100. But now that raw capture is possible on both iOS and Android I have a hard time justifying the S line.
I've yet to see a smartphone with the optical quality that the S95 has. It's still my go-to if I don't want to carry an ILC around; likely to be getting a G9X II or III at some point to replace it.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:27 pm

Pentax K-70 for serious shots, iPhone for quick snaps, and a film camera for novelty factor.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by nkedel
I've yet to see a smartphone with the optical quality that the S95 has. It's still my go-to if I don't want to carry an ILC around; likely to be getting a G9X II or III at some point to replace it.
I recently received a Huawai P10+ Smart phone equipped with Leica lens. I was skeptical of the phone and the camera at the beginning, but after giving to a try, I was pleasant surprised. It out performs my iPhone 7.

I have been a loyal user of the Sony Rx-100 series. Owned version i, ii, iii and iv, and was ready to purchase the v until I got my hand on the Huawai-Leica phone camera, now I use the Huawai smartphone a lot more than my Sony Rx-100iv during my travel.

See DP review of the Huawai-Leica Camera phone:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/hua...-camera-review
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I recently received a Huawai P10+ Smart phone equipped with Leica lens. I was skeptical of the phone and the camera at the beginning, but after giving to a try, I was pleasant surprised. It out performs my iPhone 7.
I've got hte Mate 9, which is another Huawei-Leica collaboration (although the camera may be a bit lower end.) It's a very good camera -- for one in a phone. I've gotten much better results out of the S95, and that's a 7-year old (almost 8) model with a much smaller lens and sensor than the current crop of large-sensor pocket-able cameras, and the fundamental physics of lenses and sensors being what they are I don't see that changing.

Obviously there's a big gap from that to 4/3 or APS-C, and then to full frame (or digital Medium Format not I see that ever getting small enough to travel) and there ARE plenty of times on the road when I've just got my phone. But it's still been worth it to me to carry the S95 (in a belt holster, something I'd definitely get if I pick up a G9X Mk II or hypothetically III at some point) a lot of times when I wouldn't bother with the EOS M/M3 or the 6D
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
I have always felt the S95 I had before moving up the line was the best of the bunch. some of my favorite shots were taken with it.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I use the camera in my Samsung A5 phone and then run pics thru photoshop as required.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by termlimit
I have the Canon 50D and I love it. It doesn't have HD video as that was introduced in the 60D, but it still takes great photos.

What does everyone else use when on travel I am just curious.
I am having Sony Cybershot RX 100 and I use to carry that only for my every trip.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by JoeJMcLennan
I am having Sony Cybershot RX 100 and I use to carry that only for my every trip.
I have a Sony RX100 M5 and that was my only camera in my one week trip to NYC last fall. Not bad. Although I wish it had a longer lens. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of speed for that.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jacknyoc
I have always felt the S95 I had before moving up the line was the best of the bunch. some of my favorite shots were taken with it.
I agree...unfortunately I left mine on a plane and never saw it again.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by The_Mileonaire

This has been my regular photo backpack throuhgout the last 2 years. Obviously a bit on the heavier side (especially with an additional tripod at the side), but I just hate the feeling of experiencing some awesome travel moments and not having my best gear with me...kinda like the fear-of-missing-out of photographers
Could you tell me what make/model that backpack is? I am in the market for one like that.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Could you tell me what make/model that backpack is? I am in the market for one like that.
That's just a standard camera backpack design. Anything in particular you like about it?

https://www.lowepro.com/prorunner
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/pages/backpacks
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:04 pm

The S95 isn't even that great anymore. I carried one until I broke it in 2015. I seriously beat the camera up. Took to every bar, club, trip, etc that I could. I got an S110 refurbed after that, but honestly, the quality isn't even that great anymore. I pit the S110 against my Pixel XL in 2016 for some low light tests and the Pixel XL actually wins out for ISO noise. The noise reduction is ridiculous on this phone.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:56 am

I think I spend more time pondering what camera/ lenses to take on a trip that I do thinking about hotels! Not a good sign!

Here's my choices for upcoming trip with Mrs Mapleg to Japan/Singapore/Taiwan. Roughly 2 week trip and in those countries I don't worry about theft of equipment, etc or safety.

Heavy Hitter choice- Canon 6D Mk II with F4 24-105 lens (which I figure will be most used one), plus one wide angle ( 14 MM Samyang 2.8) and one telephoto zoom (probably F4 70-200 plus bring a 1.4 teleconverter, just in case!). Might even bring a 40mm prime for walking around at certain times

Easy on the back choice- Olympus OM D-EM 10 Mk II with Olympus 2.8 7-14 and 12-40 2.8 lenses. For telephoto the kit 40-150 which is very light

What I shoot-lot of urban scenes in Japan, some in airline shots and some landscapes. To be honest, not really sure I need the telephoto in either set up as I notice I don't take a lot of those shots while travelling.

I am no pro, but I really like the quality of the full frame shots and the battery life and I don't need to carry all the gear with me at once other than through airports and to the hotel and can split it up with Mrs Maplegs carry on as well. I don't use a backpack once on the road, just a Lowepro camera sling.

It's not a "trip of a lifetime" thing, but ......

Thoughts?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I don't have a light option other than iPhone.

I think in the past couple of years, I find most of my favorite shots end up being panos that I shoot handheld or from my iPhone.

Even before panos, I would find that most of the focal lengths used in my library are around 24-35 mm, some around 50 mm. That's from shooting mostly landscapes and for architecture, it's usually a wide shot, not too many tight shots on details.

If I shot street photos, then I'd probably use a longer lens.

I do pack a wide prime and a long telephoto zoom in addition to my walking around lens but rarely change lenses.

I'm going to Singapore as well later this year and I would imagine I will be looking at doing some night photos of the skyline and such. I just ordered an L bracket, so that I can try shooting vertical long exposures in order to stitch them together.
chipmaster likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:49 pm

Sony RX100 for when photography is not one of the first three reasons I am visiting a place.

Olympus Micro 4/3 system for when photography is one of the first three reasons when I am visiting a place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.