Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:58 pm

Nikon D7000 with 35mm 1.8, Tokina 11-16, and Nikon 55-200. Also carry a Panasonic Lumix for quick shots/close quarters.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:09 am
iau

For me traveling means photo opportunities so I always bring my DSLR, which at the moment is a Nikon D7000 with a 16-85mm. I bring my 80-200mm telezoom if I know I will be needing it (wildlife) and/or a prime. Since we usually rent a car carrying luggage is not my main concern except for the flights.

In the past I have also brought a P&S. On my last travel I brought a X100 and was very happy with it. Am going on a short weekend trip in a few days and will be leaving my DSLR behind and only bring the X100 and my recently acquired Nikon J1. Between my DSLR and P&S there have been a few M43s.

I don't print large and the main reason for bringing DSLRs are the better dynamic range and overall image quality. Would love to bring less but old habits are hard to change.

- iau
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Sony NEX-5. I'm not a big camera geek
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:02 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I use a Canon 60D with a large variety of lenses depending on what I'm up to.
After shooting for decades, I've accumulated a large selection of bags.
I recently fell in love with this stealth bag if you go down on the listing, you can see the camera insert paddy that I also use.
http://www.amazon.com/GT%C2%AE-Heavy...1&sr=8-1-spell
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Avios
For me the Canon SX230 HS works best.

Initially I bought a Nikon 5100 but the idea of carrying around lenses, a large camera body, etc. for me was overkill and not something I wanted to do while traveling.

The Canon fits the bill for me as a person who likes to take nice pix while traveling.

It has full HD video, a nice 14x optical zoom, excellent image quality, relatively easy to use AND gps tracking and logging!

Again, for me, the Canon fits the bill!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:13 am
Suspended

Best camera for travel shoot

I have cannon EOS 60D , and its performance is awesome .. so in my opinion cannon EOS 60D is the best choice ..^

Email Marketing|Pay Per Click Management|Website Development

Last edited by lisaalex; Dec 9, 2011 at 5:35 am
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:11 am

Started with a Canon S95, wanted something a bit nicer, so I upgraded to a Canon T2i...that lasted about a month before I realized I really did not want to carry around a DSLR everywhere. Especially since we are traveling carry-on only which means weight and space are both at a premium.

Eventually settled on a Panasonic DMC-G3 with a 20mm pancake lens. It's small enough to carry around in my day pack, light enough to take on long hikes without it bothering me, has a built in electronic viewfinder for use in bright light, and takes great photos.

Sample shots taken in Hong Kong (click for big):

Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:45 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Olympus E-PL1 with Panasonic 14mm f2.5 attached + Panasonic 20mm f1.7 + 14-42 kit lens along with a VF-2 EVF and plenty of batteries.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA,WN, Hilton Honors, Marriott
Olympus Pen E-Pl1 with the 14-42 and 40-150 lenses. That's it. Wide to telephoto in 1.5 pounds, built in flash.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:41 pm

Sony DSC-TX7 because size does matter...it was a present but I immediately loved the design and handling. it could be faster though.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: most of them
I'm just back from a month in SE Asia. Took my D7000. I really wanted to cut down on the amount of stuff I needed to carry so I had only 2 lenses, a Tamron 18-270 VC PZD and a trusty Nikkor 50mm 1.8. I used the 50 only a couple of times.

I recently invested in the Cotton Carrier system and I have to say it worked out pretty well even though I got some funny looks. It was nice to have for getting on and off boats and walking around ruins and crowded places. The tripod plate was invaluable since I used my tripod a fair bit and it was nice to not have to take the Cotton Carrier hub off any time I wanted to use the tripod. I also got the CC handgrip (I think it was free when I bought the carrier from Adorama) which is really great for when you just want to carry the camera around. I didn't miss a neck strap at all, but I had taken my Op/Tech neoprene strap along just in case.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:44 pm

Canon S95. Shoots RAW, shoots high def video. Just about all I need. Grew tired of hauling around the SLR+equipment and having to constantly babysit it. I'd rather experience my vacations rather than hiding behind the viewfinder.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by firequall
Canon S95. Shoots RAW, shoots high def video. Just about all I need. Grew tired of hauling around the SLR+equipment and having to constantly babysit it. I'd rather experience my vacations rather than hiding behind the viewfinder.
Me too. Had a Minolta XE for many, many years with zoom, wide angle, etc etc. Now I have a plain old simple cheap Polaroid 8 megapixels light conveninet camera.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:32 pm

Minimalist: Blackberry or iPod camera
Lightweight: Canon G11 + 270EX flash

Of course, time and space permissible, bring a DSLR with zooms and flash, with a P&S as backup.

With Aloha,

Clarence
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:07 pm
Jib

Programs: DL 5MM+/FC/DM through 2022, UA PEX, Marriott PPMLT, Starwood PM, Hertz PM
Nikon D3s and stable of lens, mostly Nikkor 24-70 and 70-200

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.