Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Scheitan
Just switched to Fuji X-Pro 1 with the 35mm F1.4 for travelling from my Nikon D300 and I have to confess that the Nikon has been sitting at home on a shelf ever since I boought the Fuji.
I've thought about buying this type of camera in the past. My impression was you could get near dSLR quality and control without having the bulky dSLR body. Glad to hear you're liking it. Still haven't decided to take the plunge yet... maybe soon. Until now, I still have a Canon P&S.

I used to have a Canon xTi but unfortunately no longer.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Hmmmm, when travelling?

Usually both Nikon DSLRs with their vertical grips, plus 12-24/f4, 17-55/f2.8, 80-200/f2.8 and 300/f4 lenses. One or two SB600 flash units and their SU800 commander unit. IR remote release. Big tripod. Battery chargers. Colored gels and flashlights.

Travelling light, I might leave one DSLR body and the 300 at home, and probably the flashes as well if I don't think I'll need them.

I have a P&S and a mirrorless compact as well and I'll usually find room for one or another in my bag. They take nice snapshots but no way they'll match what my DSLRs do.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Hmmmm, when travelling?

Usually both Nikon DSLRs with their vertical grips, plus 12-24/f4, 17-55/f2.8, 80-200/f2.8 and 300/f4 lenses. One or two SB600 flash units and their SU800 commander unit. IR remote release. Big tripod. Battery chargers. Colored gels and flashlights.

Travelling light, I might leave one DSLR body and the 300 at home, and probably the flashes as well if I don't think I'll need them.

I have a P&S and a mirrorless compact as well and I'll usually find room for one or another in my bag. They take nice snapshots but no way they'll match what my DSLRs do.
Are you a pro? That is a lot of gear for a semi-pro hobbyist.

I carry my Fuji X10 on all my trips. Works great in the day time , ok at night. Wish I had waited for the X20 with the info in the finder.

When I go somewhere for business and I'm staying over a weekend, or know I'm going to play hookey from work, I'll take my 5DII 24-105L, my 17-40 if I know I'm going to be in a lot of churches or something. They are just hard to pack in carry on, especially if I have my work stuff. (I'm getting close to ditching the 15inch laptop and just going iPad/tablets. I always have grand illusions of getting work done on foreign trips and it rarely pans out beyond something I can do on a tablet.

I do think the Fuji X1 pro or the new Sony A7r will be in my bag soon. I have some M glass to use.

That said, my favorite camera to travel with is my Leica CL with the 40/f2. Fast, light, small. It pushed the edge of the envelope for high quality pics from a small package.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
D7000, Nikon 17 - 55 2.8, and SB710. Sometimes I'll take my Tamron 70 - 300 di VC, but the 17 - 55 stays on 95% of the time.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: Airline independent, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Canon T3i with a Tamron 28-75 as my regular, walkabout lens. However, sometimes I won't feel like lugging my big camera around and will make do with a camera phone. Blasphemy, but sometimes it's nicer to be enjoying an event/scene instead of taking photos..
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: 1MM; UA GS; United Club; Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold); SPG Gold; National Exec Elite; Global En
Canon 5D Mark III w/some combination of these lenses depending on what I expect to make photos of: 24-105mm, 50mm, or 70-300mm. Latest Canon flash. iPhone 5S in pocket.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 12:36 am

Sony RX-100 wins it for me. It is slim enough , therefore very portable. I always take it with me. I did not initially want to buy it because of the small zoom (3.6x).

In the end it turned out well. The battery keeps the camera going for a full day. I do not use zoom too often, therefore no problems here. The pictures turn out just gorgeous. I do not know about other cameras, but when you upload your pictures to the computer from this one, you can press auto rotate and all pictures will have the correct orientation for viewing (this is because of built in camera sensor). Have not tried it under water.

You need to get used to the location of flash. It pops our right in the corner where you usually hold your finger.

Maybe somebody can tell me, I use 32GB SD card, but does this model support 64GB SD card too?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:25 pm

5dmk 3 + 16-35mm + 50mm + 70-200 ^
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:45 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by forgottenlife
Excellent pictures, do you have any others?
I'll get more from my phone soon.

The ones below were from my Panasonic G3. This is how I see it. My LG G2 takes good enough photos that I can leave my P&S at home (or give it to a friend). The photos are generally pretty good and I love it's a breeze to upload online. Anything serious though and I'd want to use my Panasonic G3.

You just get better color depth and more detail out of a larger sensor... not to mention, it's easier to compose with a traditional camera.

That being said, I'll use my Canon 7D for any paid jobs.

Panasonic G3 photos:

Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by arturox2
Canon 5D Mark III w/some combination of these lenses depending on what I expect to make photos of: 24-105mm, 50mm, or 70-300mm. Latest Canon flash. iPhone 5S in pocket.
Ooof I would dread having to take that much gear simply for pleasure.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:04 am

bring nikong is good, I take a d7000 last time I traveled to china it worked good
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; AA 2MM+; Marriott Plt; SPG Gold
I've been using my Fuji X-E1 when traveling for the last year and have mostly been very happy with it. I picked up the 23mm f/1.2 when it came out to go with my 18-55mm zoom. It makes for a much lighter kit than carrying my D800 with an assortment of glass. I was all dialed in and happy with the Fuji as my travel kit until...

I bought the new Nikon Df. I have a feeling the Fuji will be collecting dust or will be sold off. I will be taking the Df on a couple of trips next month so we'll see, but I fully expect the Df with a couple of primes and, maybe, my 24-120mm VR zoom to be my standard travel kit for the foreseeable future. I like shooting in low light and hate flash. It just doesn't get any better than the low light performance of the Df.

David
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat
Canon 5d mkii + flash 24-70mm 2.8L and 70-200mm 2.8L IS. If I'm going to an island, I'll bring my b+w circular polarizer as well.

GoPro Hero3 Black with some mounts.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: A3 *G, HH Gold
When I'm not traveling light (aka check-in). Nikon D7100 with the vertical grip. Lenses are 12-28 f/4, 80-200 f/2.8 and occasionally a 50 f/1.8. Then I typically round it off with a SB700 flash and a very collapsable tripod. I have brought a lightstand with umbrella and reflector before on trips were photography was one of the main purposes.

When I'm traveling light, out goes all the Nikon and lighting stuff and in comes the Panasonic GF-3 with a 14mm f/2 pancake lens. It really can fit in a decently sized pocket and still takes decent pictures.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:47 pm

Canon SL1 w/ 18-55 STM. Just picked up a 50 f/1.4 and 40 f/2.8 but have not brought those on a trip yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.