Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by miclee15
+1 on the Sony RX100 - I never go anywhere without it. Small enough to slip in jean pockets and the photo quality cannot be beat given it's a full size sensor.
Just to be clear, the Sony RX100 is not a "full size sensor" (which I take to mean full-frame/35mm). It is not even an APS-C size as it is 1". The Sony DSC-RX1, however, is full-frame. Nevertheless, the RX100 is a great relatively small camera. And, as the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Just tried traveling with my EOS M (one week, multiple stops in Asia, mostly visiting friends.)

Not a winner; too slow and clumsy to replace a DSLR, too big to be pocketable or as inconspicuous/go-everywhere as my S95.

At least until I get a phone with decent optics, I don't see traveling without the S95 again.

If the M2 is enough better, I could definitely see bringing this again on trips where I'd otherwise bring my DSLR, and even without that there are some where right now I only bring my S95 and I'd bring the current M as a second camera.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:41 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by joony
The iPhone camera has been getting better after picking up the new one last week. The iPhone 5s is definitely rich in features - burst mode, slightly larger sensor, faster lens, 120fps movie, better low light performance. Just tried it out on a recent trip, not bad at all. Won't be replacing the 5D Mark III though
I agree - while it's not the proper tool for serious photography, the iPhone is quickly becoming my standard / everyday camera. The 5S is really good. My only complaint is the lack of zoom.

My DSLR only comes out for very special occasions these days.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
I've seen GoPro cameras poolside and other people seem to get into them. So that in some cases makes for great interaction. They take some remarkable stills, timelapse and video. Add a handle or GoPole and some remarkable stills and video can be had.

Timelapse mode in itself is neat... set it for 1 frame every second or two and you never have to trigger the shutter. Yes a lot of wasted shots but it can capture things without any real setup.

Of course they can get wet too. Even diving deeper than the current crop of waterproof cameras.

So next trip the GoPro goes along with my Canon S110.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001
I've seen GoPro cameras poolside and other people seem to get into them. So that in some cases makes for great interaction. They take some remarkable stills, timelapse and video. Add a handle or GoPole and some remarkable stills and video can be had.

Of course they can get wet too. Even diving deeper than the current crop of waterproof cameras.

So next trip the GoPro goes along with my Canon S110.
I mount a go pro to my dslr's shoe when plane spotting - great combo of video and photo of the same subject.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: some
Just switched to Fuji X-Pro 1 with the 35mm F1.4 for travelling from my Nikon D300 and I have to confess that the Nikon has been sitting at home on a shelf ever since I boought the Fuji.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:55 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

My phone - LG G2 and a Panasonic G3

I've been impressed with my phone's photos, but you can't beat the large sensor of the Micro 4/3's. Honestly, I've only picked up my Canon 7D for paid shoots since getting into the Mu4/3 scene a year and a half ago. So much smaller and lighter and the IS is great, leaving less need for fast lenses except for sports and whatnot (what I get paid for)

Shots from my Paris / Dublin trip with my LG G2 phone. Overall not bad. Night pics are blah due to the higher ISO but still make decent Facebook photos

Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Currently using a Canon S100 or it's my iPhone 5.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:52 am

My Camera...

I recently bought a CANON - IXUS 135, after reading some positive reviews.

Ready to chronicle my travels in photograph form.

I know it is a bit late now, but what do my fellow Flyertalkers think?

Hopefully you will be reasonably positive.

Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Currently using a 7D with EF100L, and a an EF-S 10-22. My gf, however, have an Olympus EP5 with the 17mm F1.8. I regularly "borrow" it, and have been leaving the 7D in the hotel room more and more.

The EP-5 is an awesome little camera - good manual controls (for those of us with some idea as to what we are doing), excellent image quality, and a nice lens lineup. It's also small, and has very quick and accurate focus. The built in Image stabilisation is magic, and I am now finding that I am taking 1/5 second exposures hand held (with the 17mm lens).

Luckily, my girl has bought one, so I don't have to...

Z...
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:12 am

Quality Pix

Originally Posted by caveruner17

Excellent pictures, do you have any others?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, CC Gold
I usually take both a 7D+17-55/2.8 and a S90 as a backup. I was actually considering taking just a point and shoot since the 7D plus glass is easily over 5 pounds. But then someone said something very insightful: that I may travel to regions of the world where there are very few tourists and not many people have captured those places with good equipment.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:50 pm

Samsung Galaxy camera. It has great zoom and other features, is small enough to travel nicely.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Assuming price difference didn't matter - anyone have any experience shooting underwater with either the Sony DSC-RX100 or Canon S110 or 120?

I currently have the Canon Elph 300 but have been disappointed with the underwater pictures. I'd like to upgrade to a new level compact. Although the Canon above is cheaper, the underwater housing for it is more expensive - making the price difference not as great as assumed. So I'd buy the one that took better pictures. Thoughts?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My Dad gave me an early Christmas present today, a Nikon S9500. Seems like it's going to be a good travel camera, I especially like the 22x zoom. I played around with it earlier and it seems to do well in low light situations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.