Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: CX Gold
Using a Sony Nex-7 with a SEL18200LE. Great pictures from a small package!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
Originally Posted by fevercity
Just looked at one of these over the weekend.
SL1 has me rethinking my Lumix or RX downsizing [from t2i].
Can't seem to let go of optical viewfinders just yet.
I'm using the Canon SL1 and really like it. Canon made a GPS device that is advertised for the new 70D but it works beautifully with the SL1 as well. That's a big plus for me. I go on at least one long trip a year and, in the past, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out where a photo was taken by matching the date and time stamp to my route on a map. Now the GPS takes care of that for me.

Just be warned that a heavy lens makes the SL1 seem off balance if you are used to a bigger DSLR.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by workandski
Just be warned that a heavy lens makes the SL1 seem off balance if you are used to a bigger DSLR.
Can't be nearly as bad as using a big lens on the EOS M -- just got the adapter, and the 15-85 IS and the 70-300 IS are both comically heavy and unbalanced on it.

The 50mm/1.4 is not too heavy, although it feels bulky, and BOY does it focus fast compare to either of the native EF-M lenses.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold

How are you carying all these heavy camera's on your trips?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
Originally Posted by workandski
I'm using the Canon SL1 and really like it. Canon made a GPS device that is advertised for the new 70D but it works beautifully with the SL1 as well. That's a big plus for me. I go on at least one long trip a year and, in the past, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out where a photo was taken by matching the date and time stamp to my route on a map. Now the GPS takes care of that for me.

Good to know, workandski. And thanks for the heads-up. The SL1 I handled did have that light, stock 18-55 which is pretty light / plastic-y. Gonna try a weird one like the Tokina 16 and see how odd it gets. I mostly stick to the wide zooms for landscapes but can imagine a tele on that body would get a little wonky. Need to research that GPS deal as well. While I don't normally need geotags in the backcountry, I could see how it would be a huge help street shooting in cities.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by barte
How are you carying all these heavy camera's on your trips?
I don't. That's why I downsized from Nikon DSLRs to M4/3. The rig, especially the lenses, is far smaller and lighter. The bodies are around 2/3 the size and half the weight, and the lenses are around 1/2 the size and 1/3 the weight.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
Originally Posted by flyboy60
I don't. That's why I downsized from Nikon DSLRs to M4/3. The rig, especially the lenses, is far smaller and lighter. The bodies are around 2/3 the size and half the weight, and the lenses are around 1/2 the size and 1/3 the weight.
Don't you have problems with low light photography with a smaller sensor?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by barte
Don't you have problems with low light photography with a smaller sensor?
Nope - ISO 1600 is excellent, and ISO 3200 is certainly useable. Even ISO 6400 in a pinch.

I have a native prime lens that is an f1.7, and a couple of adapted lenses that are f1.4s. If I really needed faster (and I don't) Voigtlander makes a couple of f0.95 lenses for Micro 4/3, and Panasonic just announced a 42mm f1.2.

Keep in mind, I was moving from an APS-C DSLR that was 4 years old (a Nikon D90).
My current E-PL5 uses a sensor technology that is comparable to the D90's successor the D7000, in terms of it's high ISO performance. My other camera is a Panasonic G5, which is almost as good - still quite good at ISO 1600, with 3200 usable.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:22 pm

GH3. Awesome camera. Use it for both stills and video. Love the m43 format. Lenses are small and portable. Anything up to ISO 3200 is useable IMO, and with a fast lens, this covers all of my shooting situations. For me, there is simply no point in carrying around APS-C size sensors anymore.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shootingrubber
GH3. Awesome camera. Use it for both stills and video. Love the m43 format. Lenses are small and portable. Anything up to ISO 3200 is useable IMO, and with a fast lens, this covers all of my shooting situations. For me, there is simply no point in carrying around APS-C size sensors anymore.
I should add that the Panasonic GH3 is pretty clearly the best camera in the Micro 4/3 system if you are serious about both stills and video. IMHO, it's a bit of overkill in terms of size and weight if you, like me, don't care much about video.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by flyboy60
I should add that the Panasonic GH3 is pretty clearly the best camera in the Micro 4/3 system if you are serious about both stills and video. IMHO, it's a bit of overkill in terms of size and weight if you, like me, don't care much about video.
For me, I personally prefer its form factor over some of the smaller m43 cameras or mirrorless cameras, as I really like the grip. It's easy to shoot with and to hold I find. I had an OM-D E-M5 and I found it annoying to hold for long periods of time.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shootingrubber
For me, I personally prefer its form factor over some of the smaller m43 cameras or mirrorless cameras, as I really like the grip. It's easy to shoot with and to hold I find. I had an OM-D E-M5 and I found it annoying to hold for long periods of time.
For me, size and weight are paramount. I don't hold a camera for long periods of time, my neck does, by a strap.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Nikon D800E or Fujifilm X20
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:29 am

I usually take a Canon 5d mk iii and a 16-35L or 24-105L. I don't mind the weight but that's just me.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:20 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
The iPhone camera has been getting better after picking up the new one last week. The iPhone 5s is definitely rich in features - burst mode, slightly larger sensor, faster lens, 120fps movie, better low light performance. Just tried it out on a recent trip, not bad at all. Won't be replacing the 5D Mark III though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.