Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Personal off-site photo backups

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by sama
I´m using the Glazier, but till now, I haven´t used the download mode at all,
it's not a valid backup until you've tested all the aspects (storing new data, retrieving old data)...

I've seen stories about business that do regular backups but never test them.... when they really needed the backup, they couldn't retrieve it (tape was faulty, drive was fault and didn't actually write data, compression/settings were incorrect and they were backing up corrupt data etc, or worse: they weren't actually backing up data)
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Need
Google Photos now has unlimited photo/video backup for free. Photos up to 16MP and videos up to 1080P. It does a lot of extras too. I like the animations and trip collections. The auto face grouping is surprisingly accurate. The best part is it is now separate from Google+. I really hate Google+ so I never considered using its photo backup before.
Seems like everyone is taking advantage. I started backing up my 49,000 photos/videos to Google Photos within a few hours of launch, and it's only completed about 12k. Not sure if this is because Google's network is being crushed or my 5mbps DSL upload speed.

I'm using two off-site backup sites now: Google Photos and Crashplan. I also use OneDrive for my phone photo backups, but that is just a temporary stop until it gets moved to my two local backups, then to the two cloud backups.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Jun 1, 2015 at 6:23 pm
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Seems like everyone is taking advantage. I started backing up my 49,000 photos/videos to Google Photos within a few hours of launch, and it's only completed about 12k. Not sure if this is because Google's network is being crushed or my 5mbps DSL upload speed.
Well even if all your 49,000 are pictures at around 2MB in size, it would take about 45 hours to upload at full 5mbps speed. And if some of them are bigger in size or some are videos.. it will take longer!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.mylyve.com/ is decent - it ingests all your photos to its storage unit, and as soon as you add additional units, no matter where they are, it'll start replicating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.