Search

Recommend a compact travel zoom

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Recommend a compact travel zoom

Hi,

Headed on a 2 week trip to India. I don't want to bring my SLR. I have an really old Olympus superzoom and a couple of year old Sony compact with 5X zoom. I think that today, I can get a superzoom in compact form factor. Some candidates are Casio Exilim EX-FH100 and Samsung HZ35W. Anyone with experience with these or others care to chime in and help?
Thanks,
M
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:54 pm

did you read the dpreview compact super zoom test? They liked the Samsung HZ35W.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q210grouptravelzoom/

You can read that thoroughly and get a good overview of how all the entries handled and performed in their tests.

-David
Old Jan 2, 2011, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

I ended up with a Panasonic ZS6. I opted for this over the other 2 after reading reviews on Amazon and dpreview and deciding that I wanted the better picture quality. Costco had the ZS6 and Amazon had the ZS7. I opted for the ZS6 because it was less expensive, longer battery life, and I didn't feel like I cared about GPS and geotagging (major feature upgrade on the ZS7 vs. ZS6.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Thanks for the super zoom link. I was at B and H last week playing with some of them deciding if I wanted to go compact or not, and that really helps work through the decision process.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by mikel51
I ended up with a Panasonic ZS6.
That was a good choice. My brother has the older ZS3 and he raves about it. ^
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
+1 for the ZS6. Bought one for the wife. Solid, excellent camera, and pocketable.

Actually, it was a ZS5. Cheaper, without GPS.

Last edited by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime; Jan 11, 2011 at 12:14 pm Reason: ZS5, not ZS6
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The OP has already found something, but given that he* ended up with a Panasonic and other posts here like them as well, readers of this thread might want to check out the just-announced ZS10 (TZ20 in Europe, go figure) and ZS8 (TZ18 there). Zoom now up to 16x. March availability, pricing to be announced.

More about them, with specs and Panasonic's press release, on the dpreview site here.

Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

I've had the zs6 less than 30 days, so thinking about returning to Costco and getting the new model.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Question

I want to see if anyone has more information to share.

I have looked at the Canon SX230 but it seems to not have the battery life I will need (only 100 photos without a recharge)

The Sony HX5V only has a 10x zoom and proprietary cables

So I seem to be left with the Fuji F550, Nikon S9100, Panasonic ZS10.

Thanks for any opinions and help
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:05 am

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
I've always had good luck with the Panasonic (Lumix), and believe...supported by many on this site and many industry reviews...that Lumix is certainly better overall product than Nikon P&S and likely Fuiji as well.

Originally Posted by nissan720
I want to see if anyone has more information to share.

I have looked at the Canon SX230 but it seems to not have the battery life I will need (only 100 photos without a recharge)

The Sony HX5V only has a 10x zoom and proprietary cables

So I seem to be left with the Fuji F550, Nikon S9100, Panasonic ZS10.

Thanks for any opinions and help
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I've just picked up the Fuji F550EXR and quite like it.

I had the Sony HX5V and I find the Fuji quite a bit better overall. The main issue I have with the Fuji is the GPS lock time is quite long; this can be overcome, at the expense of battery life, by leaving GPS logging on.

The Fuji also has RAW shooting, however it's not supported by Adobe yet, so it only works with the included Silkypix software which I don't like.

There's quite an extensive review of the F550 at kimletkeman.blogspot.com if you're interested in camera.

Adrian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.