Wiki Posts
Search

Camera recommendations for plane-spotting

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Camera recommendations for plane-spotting

I'm facing the possibility of replacing my Lumix DMC-TZ3 which has been my faithful companion over quite a number of trips over the past 3 years. Now I'm getting complete black from the imager. The LCD comes on, I can adjust all the settings, I can review previous pictures taken, the lens extends, etc. .

So, while I'm hunting down resources online to try to revive it, I thought I'd also start doing some legwork on a replacement if that becomes necessary.

I'm trying to avoid becoming a member of the Ridiculously Huge DSLR Club because I need another $3500 hobby like I need an SSSS on my BP.

I do take a lot of scenery shots and also do a lot of planespotting from both inside the terminal and from the window-seat.
The 10X optical zoom of my (probably late) Lumix has whet my appetite for more and I see there are 12-18X out on the market now. I also like the "Window Seat" program setting but really don't care about puppies-n-kitties-babies presets.

I occasionally shoot video, mostly of take-offs and landings or my robots.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
I need another $3500 hobby like I need an SSSS on my BP.
I want to know what this means. LOL.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:12 pm

The new Canon SX30 with 35x optical zoom and 720p HD video might be an option for you.

I loved my old S3 and my current S5 which are previous generations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.