Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

S95 $350 at Amazon

S95 $350 at Amazon

Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by jacknyoc
yes, been tracking the s95 and pretty disappointed that the price had not been dropping...in, fact, it seems to be going up. the LX5 is $100 or so under msrp...interestingly enough. sounds like it's got your name all over it : )
S95 seems to be having trouble staying in stock, so pricing staying around MSRP makes sense. T2i body did the same things for months, and only recently got cheaper.

Which doesn't help when I want an S95 now, but I'm definitely going to go take another look at the LX5 in person... if I'm going to spend about $400 on either, the LX5 looks like the likely winner
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
so, tell me, why the s95? i thought you were sold on the LX5. I'm curious what's drawing you to the s95...I'm going through the same debate, as you know. thank you

Originally Posted by nkedel
S95 seems to be having trouble staying in stock, so pricing staying around MSRP makes sense. T2i body did the same things for months, and only recently got cheaper.

Which doesn't help when I want an S95 now, but I'm definitely going to go take another look at the LX5 in person... if I'm going to spend about $400 on either, the LX5 looks like the likely winner
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so, tell me, why the s95? i thought you were sold on the LX5. I'm curious what's drawing you to the s95...I'm going through the same debate, as you know. thank you
I'm not completely sold on either at present prices - both are still pricier than I'd like, but at present pricing the LX5 looks a bit more attractive.

Most of my plusses/minuses are the same as I mentioned up-thread, although I'm a bit more concerned about the size of the LX5 than I was, although I'm hoping to find one nearby at retail to take another look at ideally right after an S90/S95, and a little concerned about the lack of a stereo mike.

I'm also more used to the Canon menu system having owned a lot of older Canons (DRebel, Rebel XTi, A70, S400, S60) and have not been that enthused with dealing with the UI on my wife's cheaper Panasonic.

Even with those factors, at present pricing the tougher decision is not S95 vs. LX5 but rather "one or the other now, vs. waiting a few more months to see what happens to pricing." I've not found a good review looking at the video capabilities of either, which is particularly important for me (otherwise, I'd already own an S90.)

Still, either of these is far better than either of the P&S I currently use (my S60 with a good daylight sensor raw capable and fairly capable manual overrides but otherwise thoroughly obsolete... or my wife's DMC-FS15, which has very good photo quality but no HD video and no raw and essentially no manual overrides) these are both far, far better cameras and compared to the S60 the LX5 is not much bigger.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
S95 prices haven't dropped fast enough for me and, sadly, neither have close-out or refurbished S90 prices. Luckily, however, I came across a like-new S90 on eCrater for $250... I bookmarked it until I could sell one of my less used Nikon lenses and, out of luck, it dropped to $225 about 2 hours after the lens I was selling was purchased on eBay. I snapped it up Monday and it arrived today.

I couldn't be happier given the price, condition, and fact that I won't feel the need to lug my Nikon dSLR to several locations and events where I like to have better-than-average snapshots but prefer lighter weight as well (theme parks, children's events, family holidays, etc).

My wife has taken to using her iPhone for snapshots since her older Kodak P&S is nearly unusable other than in daylight, thought she's started carrying her Creative Vado HD flip-style video camera in its place. With me carrying the S90 and her carrying the Vado HD video camera, we'll together have all of the bases covered, and she can shoot video at the same time I'm shooting stills. Teamwork
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:54 pm

I downgraded from a DSLR to an S90 and never looked back. I don't really miss the optical viewfinder and don't need HD video, so I wasn't too miffed when the S95 came out. Still I'm only really happy with the S90 on the wide end. As soon as you zoom, you lose a lot of lens speed and image quality. So I'm very interested in Sony's latest offerings NX3 and NX5, though I'm skeptical about the lack of physical control and the lens size.

Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:39 pm

interesting. are their Canon products, like the S90 and S95, USA models? thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
S95 prices haven't dropped fast enough for me and, sadly, neither have close-out or refurbished S90 prices. Luckily, however, I came across a like-new S90 on eCrater for $250... I bookmarked it until I could sell one of my less used Nikon lenses and, out of luck, it dropped to $225 about 2 hours after the lens I was selling was purchased on eBay. I snapped it up Monday and it arrived today.

I couldn't be happier given the price, condition, and fact that I won't feel the need to lug my Nikon dSLR to several locations and events where I like to have better-than-average snapshots but prefer lighter weight as well (theme parks, children's events, family holidays, etc).

My wife has taken to using her iPhone for snapshots since her older Kodak P&S is nearly unusable other than in daylight, thought she's started carrying her Creative Vado HD flip-style video camera in its place. With me carrying the S90 and her carrying the Vado HD video camera, we'll together have all of the bases covered, and she can shoot video at the same time I'm shooting stills. Teamwork
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$366 on Amazon tonight. Dropped enough for me to have pulled the trigger, although since it's the weekend and won't ship until monday morning (or tomorrow night) I should have a little while if I get cold feet.

Can't remember where I saw the LX5 around locally, and didn't find it again when I was looking last weekend. This is the safer-choice (for me) size-wise and given my positive experience with other Canon models.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
S95 at this moment Sunday 11/14, it's $349 on amazon

Equal to a coupon price from Friday. I was going to get an LX5 for $365 with the coupon but didn't get home before midnight. That model unfortunately is not cheaper today.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure enough, it's $349 today. Bugger, the one I ordered is already labelled "shipping soon" despite not shipping on the weekend (due here Weds) and Amazon's policies page says they won't honor the new price despite that.

Oh well.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure enough, it's $349 today. Bugger, the one I ordered is already labelled "shipping soon" despite not shipping on the weekend (due here Weds) and Amazon's policies page says they won't honor the new price despite that.

Oh well.
Email them anyway. As long as the seller is the same (ie. not from a third party seller), they'll almost always make an exception. Tell them in the email that you'd be tempted to return the one you get and place a re-order for the lower price. That will usually get them to make a "one time" price adjustment.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Email them anyway. As long as the seller is the same (ie. not from a third party seller), they'll almost always make an exception. Tell them in the email that you'd be tempted to return the one you get and place a re-order for the lower price. That will usually get them to make a "one time" price adjustment.
Seller was Amazon proper, and already emailed before I looked back here. Amazingly, they've already responded - they've got good coverage for email response on weekends. "One time exception" it is, although it's good to know that this is the kind of "one time exception" we often see from the airlines.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:30 pm

good news...and good help from FTers. looking forward to hearing your thoughts...good luck and have fun with it.

Seller was Amazon proper, and already emailed before I looked back here. Amazingly, they've already responded - they've got good coverage for email response on weekends. "One time exception" it is, although it's good to know that this is the kind of "one time exception" we often see from the airlines.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good news...and good help from FTers. looking forward to hearing your thoughts...good luck and have fun with it.
Good news indeed. Annoyingly for anyone on the fence it's back to $366. Many thanks to everyone's input on this (and my earlier thread and a couple of other S90/S95 threads).

I've got a week in SEAsia and will be post my thoughts (and have some photos and video to share) when I get back.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:16 pm

and back to $389 this AM...good going

Good news indeed. Annoyingly for anyone on the fence it's back to $366. Many thanks to everyone's input on this (and my earlier thread and a couple of other S90/S95 threads).

I've got a week in SEAsia and will be post my thoughts (and have some photos and video to share) when I get back.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:46 am

I just picked one of these up on craigslist the other day for $290, had the receipt and all. So far I really like it, the depth of field stuff is much better than I anticipated and I like the ring for changing settings. Very nice, well worth $290, and so far much better images than the zs7 I just sold, though having gps built in was a cool feature (but the Sony a55 I have coming should hold me over on that front).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.