Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Best place to sell used photo equipment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP

I've got a Nikon D300 + 18-200mm VR II lens in mint condition (no signs of wear, under 3000 snaps) with original boxes and accessories that I'm looking to sell. What is the best internet site to do so (aka the venue in which I am likely to get the best price or at least have the most interested parties)
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by icedancer
I've got a Nikon D300 + 18-200mm VR II lens in mint condition (no signs of wear, under 3000 snaps) with original boxes and accessories that I'm looking to sell. What is the best internet site to do so (aka the venue in which I am likely to get the best price or at least have the most interested parties)
I have sold a lot of stuff on Amazon Marketplace. Not necessarily the best prices, but least hassle. However, there are like 17 used D300 there, so you have a lot of competition in this case. Fewer 18-200 VR II there, though.

For Canon stuff, the POTN forums have a classified section with good traffic; don't know about Nikon, except fredmiranda.com.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:53 am
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
for Nikon
www.nikonians.org
I believe there is a buy/sell/trade section there.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
I have sold a lot of stuff on Amazon Marketplace. Not necessarily the best prices, but least hassle. However, there are like 17 used D300 there, so you have a lot of competition in this case. Fewer 18-200 VR II there, though.

For Canon stuff, the POTN forums have a classified section with good traffic; don't know about Nikon, except fredmiranda.com.
If you are willing and able to spend the time to take proper photos and write up a thorough description, then eBay is still the best place - it has by far the largest audience and, usually, you will get the highest prices.

If you want the most hassle free method then KEH is your answer, but don't expect to get anymore than 55-60% of what they themselves will sell it for or what you could get on eBay.

The problem with selling equipment on forums is that you have absolutely no protection whereas both eBay and places like KEH do offer you some degree of protection.

Last edited by anrkitec; Sep 10, 2010 at 12:11 pm
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by anrkitec
If you are willing and able to spend the time to take proper photos and write up a thorough description, then eBay is still the best place - it has by far the largest audience and, usually, you will get the highest prices.
True, I know a lot of times people would actually pay close to, or even higher than, retail price for new stuff; especially with auctions and not "buy it now".

I used to sell on eBay too, but the listing effort is just too much trouble for me, and with some products with lots of merchants selling new stuff, I find my "simple" listing would get lost among them.

I don't know if and how eBay has dealt with this, but the worst is when someone win a bid and not pay up.

Last edited by rkkwan; Sep 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
I'd recommend Amazon as well. I used it recently to sell a 2 year old D300. Got a good price. ^
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'd say eBay, just because I don't go shopping there when I'm looking for gear. I can always find a good deal at FredMiranda, as there's a much smaller audience and sellers tend to drop prices quickly when there are no takers.

Anything I've sold, I sell on eBay, and it's where I would go next.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Another vote for E-bay. Check the listings of ones that have sold, and see if you can see a pattern as to which get the higher prices (checking the day of the week and time of day the auctions ended too, as that can really make a difference).
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: most of them
Craig's List can work well too. I sold a Nikkor lens there. I got a decent price and the buyer got a bargain for a lightly used lens.

There's also gazelle.com for selling all sorts of electronics. You won't get as much money as selling it privately, but it is hassle-free.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Another for Ebay. I have used it before and it was very easy to use.

Delta747
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Stupid question perhaps, but how do I view auctions that have finished on eBay?

Fred Miranda looks promising, but I'm disappointed about the $25 subscription fee to join the Buy/Sell board.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icedancer
Stupid question perhaps, but how do I view auctions that have finished on eBay?
Click on "Advanced Search", type in your search terms, check the "Completed Listings" box, and then hit "Search".
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Or in the search results, look at the Refine Search list on the left, and click on the same "Completed Listings". You have to be logged in to see completed auctions.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Got it, thanks! Looks like there's quite a range of winning bids.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Nikon Cafe is free, but there's a minimum post count before you can see the For Sale forum. When selling in forums, it's the buyer who's burdened with the lion's share of the risk, not the seller, especially if using Paypal along with a confirmed shipping method.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.