Wiki Posts
Search

DSLR Dilema

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
DSLR Dilema

I purchased an EOS Rebel DSLR a number of years ago and have really enjoyed the camera. I don't use it as an every day camera but do enjoy the great picture quality it provides. I've been looking at some of the new DSLR cameras but I'm torn between keeping my current set-up and buying a new camera. The main reason I've looked at buying a new camera is the increase MP and the ability to shoot HD video. While the camera I currently have is more than adequate from an MP standpoint (not blowing up pictures or using in a professional environment) and I have a smaller point and shoot with HD, do I gain anything by upgrading to a newer camera?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: most of them
Anything that really matters? probably not. They are always adding more MP and other little tweaks in order to keep us all upgrading. But if you know your camera well and are happy with what it can do and how it does it, then I don't think buying a new body makes much sense.

dSLR video is a very limited thing, at least on my Nikon D90 it is. Maybe the newer Canons offer autofocus during recording, but I don't think they do. Unless you have a very specific need for it, your P&S probably has a much better video mode that allows zooming with autofocus during recording. Of course the sensor is a lot smaller and so forth, but how much video do you really shoot? And if you do shoot a lot of video, then a dedicated camcorder will likely give you better results. Personally I almost never shoot video with my D90 or with my P&S cameras. But I am just more of a stills guy, everyone is different.

You should probably use the money to invest in new lenses instead of a new body.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
In my opinion, yes, depending on what you do with the pictures. If you're looking for highest quality, think about an upgrade. If you're comfortable with snapshot quality, you may be OK staying with the Rebel.

I went from the Canon Rebel to the Canon 7D. It was a night/day difference. But that's a pricy upgrade....

The sensors in the new cameras are a lot better, as are some of the features (like shutter speeds, noise, and equivalent film speeds). For downloading, I find the 7D to be much better and much more functional. The HD video feature is fun, too. That said, I also have and still use a Canon EOS3 film camera.

If you have a local camera store that'll let you do some comparisons take your current camera and shoot a few frames, then do identical shots with the new cameras you're considering (preferably using the same lenses).

Take memory cards home and compare.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Unless you're printing bigger than 8x10 or so, the additional MP's probably won't buy you much in resolution/quality. Newer DSLR bodies will have better high ISO noise performance, more responsive controls, a bigger LCD screen, etc. But if you're happy with what you have, there's not really a need to spend the $$$.

If you're looking for an HD video camera for a lot of use, you're better off with a dedicated camera, IMHO (I bought a Canon a few months ago). As mentioned, DSLR video typically doesn't have autofocus or many of the features that a dedicated video camera would. The larger sensor does bring image quality benefits over the smaller video camera sensors, but it takes a lot of dedication, effort, additional equipment, etc., to get it.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you're happy with the camera and its features, you can upgrade your photography by putting money into better lenses.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If you're happy with the camera and its features, you can upgrade your photography by putting money into better lenses.
You do not want to "upgrade" for more MP. However, unless you do not mind the weight and bulk of a full size SLR, there are now newer models that have all of the features and half of the weight of the EOS rebel.

More importantly, whilst MP are not so important (unless you want to do really large prints -- 16x20, 20x24, etc., in which case it most certainly DOES matter), there are a number of cameras out there now with larger sensors, which vastly improves the image quality in low light conditions. Again, though, if you are shooting mostly outdoors, not so important.

So in summary, I would recommend you upgrade if and only if:

1) you want something lighter
2) you want to do very large prints or
3) you want to do stuff indoors without flash
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great help in making this decision. Looks like I'll be investing the money into some different lenses. I love the fell and images of the Rebel and really wasn't sure if the money was worth it. Thanks for the help!!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:42 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by DCATravel
Thank you all for the great help in making this decision. Looks like I'll be investing the money into some different lenses. I love the fell and images of the Rebel and really wasn't sure if the money was worth it. Thanks for the help!!
When considering a new body, the key factors should be something else than pixels. I upgraded from an old Nikon D70 (6 MP) to a Nikon D300 (12 MP) about a year ago. While the doubled pixel count is nice, the biggest advantages to me are improved auto focusing and metering, much easier spot metering, much better high ISO performance, much faster shooting speed, and bigger LCD screen. If you think improvements like that matter to you, then you should consider a body upgrade, otherwise lenses are definitely the best bang for the buck.

Cheers,
T.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you are shooting long range shots, the added pixels are nice to have around. my wife shoots wildlife pics at about 4-500 feet. we need a bigger better lens, but canon 800mm lens cost some serious money for a retired.

Last edited by slawecki; Jul 3, 2010 at 5:17 am
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by slawecki
we need a bigger better lens, but canon 800mm lens cost some serious money for a retired.
At $10,699 it costs some serious money for most non-retired too, including yours truly

Cheers,
T.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I purchased an EOS Rebel DSLR a number of years ago and have really enjoyed the camera.
[...]
The main reason I've looked at buying a new camera is the increase MP and the ability to shoot HD video.
If you have the origina 2003-2004 vintage D-Rebel, I'd encourage you to upgrade; 6MP is in some ways enough, but going from that to a 2006-vintage XTi, the big difference was NOT the jump in megapixels, but in focus speed and accuracy, quality of metering, etc. The D-Rebel was NOT up to what my old EOS A2 film camera could do for either; the XTi is, and I've not yet seen a need to replace it. The CR2 raw format used in the XT and later cameras is also a lot better than the original Canon RAW format.

If you've got at least XTi (I don't have any experience with the XT, but I suspect it would be true for it as well), the difference will be less compelling - but even there, the image processor jump will be from the Digic 2 to Digic 4 (assuming you're looking at the T1i or T2i, and since the XS/XSi don't do video.) The high-ISO performance will be much better, aside from the resolution improvement. Personally, I have not found the T1i a big enough jump to get it, although I plan to get a T2i once they've been in-channel long enough for the price to come down below list (unless something compelling comes along first, or I win the lottery and can get a 5D Mark II instead.)

As for video, DSLR video can be lovely quality if you know how to get but from what I've seen on friends' cameras it is a real pain to use casually or to get good results without a lot of work. Unless you're doing very serious stuff where you can rig a tripod (or something steadycam like), and can mix your own audio, or you REALLY want shallow depth-of-field (and have the lenses to support it), you'd do much better with a moderate-priced HD camcorder, and even a moderately-priced P&S will be a lot easier to get decent results out of.

Originally Posted by CPRich
Unless you're printing bigger than 8x10 or so, the additional MP's probably won't buy you much in resolution/quality.
By and large yes, but iIf he's talking about the original 6MP D-Rebel, you're already technically below an "ideal" 300DPI at 8x10, and while in practice you can get good 8x10 or 8x12 prints from 6MP (250DPI) that does not leave you much room for cropping.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

In looking at some of the suggestions provided, I have to ask another question, would you choose another DSLR or something different like the Sony NEX-5 Alpha? It offers some of the DSLR options but at a much smaller size. I would definitely be limited in lens options but it would match most of the photography that I'm doing.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In looking at some of the suggestions provided, I have to ask another question, would you choose another DSLR or something different like the Sony NEX-5 Alpha? It offers some of the DSLR options but at a much smaller size. I would definitely be limited in lens options but it would match most of the photography that I'm doing.
I was intrigued by the Sony - the picture quality looks stellar, and there is a decent selection of lenses. The problem is the interface. I switch functions and modes quickly, making fast finger-tip changes to mode, aperture, shutter, exposure, etc. The Sony interface makes that next to impossible, and thus makes the camera essentially a non-starter for me.

So I'm faced with the same dilemma - upgrade the body and lens, upgrade the lens or look at a smaller (perhaps 4/3) option, as none of the P+S models do what I need.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:38 am
uk1
Suspended

I have one. It is absolutely brilliant. What do you need a mirror for?

With the pancake lens it fits in the pocket so you get the benefits of your old camera but the picture quality of a dslr. The other lens fits in the other pocket. It's an extraordinary camera and I'm so pleased I bought it.

The debates about the camera can be confusing. It is intended for the likes of you and me who want something better than the current camera. Serious photographers might like them for anyone of lots of other reasons. Some pictures and debates can be found here and here. I suggest you don't get overly confused about the debates but think from scratch whether this might be for you. In my view the camera was designed and launched specifically for me. I want first class pictures. I want a small camera. I don't mind spending a bit more - my photographs are priceless for me. I want the camera to be primarily very easy to use but provide function on the odd ocaision I might need it. So "ease of use" and extraordinary pictures are the primary need - easy deeper function and knobs are the relatively minor sacrifice.

Let me give examples of a couple of features.

The camera has a panorama mode, but it is different from other cameras. Other cameras essentially take a video of the panorama and then a photograph of the video (forgive the non-tech speak if I have this wrong) so the quality is somewhat lower. Serious photogrpahers take a series of pictures and then use software to knit the images together. The results take a lot of power, time and the results can be variable.

The NEX 5 uses the manual process but within the camera. In other words it takes a series of 14 megapixel images and knits them within camera into one extraordinary panorama. It also will do this in 3d for true 3d tvs. I simply cannot make sense (as someone orignally from the computer industry) of how a camera has the power to do such things.

It has another mode for taking pictures in poor light. In simple terms it takes three pictures very quickly. One at normal exposure and one set higher and one lower. It then merges the three pictures together to produce what traditionally would have to be a "flash" shot.

Read more about the Sony.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I was intrigued by the Sony - the picture quality looks stellar, and there is a decent selection of lenses. The problem is the interface. I switch functions and modes quickly, making fast finger-tip changes to mode, aperture, shutter, exposure, etc. The Sony interface makes that next to impossible, and thus makes the camera essentially a non-starter for me.
There are currently only two lenses - another in the pipeline and all others can be fitted by adapters. Two lenses are enough for me!

Re GUI - with respect - have you tried it or are you making the mistake of relying on a few reviews by DSLR owners? The camera isn't primarily aimed at that market.

Like all things, if you spend an hour or two learning then often the extraordinary advantages become bigger and the minor so-called quirks recede.

If you want any more info - just ask - happy to help.

PS: If you happen to use two screens for your PC (I use 2 x 1920 x 1080) then the panorama shot as wallpaper across two screens make your holiday piccies constantly there .............

Last edited by uk1; Jul 19, 2010 at 2:11 am Reason: ..... the PS
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by uk1
There are currently only two lenses - another in the pipeline and all others can be fitted by adapters. Two lenses are enough for me!

Re GUI - with respect - have you tried it or are you making the mistake of relying on a few reviews by DSLR owners? The camera isn't primarily aimed at that market.

Like all things, if you spend an hour or two learning then often the extraordinary advantages become bigger and the minor so-called quirks recede.

If you want any more info - just ask - happy to help.

PS: If you happen to use two screens for your PC (I use 2 x 1920 x 1080) then the panorama shot as wallpaper across two screens make your holiday piccies constantly there .............
The most important thing for me is a wide range zoom (18-200+) with high quality glass and a wide F range, especially at the open end and with minimal distortions when stopped open at the wide end and a very crisp image at max zoom.

I was reading a review of the camera recently in one of those big glossy UK digital photography magazines, and they were impressed, but not that impressed...I got a similar feeling from the DPReview report as well. Great picture quality, but the interface is a problem for serious photographers who need quick access to different functions and settings.

I will check it out myself, if I can find one to play with at my local camera shoppe. I was thinking about a full upgrade to a Nikon DSLR with a newer VR-enabled 18-200 or 18-300 lens - but that upgrades my pixels and images without changing what I need to haul around the airport, my luggage or my shoulder when hiking.

If the Sony can deliver images of similar quality to a Nikon DSLR and Tamron 18-200 lens, at the same price, in a half-size package with added bells and whistles (in-camera HDR, panorama, etc), then I will need to consider it, provided the interface is workable for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.