Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Long Exposure Photos - Post Yours!

Long Exposure Photos - Post Yours!

Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:23 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I was just going for a wider depth of field when I set my aperture to f/22, but I do like the starburst effect on long-exposure night shots, so I'll add that bit of info to my brain and hope it sticks.
I was like you when I started to shoot SLR, I thought the higher the F-stop the sharper the image, but then I learned about diffraction, for the most part f10-f13 should allow for plenty of DoF. You might just want to leave the shutter open longer, so instead of 30 seconds, do one full minute and see what that looks like. The starburst effect can be achieved by a filter if you really wanted to have it. I also learned that when doing good or real macro work, then you should use a higher F-stop, or if you were doing some homage to Ansel Adams. Personally I rarely shoot over f13, f10 in most cases for me is extreme. Hope this helped...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
I was like you when I started to shoot SLR, I thought the higher the F-stop the sharper the image, but then I learned about diffraction, for the most part f10-f13 should allow for plenty of DoF. You might just want to leave the shutter open longer, so instead of 30 seconds, do one full minute and see what that looks like. The starburst effect can be achieved by a filter if you really wanted to have it. I also learned that when doing good or real macro work, then you should use a higher F-stop, or if you were doing some homage to Ansel Adams. Personally I rarely shoot over f13, f10 in most cases for me is extreme. Hope this helped...
But I like the way those pics turned out. Without a starburst filter. At f/22.

What's wrong with them that using a wider aperture would have fixed?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:26 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I just wanted to interject because someone came in here asking for advice, and what you told them is wrong. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16024858-post179.html Still had your bursts, although they make the image look busy if you want me to get technical, this isn't a photography website, so it doesn't matter, you like them that's fine. You just rarely shoot at that high of an aperture...read the following link and maybe you'll understand. FYI next time if you ever decided to print your image out at a high resolution it will look like crap.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...0&changemode=1
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I just wanted to interject because someone came in here asking for advice, and what you told them is wrong.
If you believe the details in my post above are wrong (though it's pretty much the same as your referenced thread), I'd be glad to discuss over at dpr - I have several thousand posts over the last decade there also.

But I like the way those pics turned out. Without a starburst filter. At f/22.What's wrong with them that using a wider aperture would have fixed?
Nothing's wrong with the images as posted for web usage. As I noted above, if you want to print these at 18x12 or so, the image degradation due to diffraction would be quite noticeable.

But what's important is what you like. When (typically dpr-type) folks tell me what I should do to a photo, especially when it is about obeying certain "never do that" technical rules, I like to visit this site.

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 16, 2011 at 8:28 pm
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
If you believe the details in my post above are wrong (though it's pretty much the same as your referenced thread), I'd be glad to discuss over at dpr - I have several thousand posts over the last decade there also.

Nothing's wrong with the images as posted for web usage. As I noted above, if you want to print these at 18x12 or so, the image degradation due to diffraction would be quite noticeable. But what's important is what you like. Digital/technical/gearheads get in the way sometimes.
Never said you were wrong I completely agree with you...I was trying to quote WillCAD
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:33 pm

I just wanted to interject because someone came in here asking for advice, and what you told them is wrong. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16024858-post179.html Still had your bursts, although they make the image look busy if you want me to get technical, this isn't a photography website, so it doesn't matter, you like them that's fine. You just rarely shoot at that high of an aperture...read the following link and maybe you'll understand. FYI next time if you ever decided to print your image out at a high resolution it will look like crap.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...0&changemode=1
Never said you were wrong I completely agree with you...I was trying to quote WillCAD
Yeah, you said I was wrong.

What part?

And, you didn't answer my question. What's wrong with the images I posted that using a wider aperture would have fixed?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:54 pm

I don't think people understand how quoting works...WillCAD the advice you gave was wrong, and I did answer your questions, and so did the person above my last post...
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.

Amsterdam 30 Sec, F/8.0, 9.5mm
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by DragonPhish
Amsterdam 30 Sec, F/8.0, 9.5mm
Absolutely gorgeous! ^
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:33 am

Mighty pretty, DragonPhish.

Amsterdam sure is a lovely town to photograph.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
Originally Posted by jackal
Absolutely gorgeous! ^
Mighty pretty, DragonPhish.

Amsterdam sure is a lovely town to photograph.
Thank you, Thank you.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:21 pm

brooklyn, ny

Old Mar 18, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA XPLT, 1K

Kyle Nicholson
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:28 pm

Chase Bank, Oklahoma City

Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Silver
oh man I LOVE this! did you take this yourself? mind sharing your settings?

Originally Posted by sbm12
One of my faves...

snip

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.