Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photography tips in 'dangerous' places?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Photography tips in 'dangerous' places?

So a number of cities have a reputation for requiring extra caution, Rio, Sao Paulo, Jo-burg, Nairobi, come to mind, rightly or wrongly.

I enjoying photography, and have a nice digital SLR. I also don't like being chained to a tour bus and enjoy walking around the places I normally visit. What are your tips for toting around this stuff in places where you could be a target of petty crime?

Also, i don't mean to bash the places I listed above by any means, in fact, I'd love to visit sometime.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
In the Casbah in Algiers, I hired a guide and he hired a policeman to accompany me.

Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:26 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by that_guy
So a number of cities have a reputation for requiring extra caution, Rio, Sao Paulo, Jo-burg, Nairobi, come to mind, rightly or wrongly.

I enjoying photography, and have a nice digital SLR. I also don't like being chained to a tour bus and enjoy walking around the places I normally visit. What are your tips for toting around this stuff in places where you could be a target of petty crime?

Also, i don't mean to bash the places I listed above by any means, in fact, I'd love to visit sometime.
If you're worried about your stuff getting nicked, then just leave it in the hotel safe, buy a serviceable small P&S (used Lumix off e-Bay?) and wander in. With enough pixels you can blow up any image to printable size. My first photography teacher (back in wet plate days ) told me "the cheapest telephoto lenses you can own come with shoe laces."

And of course you're talking about mega-cities that have safe as well as "unsafe" areas, so watch out for brushes that are too broad.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:28 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by that_guy
I enjoying photography, and have a nice digital SLR.
One option, which wouldn't let you have your SLR, but would reduce the risk of theft, would be to dress down a cheaper point and shoot so it doesn't look valuable. That way instead of saying, "I'm a tourist with $5k of camera gear in my bag", you say "I'm broke as a joke after getting here and didn't bring my good stuff with me."

See: http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/safet...easure--085028
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:34 am

I think the idea of "dressing down" the camera is exactly the way to go. Let's face it: if you can't afford your gear to be stolen, don't bring it. I mean it.

It's not worth risking your personal well-being for your camera. So prepare to surrender your stuff if you are robbed (you may want to travel with many chips and keep them on you in a hidden pocket so you at least don't lose all pics in the case of all cases....)

Even though I hate it myself I think deliberately soiling your gear (in a way that it doesn't hinder functionality) is the best bet.

Apart from that, pack it away, keep the stuff 'unprofessional' - not that fancy photo backpack but a worn out backpack with your old sweater wrapped around it. And be "invisible" as much as possible on the road, not only you get better pictures but also you be safer...
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Buy a cheap film camera. You can find a decent film SLR from the 70s/80s with nice prime lens for <$30 nowadays. Nobody wants to steal film cameras, much better quality pictures than a P+S
Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cj001f
Buy a cheap film camera. You can find a decent film SLR from the 70s/80s with nice prime lens for <$30 nowadays. Nobody wants to steal film cameras, much better quality pictures than a P+S
But would the thief know it was a film camera and not worth stealing?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
But would the thief know it was a film camera and not worth stealing?
you'd be amazed how many people can pick up on that.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by cj001f
you'd be amazed how many people can pick up on that.
I bought a PacSafe neck strap that does not advertise "Nikon D700" in large yellow letters that can be read from a block away. Also blacked out the white letters on the camera (don't forget the lens cap). A sophisticated thief will still recognize an expensive camera but it certainly cannot hurt to be less obvious.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:01 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
When in Guatemala, I hire an armed driver anyway, so he's my shadow while I take photographs.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Mr H
In the Casbah in Algiers, I hired a guide and he hired a policeman to accompany me.

Originally Posted by mkt
When in Guatemala, I hire an armed driver anyway, so he's my shadow while I take photographs.
how much did it cost to hire the security?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:24 am

I often travel by myself, and when I want to get my photo taken, I always look for a mom. Not only do I feel safer handling my camera, but I find that they usually have lots of experience snapping great shots.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
Originally Posted by Sebastian_R

Apart from that, pack it away, keep the stuff 'unprofessional' - not that fancy photo backpack but a worn out backpack with your old sweater wrapped around it. And be "invisible" as much as possible on the road, not only you get better pictures but also you be safer...
What i've done is thrown a brand new backpack into a wash/dry cycle after dragging it along the ground for a couple of feet to make it look slightly worn. Some people have good ideas regarding things like duct tape, markers, and spray paint but I don't think I could do that to a new backpack.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:00 pm

I recently had two, two-week trips to Rio de Janeiro for work in September and November of 2009. I was thoroughly warned through the company that the country was high in petty crime and the fact that we had 3 security briefings before I got to the hotel emphasized that.

Despite being in a "safer" part of the city I did witness two guys on a motorcycle pullover a VW sedan and rob the three people inside. I also met a coworker on the first trip that had got robbed by three 'kids' a block away from the hotel. Both incidents happened on the same night on Ipanema beach.

I did a couple things to lessen my chances of being a victim,
+ stayed in well lit areas, publlic areas
+ i went out with at least one other person (strength in numbers as suggested above)
+ a local gave me the advice that if you see someone suspiscios to be sure to make eye contact.
+ brought a thin, drawstring bag that i pulled over my camera to cover it up.
+ brought a cheap camoflagued-patterned, velcro decoy wallet
+ and most importantly i carried a monopod and held it like a bat most of the time.

Safe journey.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by gear down
how much did it cost to hire the security?
I think I paid about 30 euros for the guide for 3 hours and he reached his own arrangement with the police for an hour or so. The Algiers Casbah is not Mogadishu - the danger is from light-fingered kids and the occasional robber with a knife. The presence of a policeman with a gun is enough to make sure people ignore you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.