Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

are dogs allowed to walk around in airports?

are dogs allowed to walk around in airports?

Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:42 am

The reason they want dogs in carriers is that most airports are using explosive sniffing dogs and they don't want pets to interfere with the working dogs.

BOS is one of the strictest with that regard.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:34 am
Sie

Pet friendly

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
No, you need to get your facts straight!

Dog allergy can be fatal, and far more quickly than secondhand smoke. My son's cousin had an allergic reaction to a dog, and was dead before the paramedics got there. My son has the same severe allergy and avoiding dogs in public places can be extremely difficult. Keeping a dog in carrier in public places at least reduces the amount of dander and saliva being spread.
You'll be sad to know airports are striving to be more pet friendly. 55 volunteer PUP (Pets Unstressing Passengers) therapy-dog teams that roam terminal areas to provide affection and comfort to help alleviate stress that passengers may experience during travel. The LAX PUP Program is the largest therapy-dog program among all U.S. airports.
This and with airport sniffing dogs perhaps your son must consider staying away
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:50 am

I found this thread while searching for information about whether dogs are allowed into the arrivals area at IAH, Houston.

So I thought I'd chuck in my twopennorth.

Allergies do not discriminate between different types of dogs. For people sensitive to dogs to the degree that having dogs on leads walking around hard, impervious floors that are cleaned daily, an airport won't be a friendly place anyway. As others have said, there are assistance dogs and security-sniffer dogs there all the time. Not to mention dander from clothing of people who are surrounded by dogs all day.

There are plenty of justifications for why dogs shouldn't be allowed somewhere; I can't see how in airports, allergens are one of them.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Sie
You'll be sad to know airports are striving to be more pet friendly. 55 volunteer PUP (Pets Unstressing Passengers) therapy-dog teams that roam terminal areas to provide affection and comfort to help alleviate stress that passengers may experience during travel. The LAX PUP Program is the largest therapy-dog program among all U.S. airports.
The Justice Department and the LAX authorities are looking into the PUP program to see if it is even lawful.

Originally Posted by YourLocalGP
Allergies do not discriminate between different types of dogs. For people sensitive to dogs to the degree that having dogs on leads walking around hard, impervious floors that are cleaned daily, an airport won't be a friendly place anyway. As others have said, there are assistance dogs and security-sniffer dogs there all the time. Not to mention dander from clothing of people who are surrounded by dogs all day.
Can't remember the last time I saw a boarding area that didn't have carpet and upholstered furniture, and security dogs in airports, at least in the U.S. are still relatively rare. We usually only see them at customs or bag claim.

One very important thing to consider with allergies is the load factor: a service dog at the next gate is not going to generate sufficient allergens to cause a reaction in someone. Add another 10 pet dogs to the area, and then there's a major problem.

Originally Posted by YourLocalGP
There are plenty of justifications for why dogs shouldn't be allowed somewhere; I can't see how in airports, allergens are one of them.
Perhaps if you don't understand the problem it would be advisable to refrain from commenting on it, especially for your very first FT post.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MSP has stress relieving dogs too. I've visited with them twice in the last few months. They seem to be very well trained and mellow.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
I saw a leashed dog at DEN today with a passenger. We has very well behaved and ended up on my flight. I didn't mind but it was odd seeing a dog walking down the aisle of the plane.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:42 pm

The Justice Department and the LAX authorities are looking into the PUP program to see if it is even lawful.

Can't remember the last time I saw a boarding area that didn't have carpet and upholstered furniture, and security dogs in airports, at least in the U.S. are still relatively rare. We usually only see them at customs or bag claim.

One very important thing to consider with allergies is the load factor: a service dog at the next gate is not going to generate sufficient allergens to cause a reaction in someone. Add another 10 pet dogs to the area, and then there's a major problem.

Perhaps if you don't understand the problem it would be advisable to refrain from commenting on it, especially for your very first FT post.
Oh wow, why are you in this sub-forum in the first place?

And the most you post on FT the more you understand and can practice medicine? ^
Sayantan Das likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 2:36 am
Suspended

Not sure why you felt the need to revive this very old thread, but since you did, I'll point out that you're wrong. The carrier does make a difference. A dog in a carrier is not the furniture spreading fur, dander and saliva, which can trigger allergic reactions in my kid. I've seen it happen, you're just speculating.

And as you're not my son's doctor, please refrain from offering us unsolicited medical advice.
Better not let your son outside. The air might cause him issues
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:45 pm

Is that all you do ? Ask people to refrain from commenting on posts ?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my wife and i usually fly through iAd on UA. their lounges really suck, so we pack a light dinner, bring a bottle of champaign, and sit away from all the people for an hour or so waiting for the flight. about half the time, a bunch of uniformed guys bring a bunch of very official looking dogs to practice searching the area. they ask if we would mind staying, so the dogs can search around us. there are usually 3 to 5 dogs tearing through the section looking for contraband. i am certain these dogs are dander and allergin free, as they have never bothered me. they are german shepard looking dogs, and search for better part of an hour.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
i am certain these dogs are dander and allergin free, as they have never bothered me. they are german shepard looking dogs, and search for better part of an hour.
Do people do anyresearch before making statements like that?

Even the American Kennel Club, the ultimate pro-dog group in the US, acknowledges there is no such thing as an allergen free dog. From the AKC web page:

So, you want a dog but have always had an allergy attack whenever you’ve been around one — you’re not alone! According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, as much as 10% of the population in the U.S. is allergic to dogs. While no dog is 100% hypoallergenic...

So the experts on allergy and asthma say up to 10% of population may have an allergic reaction to dogs, even the pro-dog dog experts admit there is no such thing as a "hypoallergenic" dog and when I say it's not fair to people with allergies to have (non-working) dogs wandering around airports and climbing on the furniture I get attacked by first post trolls and people who've never looked at the science of the issue. Yeah, that's pretty much the way FT is going now...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks, please keep it civil and stick to facts and not conjecture.

Thanks, RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:16 pm
hln

Not allowed in most airport. It must be in their carrier
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:37 pm

Definitely depends on the airport and the people working there. These days dogs are visible walking in most airports. Those crazy liberal Europeans seem to have even more as they allow them in buses, subways, cafes, etc. If they are well behaved this seems reasonable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.