micro-chipping your animals

Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Good point - the USA and most of the world's countries use different standards for microchips - different frequencies as well, so often the chips used in the USA are not readable in other countries and vice versa. Something to think about...

Check the AVMA Microchip FAQ

and Wikipedia's article .

I hope we can ultimately pressure the manufacturers and local animal "control" groups to be sure to make universal reader wands available, to include the ISO 11784/11785 (134.2 kHz) frequency.

AVID and Home Again use 125 kHz frequency, and while that helps if you do not travel with your pet, it almost operates on the assumption (pretense) is we won't. The USDA is pushing for ISO standard, but it's the old Beta - VHS thing, nobody wants to back down.

Banfield "the Pet Hospital" at PetSmart uses "Crystal Tag" 134.2 kHz chips, so sometimes double chipping is in fact the answer - see acoldspoon's post above - particularly if you travel (though most developing nations' animal control outfits will likely not have readers of any kind.)

And the :take away: for a tag and contact info with chips was that we use our veterinarian's telephone number - they are there daily except Sunday, and can be trusted to respond if we are out of town and something happens. (Our newest rescue critters are Basenji and Basenji mix - fantastic escape artists!)

BTW, thanks for the sympathy for our Husky, Telfes and DaleG.

Originally Posted by acoldspoon
My German Shepherd Dog has two microchips. He has one that he got six years ago and isn't an ISO standard chip, and another ISO standard one he got when he was microchipped and tittered for easier access to Asia, the EU, the Caribbean, and the UK. Maybe as a result of the extra circuitry, he's set off metal detectors a couple times that were turned up a bit too high. No worries though, as he enjoys a good TSA pat down.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 2:57 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I rescued/adopted my dog and she came already chipped but I wouldn't hesitate to have it done if it weren't already done
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:22 am

My 5yo tabby cat Gin is microchipped, its ISO standard and has been done in the UK (where i currently live) because im moving to the USA next month had to make sure it was a chip that could be read in other countries. Also its a requirement for the Pet Passport scheme we here here.

He also has his Id tag with phone number on it, and a purple tag that has his micochip number on it and says in bold writing "Im microchipped"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.