Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Pet Airways: An Airline for Pets

Pet Airways: An Airline for Pets

Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
they should go bust just because of the lame puns they use

emBARK

maybe it will work, I am always amazed at what people will spend on their pets, so who knows, maybe they won't go "scratch my belly" up ^
Old Mar 28, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Previously posted in this very forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...line-pets.html

In that thread, bver100 said a friend had a line on the certification...
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
Has anyone noticed how close it is to April 1?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by boilermaker
Rats! You beat me to this reply!
Old Mar 29, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by boilermaker
FWIW, based on the thread linked above, this concept has been around since last year... long before April 1.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 3:26 pm

I don't see anything (other than the idea itself) indicating it's a hoax. They've got a contract of carriage up, and it's not just copied from some other site.

Convair 580s are still used for cargo. The livery in the photo on their site matches that used by IFL group on their Convair 580s.

My guess is that they're not actually operating their own planes; they're just chartering runs from existing cargo companies.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

Here is an update from MSNBC:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30249351
Old Apr 17, 2009, 1:52 am

I'm skeptical about it.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
What are the chances that they are mainly hauling cargo, but are making it look like it is exclusively for pets? I can't believe there is enough demand in these limited cities for them to operate. If it is secondary to a regular cargo operation, maybe...

Last edited by tev9999; Apr 25, 2009 at 6:39 am
Old May 8, 2009, 2:24 pm

That's what I'm thinking -- they're subletting space from an existing cargo operation. As I linked above, the plane shown in one of their photos is an IFL Group Convair.
Old May 13, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by pjpoker
I don't buy it...
Regardless of major news sources picking the story up, its gotta be a hoax... I declare shenanigans.
I think it's time to undeclare it.....

Sun May 10, 1:05 am ET

NEW YORK (AFP) Move over Jet Set -- here comes the Pet Set.

An airline catering exclusively to furry passengers takes to the skies this July with a promise to make air travel everything the domestic animal could want.

The first Pet Airways flight will depart July 14 from Teterboro, a small airport outside New York, en route to Washington, Chicago, Denver and Los Angeles, said founder Alysa Binder.

"Pet Airways was created to provide a safe and comfortable solution for the transport of pets," said Binder and her husband Dan Wiesel in a company statement.

"Inspiration for the concept came from difficulties encountered when shipping Zoe, our Jack Russell Terrier, across the country."

Flights, which will cost 149 dollars each way, will be on a modified Beechcraft 1900 supplied under contract with Suburban Air.

The plane usually fits 19 passengers. This time there will be room for 50 cats and dogs.

"There will be two pilots and a pet attendant. Everything is done for the safety and comfort of the pets," Binder said.

Pooches and kitties won't actually get seats. They'll travel in kennels stacked on custom-made shelves.

Like many flights in these security conscious days, a check-in two hours before take-off is requested. To avoid the queues -- and any potential pre-flight nerves -- check-in can be done 72 hours earlier.

"We?ll be happy to board your pet at our PAWS Lodge until the flight," the company's website advertises.

Then it's time to go to the Pet Lounge and onto the aircraft...[Click here for full story from Yahoo News]
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:56 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

More info here
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:52 am

$250 each way sounds very pricey to me. Definitely not for vacation travelers but I would certainly consider it if I were permanently transferring somewhere or maybe for snowbirds. However, I've transferred cross-country in the past and simply drove. My dog and I had a great time doing it, too. I just don't know that this venture will be successful although my bank account tells me I'm just not that good with money so who knows?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I live pretty close to Teterboro and our rescue group was very interested in touring the facility since we rescue greyhounds who are too big to fly in the cabins and we have lots of members who would love a safe option for traveling with or transporting their pets. I got a call back from them today and it looks like they will no longer be offering service from Teterboro; the nice gentleman stated it was because the airport was "uncooperative" ....Boo.
Owell - the closest to my area will be the location on Long Island.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1P
Anyone used Pet Air to fly their pets?

I searched for Pet Air but didn't find anything, so I apologize if this has already been discussed. Has anyone flown their pets using Pet Air? Any good or bad experiences to report? They seem a bit expensive but if it's a better experience for my dog then I'd consider it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.