Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Who to call to pick up pets that have passed away?

Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

We have an 18+ year old cat. She seems to be doing fairly well, but we know she probably doesn't have 'that much' time left. When we travel, we leave her at home and have a neighbor feed and check on her.

When we were out of town last week, I told DH that we need to decide what to tell the neighbor if the cat happens to pass away while we're gone. I had the idea that we could leave info for the neighbor to call and have the cat 'picked up'. We are pretty sure that most pet sitters would not want to take your deceased pet somewhere. I started searching online and can't find anything

The reason I got this idea was that my Sister has had two dogs put down in the last four years. They found a service that picks up the dogs and handles those details. My Sister lives in another county tho, so I don't know who she used.

So, has anyone done this? Thanks
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Your vet can probably recommend someone, since many people have their pets cremated.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
Your vet can probably recommend someone, since many people have their pets cremated.
I'd agree that your vet would be a good resource for this. You might also want to talk to a pet cemetery or some such. They might be able to assist in a situation like that.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:02 pm

The crematorium or cemetery you choose will have a call service which will pick up your cat. I had looked into it previously. At least some crematoriums or cemeteries also have pre-need services to take care of the financials in advance. This way your cat sitter will know who to call if the need arises. However, I hope you don't have to use this service for a long time.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed with jennj99738's post - check your phone book for pet cemeteries or pet services - or call your vet's office for referrals.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
call your vet's office for referrals.
Guess I will do that. I just thought that 'everything' could be found on the internet, so started there. Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
Guess I will do that. I just thought that 'everything' could be found on the internet, so started there. Thanks!
Oh, you can certainly find such information on the internet. I'm sure that most pet cemeteries have websites. You can search on Google for some in your area. However, I think of those proprietary websites as their version of the sign on the the motel here in Vegas which reads "Highly Recommended by Owner." I think we are just suggesting that with such an important issue, your vet may have more experience regarding which facility has a good reputation.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Recently, my mother's dog died in her arms. Her dog was the light of her life. The dog was quite old and had been receiving ongoing treatment from the vet. My mother called her vet who made arrangements to have her dog picked up. The next day my mother made the important decisions re: cremation, burial, etc. My point is that if one has a relationship with a vet who knows your dog and you, please count on your vet to make a good decision. In my mother's case, a veterinary assistant came to her home and, very lovingly, took the dog from her arms. My mother mourned. The next day she called the vet and expressed her wishes as to his remains. As a Post Script: My mother adopted another dog within 2 weeks. She adores the little guy. Bear in mind that my mother is 91. She needs a dog to love and cherish. It is the truly great co-dependent relationship.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Recently, my mother's dog died in her arms. Her dog was the light of her life. The dog was quite old and had been receiving ongoing treatment from the vet. My mother called her vet who made arrangements to have her dog picked up. The next day my mother made the important decisions re: cremation, burial, etc. My point is that if one has a relationship with a vet who knows your dog and you, please count on your vet to make a good decision. In my mother's case, a veterinary assistant came to her home and, very lovingly, took the dog from her arms. My mother mourned. The next day she called the vet and expressed her wishes as to his remains. As a Post Script: My mother adopted another dog within 2 weeks. She adores the little guy. Bear in mind that my mother is 91. She needs a dog to love and cherish. It is the truly great co-dependent relationship.
Glad to hear that your mother opened her heart to another dog.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
When my crazy cat died, I stuffed it into a grocery bag, cause I was on my way to work. I got the cat's body inside, but the tail, curled into a C shape wouldn't fit into the bag. I stuffed the bag into a closet. My cleaning lady had a fit when she found the dead cat in the bag in the closet (I had thought this was a closet she wouldn't open) Anyway, the cat was buried in the back yard.

Where I used to live the city service dept would pick up dead pets. I don't understand cremating animals or burying them in pet cemetaries. Of course, I grew up on a farm.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by broog
Get your shovel and go digging.
Umm, thanks. That's exactly what I will tell the pet sitter to do
Old Dec 31, 2008, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by broog
Get your shovel and go digging.
Yes, because digging where they are, out of town, will help the pet sitter with the animal.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:15 pm

I sure didn't grow up on a farm... but when I came home one day and found that the family cat (of 18+ years) had died (apparently) peacefully in a shady spot out front of the house..

I got the shovel out and went digging...

Seemed logical to me.... and when the cat belonging to the elderly lady next door died (a cat I had "sat" many times)... I performed the same service for her....

Very sad to lose the much loved family pet of course.. but I don't see the big deal about taking care of it after it dies... Part of the responsibility I'd say...

If one lives in a city apartment I can see the problem..... that's a tough one!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
I sure didn't grow up on a farm... but when I came home one day and found that the family cat (of 18+ years) had died (apparently) peacefully in a shady spot out front of the house..

I got the shovel out and went digging...

Seemed logical to me.... and when the cat belonging to the elderly lady next door died (a cat I had "sat" many times)... I performed the same service for her....

Very sad to lose the much loved family pet of course.. but I don't see the big deal about taking care of it after it dies... Part of the responsibility I'd say...

If one lives in a city apartment I can see the problem..... that's a tough one!
My issue with the initial shovel comment was that it seemed so harsh--no explanation, and it doesn't address the OP's situation. The OP is looking to give the pet sitter a number to call, if something happens to the cat while they're out of town, not ask the pet sitter to bury the cat.

My comment about it seeming harsh--losing a pet is tough, and I'd hope for some sympathy, especially in this forum, when dealing with the inevitable.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by kipper
My issue with the initial shovel comment was that it seemed so harsh--no explanation, and it doesn't address the OP's situation. The OP is looking to give the pet sitter a number to call, if something happens to the cat while they're out of town, not ask the pet sitter to bury the cat.

My comment about it seeming harsh--losing a pet is tough, and I'd hope for some sympathy, especially in this forum, when dealing with the inevitable.
^+1. That's also the reason for my post that the post discussed was without any explanation--just go dig. It also appeared that the poster hadn't read the question. There are so many kind pet people here so it seemed out of place.

I have no problem with Trooper's post. If I lived in a house, I would have considered burying my dog on my property also. It's all about context.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.