Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Who to call to pick up pets that have passed away?

Who to call to pick up pets that have passed away?

Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Our son's 16 year old Pug died tonight.
Winnie was a great girl; always dignified.
If you are in this situation in the Los Angeles area, I can recommend this service:
www.petmortuary.com/
They picked her up at the famly home and treated our son's young children with great sensitivity and showed Winnie great respect. They will also take care of her cremation. Fortunately, Winnie died of natural causes. She just rolled over and died very peacefully.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:59 pm

Obscure2k, I'm very sorry for your family's loss. 16 years old is a good long life (although never long enough) and knowing how much you love animals from reading your comments here, I know Winnie was well-loved.

I'm glad to hear your son and grandchildren were treated with sensitivity. Depending on how old your grandkids are, they may get some comfort from the Rainbow Bridge poem. I'm sure you're familiar with it but here's a link:
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:14 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks, jennj99738
I have read that poem before and always found it very touching. Thanks for reminding me about Rainbow Bridge. I have e-mailed a copy of the poem to my son and his family. I know the children will be quite moved by it. They have never not known Winnie to be in their lives as she was with my son and daughter in law before the children were born. As you can imagine, the sense of loss they feel is just overwhelming. Winnie, was truly a member of the family.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
We lost a couple of pets due to old age during teen years. We lived on a lake with woods all around us. Buried the pets w/ little markers and all in the woods next to our house, so we could visit them whenever we wanted. Parents took care of the actual digging/burial, so not sure if the pets were 'au natural'. We were there for the 'service'.

My sister just lost her cat (15 years old) & the oldest of 3 golden retrievers (14 years old) within 5 days of each other. She brought them to the vet & had them cremated, and now they're in nice urns in her home. The other 2 dogs miss them, but are adjusting (as is my sister, although it was very rough for her & Auntie Sharon at the time). Because my sister is a park ranger in the middle of nowhere, there was no 'pick-up' service, but like others have mentioned her vet had all the information & took care of everything once she got them to the vet an hour away.

I would think that most vets would have the info, but also think SPCA or shelters would as well.

On a dif note. Someone down the street was cat-sitting, and the cat died literally the day before the owners were due to come home. They had left no instructions & were overseas & unreachable, and the poor catsitter was besides herself on what to do & they had not left instructions. She ended up putting poor Fluffy (not its real name) in the freezer part of the fridge The catsitter I think was more traumatized than the owners. So, whether you think your pet is healthy or not, do your pet sitter a favor & leave instructions on what to do or the name/# of the vet.

Cheers.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:21 pm
Commander Catcop

Probably the best advise is if a pet "crosses the rainbow Bridge' is to take it to the vet. (to say "expired" sounds like you're dealing with a container of milk.

I have prepared myself should one of my Cat clients move on. It's my policy that all clients MUST leave:

*Vet info
*Cat owner contact info including hotel info (I will NOT call people on vacation unless it is an emergency.)
*LOCAL emergency contact info (name of neighbor/relative/friend who is familiar with the pet and what to do.)
*Option: a letter authorizing me (the Cat sitter) or someone to make decisions in the event the owner is not reachable.

A good pet sitter should ask the questions of "who's the vet>" What to do in emergencies?"
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Good on you! We always leave a letter of authorization (renewable annually) on file with our dogs' veterinarian (and when necessary left credit card authorization as well,) particularly as our travel may include remote locations, such as liveaboard dive vessels, with extremely limited to no emergency contact possibilities.

And with pet sitters, leave all the important information and instructions - just as we would with children.

Originally Posted by Catman
Probably the best advise is if a pet "crosses the rainbow Bridge' is to take it to the vet. (to say "expired" sounds like you're dealing with a container of milk.

I have prepared myself should one of my Cat clients move on. It's my policy that all clients MUST leave:

*Vet info
*Cat owner contact info including hotel info (I will NOT call people on vacation unless it is an emergency.)
*LOCAL emergency contact info (name of neighbor/relative/friend who is familiar with the pet and what to do.)
*Option: a letter authorizing me (the Cat sitter) or someone to make decisions in the event the owner is not reachable.

A good pet sitter should ask the questions of "who's the vet>" What to do in emergencies?"
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Probably the best advise is if a pet "crosses the rainbow Bridge' is to take it to the vet.
TRUE. But I started this dialogue because some people won't be comfortable handling your deceased pet So I have had to look into options. If the cat is ill, sure, they will have instructions on where to take her for care. If they come over to feed her and it's "too late", I needed options for them.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
We have an 18+ year old cat. She seems to be doing fairly well, but we know she probably doesn't have 'that much' time left. When we travel, we leave her at home and have a neighbor feed and check on her.

When we were out of town last week, I told DH that we need to decide what to tell the neighbor if the cat happens to pass away while we're gone. I had the idea that we could leave info for the neighbor to call and have the cat 'picked up'. We are pretty sure that most pet sitters would not want to take your deceased pet somewhere. I started searching online and can't find anything

The reason I got this idea was that my Sister has had two dogs put down in the last four years. They found a service that picks up the dogs and handles those details. My Sister lives in another county tho, so I don't know who she used.

So, has anyone done this? Thanks
I recently lost two cats within a month of each other (they were old). I called the vet and bought their remains to him and he made the arrangements. I had a choice of private cremation and to get their ashes back or a group cremation. Obviously a group cremation is less expensive but I opted for a private cremation for both of them. We are going to bury their ashes in the yard as soon as the ground is soft enough to dig.

We had one remaining cat and a dog. We ended up adopting another cat. We opted for an older cat this time and got a 2 yr old half siamese, half torti which we named Sorcha. Sorcha means little bright one in Gaelic.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:40 pm
Commander Catcop

Rereading this thread I was thinking if you travel a lot or are going to be out of the country or far away should the instructions include authorization on cremating the Pet?

I was at the vet with Eddie and a pet sitter brought in a Dog who died. The owners were overseas. The sitter brought in a note saying should the dog pass and they are not around to cremate the pet. The vet spoke with the parents who gave the authorization.

Going Off Topic..> Harley Cat CONGRATULATIONS on your adoption and MAJOR FOUR PAWS UP on adopting an ADULT Cat. If you knwo shelters adult Cats and dogs will have a harder time finding forever homes.

I also congratulate everyone who welcomed DOgs and Cats into their families.
Old May 7, 2009, 7:49 am

Rereading this thread I was thinking if you travel a lot or are going to be out of the country or far away should the instructions include authorization on cremating the Pet?

I was at the vet with Eddie and a pet sitter brought in a Dog who died. The owners were overseas. The sitter brought in a note saying should the dog pass and they are not around to cremate the pet. The vet spoke with the parents who gave the authorization.

Going Off Topic..> Harley Cat CONGRATULATIONS on your adoption and MAJOR FOUR PAWS UP on adopting an ADULT Cat. If you knwo shelters adult Cats and dogs will have a harder time finding forever homes.

I also congratulate everyone who welcomed DOgs and Cats into their families.
Thanks Catman! It was a little bit of a challenge because she was so skittish after spending so much time in the shelter. Now she's a big mush that loves to be petted!

We adopted an older dog when we got our dog. My husband wanted a particular breed, a Schipperke. I told him to go online and find a rescue organization because I refuse to buy an animal when there are so many homeless animals. Luckily there was a rescue group nearby and we adopted Liberty when she was almost 3. We were approved to adopt her on 9/11 and we wanted to name her something patriotic so we chose Lady Liberty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.