Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Pedi Paws

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
OT: Pedi Paws

Cobaka the Wonder Pup doesn't like getting her nails trimmed, although she likes the rest of her grooming appointment. I was considering Pedi Paws for her. Does anyone else have one? Does your pet stay still while you're using it? How loud is it? Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
I don't have it, but I have to say that I wouldn't buy it just out of principle... not only are the TV commercials horrible, but I'm getting spammed at least 10x per day with PediPaws emails. On that basis alone, I would refuse to buy the product.

That said, based on what I could see of the product in the commercials, it looks like a basic rotary tool, which means it will have a small, high-speed motor and therefore be relatively loud.

Then again, my dogs are OK with having their nails trimmed... they don't like it, but they're only 6 lbs, so they can't really fight much.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cepheid
I don't have it, but I have to say that I wouldn't buy it just out of principle... not only are the TV commercials horrible, but I'm getting spammed at least 10x per day with PediPaws emails. On that basis alone, I would refuse to buy the product.

That said, based on what I could see of the product in the commercials, it looks like a basic rotary tool, which means it will have a small, high-speed motor and therefore be relatively loud.

Then again, my dogs are OK with having their nails trimmed... they don't like it, but they're only 6 lbs, so they can't really fight much.
Fighting a 50 lb dog to get her nails trimmed can be a feat sometimes. She's improved since the first time, but it's still not fun for any of us.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Fighting a 50 lb dog to get her nails trimmed can be a feat sometimes. She's improved since the first time, but it's still not fun for any of us.
FWIW, I've found that having a second person around holding a treat (and occasionally feeding the treat to the dog) will help keep the dog distracted and calm. Your Dog May Vary.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
FWIW, I've found that having a second person around holding a treat (and occasionally feeding the treat to the dog) will help keep the dog distracted and calm. Your Dog May Vary.
Our 100+lbs Great Pyrenees get their nails trimmed by the groomers at doggie daycare.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

It doesn't work with ours--she wants nothing to do with treats when she's having her nails trimmed.
Originally Posted by aspex
Our 100+lbs Great Pyrenees get their nails trimmed by the groomers at doggie daycare.
We take ours to the groomers, primarily because they'll trim her nails. If I could save that cost though, I wouldn't complain.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:50 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
My wife bought one and the dogs dont like the grinding noise when trimming their nails so although it works as far as trimming the nails it is trading one problem for another.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Can you really blame any dog for not liking the grinding noise. After all, I don't like the sound of the drill at my dentist.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcgahat
My wife bought one and the dogs dont like the grinding noise when trimming their nails so although it works as far as trimming the nails it is trading one problem for another.
How loud is the grinding noise?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
This looks like a lame version of a dremel tool.

Our groomer dremels the Ernmeister's nails every two weeks. I pay him ten bucks cash and it saves me 45 minutes of wrestling Ernest to do the same thing at home.

Best ten dollars I spend IMHO.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by kipper
How loud is the grinding noise?
Hard to quantify really but pretty loud really. Not as loud as when I sharpen my lawn mower blade but the small rotary motor makes noise and then the noise of the sand paper like thing hitting the nails.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I just started dremel-ing my dog's nails recently. She tolerates it much better than the clippers since she has really thick strong nails. She's also a husky, and they tend to have sensitive feet. The noise isn't that bothersome- not much worse than a sonicare toothbrush, and certainly less annoying that all of that whining and howling that we get with the clippers...
Old Oct 1, 2008, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chococat
I just started dremel-ing my dog's nails recently. She tolerates it much better than the clippers since she has really thick strong nails. She's also a husky, and they tend to have sensitive feet. The noise isn't that bothersome- not much worse than a sonicare toothbrush, and certainly less annoying that all of that whining and howling that we get with the clippers...
That might explain Cobaka's issues with having her paws touched. She tends to not like it.

When she was at the groomer's last week, they tried to dremel her nails, but she apparently didn't like that either.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:22 pm
Commander Catcop

Well, I got one for my Eddie and after the bloody mess (not Eddie but he attacking me) it doesn't work for Cats.

Eddie hated the noise and simply went after me . He also wacked the machine and me being so upset dropped it on the floor.

I have heard from a few CAT clients who also said their Cats HATED teh noise.

Maybe the best advise... when you take your babies to the Vet ask if possible if they could trim the nails after the exam? The Vet tech (now Vet) who works with Eddie does it and Eddie doesn't seem to mind. The vet is the ONLY non family/friend of Catman person he doesn't attack.

Not bad for a 15 year old (in Cat years)!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Catman
Maybe the best advise... when you take your babies to the Vet ask if possible if they could trim the nails after the exam?
I have to trim my cats' nails every couple of weeks, so the vet wouldn't be the best idea...

That said, I don't really have a problem using the standard clippers. I got some specifically for cats, so they're small (they look like tiny scissors). I basically just cradle the cats on their backs and snip away... the cats hate it and they complain a lot, but there's not much they can do if I hold them reasonably tightly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.