Doggie Day Care

Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Doggie Day Care

Does anyone use Doggie Day Care for their dog? I've been thinking about taking Cobaka there occasionally, so she can have some playtime with other dogs. Her main dog friend is getting very up there in years, and has a tumor on her leg, so she's not nearly as up for playing as she used to be.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:49 pm

I use daycare quite often for Charlie, my Schnoodle. He's 2 1/2 years old and very high energy. I wish I could send him there everyday but it's just so expensive. He comes home absolutely exhausted. I can barely get him in the car before he falls asleep.

I have tried 2 facilities. The one I use most often is a privately owned facility only 5 minutes from my house. That facility requires a 4 hour "exam" to see if the dog will get along with other dogs before it will allow the dog to stay a full day. I can watch all the goings on by webcam. It's kind of addictive to watch. This facility will not restrict based upon breed but only on temperament. They also allow all dogs to stay together except 15 lbs and under.

Now, I did have one issue where another dog mistakenly thought my dog stepped on him while he was sleeping and snapped at Charlie. The workers were immediately able to separate Charlie and even though there was no way I could know this happened, they told me it happened right away when I went to pick him up. Dogs are not always predictable and things can happen but I was very happy about the way the place handled it.

I have also used Petsmart day camp. I actually think this is a good facility. They do restrict bully breeds, AFAIK. The only reason I don't take Charlie there is it is very far from home or my office. The hours are 9-5 but you can drop off before this or pick up after until the store closes but the dogs stay in individual kennels outside camp hours and for a nap break between 12-1 pm. Petsmart is significantly cheaper than the other day care and they segregate large and small dogs.

Both require up-to-date shot records and they do check when it's time for renewal. I would recommend leaving your dog for a half day first and see how he does. If he likes to play, I can nearly guarantee he will have a great time.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 5:55 am
Original Poster

She loves to play, and has had issues with the neighbor's dog, who doesn't like other dogs in general (so he's not a good playmate). She got loose a few weeks after we adopted her, and ran off. She saw him, ran up to him wanting to play, and he grabbed her by her hind legs. The neighbor was outside, so he quickly separated them.

I may try PetSmart in the near future to see how she does.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:51 am

I forgot to note that not all Petsmarts have day camp. Only the ones with PetsHotel do.

You can usually see the day care room when you go to the store. It's glassed in. There are others for other size dogs also.

I know what you mean about dogs who don't play well with others. I had a Yorkie who didn't get along with one single other dog. He was completely antisocial except with people. I would never have put him in a day care facility or even take him to the dog park.

I guess I would say is if your dog does well in a dog park, he'll certainly do ok in day care since there are adults supervising at day care.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 8:25 am
Original Poster

The closest PetSmart to where I work doesn't have one.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Be darn careful! My neighbor's dog died at a doggie day care. He got frightened and had a heart attack.

No way will one of my dogs ever go to a doggie day care!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
The closest PetSmart to where I work doesn't have one.
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't understand PetSmart at all. They just opened a store in a great location here in LAS in a booming area (and right on my way to work ) and they didn't include a PetsHotel. Seems like it would have been ideal.

If you google dog day care, I'm sure you can find a reputable day care in your area.

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Be darn careful! My neighbor's dog died at a doggie day care. He got frightened and had a heart attack.

No way will one of my dogs ever go to a doggie day care!
Although I'm very sorry it happened, I wouldn't let one anecdotal case of a dog having a heart attack stop someone from trying out day care. Also, I really don't understand how this is the day care facility's fault. It seems like the dog may have had some type of medical condition or wasn't socialized with other dogs before he was dropped off at day care? As I said previously, dogs are unpredictable and anything can happen but it seems like a very rare phenomenon. My dog would rather have a happy day at day care than be all alone for 9+ hours. As his "mother," I know what stresses him out. To each his own, however.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 4:33 am

Programs: Aadvantage, Marriott, Starwood, Southwest
My yellow lab LOVES doggie day care ... we have two facilities that we use regularly ... one near our house and one near my husband's daughter's home. At both places we were required to bring our dog in for a temperament check. Our dog goes crazy w/excitement when we turn into the street where the day care is located ... she can't wait to get out of the car and run inside. She just loves to play w/the other dogs ... and we get a nice calm dog at the end of the day. We also uses a third facility, when we're going away, that is a kennel and doggie day care ... a little pricier, because the facility is new, and w/lots of amenities for the pooches ... including webcam, etc. This facility is right off the interstate, so we use it when we're off on vacation. The most important thing is to drop in unannounced and ask for a tour ... and see if it smells, how the staff acts, etc. If you get a hinky feeling, don't take your dog there. I'm paranoid about where I'll leave my 80 lb. baby, so I check them out before she goes. I also check on how she reacts when we pick her up ... if she's affectionate w/the staff, I know she's had a good time!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 4:17 pm

We left our puppy at PetSmart for 10 days while we were on vacation.

I only wished they had webcams so we could have watched. She loves the dog park and we're told that she got along very well with the other dogs.

http://www.vimeo.com/1718203
Old Sep 15, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, Marriott, Starwood, Southwest
Cute video ... I always look forward to the pickup! Our dog (Fluke) also loves the dog park. We spent March in Naples, FL and found a great, fenced dog park ... few and far between in CT ... most are not fenced. She loved meeting and gretting new dogs and their owners. She fit right in with the regulars and after the second day she became the official greeter to the park. She actually lost 7 lbs. during the month we were there, due to all the great exercise she got.
I think some dogs do well w/other dogs and some do not. Also, make sure the parks/day care separate the bigs from the littles.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:48 pm
Commander Catcop

Kipper...

If you go the Doggie Day care route I would visit the facilities and shop around. In Hoboken there has been issues with the local doggie day care and rumors Dogs died there.

Maybe a DOggie Hotel might work. My concern is the Dog (or Cat) being confined to a cage and not having the room to play and frolock.

Another option to go really off topic is to consider a DOG walker/pet sitter. This person could be someone who can stop over an dwalk and play with the dog. I don't know about staying over... I have been offered a house/Cat sitting in Long Branch, NJ and feel a little concerned about it.

Like with Doggie Day care... interview several Dog sitters and see who works. This way your baby gets to stay at home in familar surrounding.

Good luck.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I tried several different doggie daycare facilities, each with cageless boarding as well, and the truth is that my dog was never happy. I would pop in and check on him and he would follow the staff around, very tired, but wouldn't play or engage other dogs. I finally found a place where he's clearly happy. He literally jumps out of my arms and runs inside when we get there. He goes crazy licking the staff. He's genuinely excited and doesn't mind a bit when we leave him for the day or when we go on a trip, and he's happy as can be when we return.

I've really discovered that not all daycare facilities are created equal, and several of the places he wasn't happy were among the best reviewed places around and very upscale.

Now, admittedly this one is a couple bucks a day more than I paid for any of the others but it's incredibly worth it.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My recommendation is to befriend a neighbor with a nice pet who is simpatico with your pet. This has been working so well for me. My neighbor has an adorable Pomeranian and loves our Pug and our Yorkie. When my neighbor was away for a month her little guy stayed with us. I am going away for about a week or so and our dogs will stay with the neighbor. Recently, my neighbor had surgery and on the night of her surgery the Pomeranian slept over. The dogs love the company of canine and human neighbors. Dogs love to be with other dogs; particularly, the ones with whom they are familiar. IMHO, this is the very best scenario. If my neighbor was unavailable I would send them to the groomer, who comes once a month to our home. They know her and love her and I trust her.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Catman
Kipper...

If you go the Doggie Day care route I would visit the facilities and shop around. In Hoboken there has been issues with the local doggie day care and rumors Dogs died there.

Maybe a DOggie Hotel might work. My concern is the Dog (or Cat) being confined to a cage and not having the room to play and frolock.

Another option to go really off topic is to consider a DOG walker/pet sitter. This person could be someone who can stop over an dwalk and play with the dog. I don't know about staying over... I have been offered a house/Cat sitting in Long Branch, NJ and feel a little concerned about it.

Like with Doggie Day care... interview several Dog sitters and see who works. This way your baby gets to stay at home in familar surrounding.

Good luck.
I called one doggie day care in the area, and they have a common area outside where they let the dogs out to do their business. They're left out not on leashes, and while it's fenced in, I just don't feel safe. I know that Cobaka, when excited to see me, will jump up and be face to face with me. I'm 5'9", so I'm concerned that if there's some possible way she'd be able to jump the fence, she might.

Back to trying other doggie day cares. Nothing is too good for her, so it's just finding the right one for her.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I called one doggie day care in the area, and they have a common area outside where they let the dogs out to do their business. They're left out not on leashes, and while it's fenced in, I just don't feel safe. I know that Cobaka, when excited to see me, will jump up and be face to face with me. I'm 5'9", so I'm concerned that if there's some possible way she'd be able to jump the fence, she might.

Back to trying other doggie day cares. Nothing is too good for her, so it's just finding the right one for her.
That's interesting. The 2 day care facilities I use are entirely indoors. One has a "potty room" with astroturf to attract the dogs. I had never heard of day cares with outside areas. I wouldn't want to risk it either.

Keep trying!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.