Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Frustrated in CA over CO Pet Policy

Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

So here's my story:

I have two very active, young kittens (Siamese-12 weeks old). I want transport them with me from my folks' place in So. Cal to my place in NY...I am travelling alone and have tickets with Continental and been going back and forth for the past few days with the airline. I keep reading online about how they are preferred over other airlines when it comes to pets but their policies and rep knowledge have been frustrating me. While their website does say one pet per passenger in-cabin, the kennel requirments page states that animals under 6 months may travel together...And it doesn't specify cabin or cargo.

So some reps were telling me I could take the two kittens on board together in the same kennel and others were telling me absolutely not (unless I have another passenger travelling with me). It's even more frustrating because the total travel time is around 8 hours (with a one hour stop-over in Houston) and they recommmend not feeding the kittens up to four hours before and no food is allowed in the kennel (we're talking cargo rules).

Some airlines (JetBlue) will make exceptions if there are no other pets on board (since there is a max of 4 pets total allowed in cabin) for an extra fee or buying another seat...Continental would not let me :-(

I will say to their credit that one lady in their PetSafe (cargo transport) hotline said I can put some kind of nutrient paste in the water bowl...but this is totally sad considering they're just tiny kittens. I think cats are less amenable to tranport than dogs as well. So far I'm even considering buying a one way ticket with American or some other carrier that will let two kittens on board together in the same kennel but prices are insane!

Now all of this in addition to the recent pet price hikes...

Last edited by ramona525; Aug 13, 2008 at 11:05 am
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Exactly what airport are you flying from in CA and do you have to arrive in EWR? I am assuming that destination as you are mentioning CO.
What type of fares are you looking at?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Exactly what airport are you flying from in CA and do you have to arrive in EWR? I am assuming that destination as you are mentioning CO.
What type of fares are you looking at?
I'm doing SAN to LGA with a one hour layover in Houston. That's the other thing, a one hour layover in which they have to shuffle the kittens to the next plane in cargo and get them re-settled. Doesn't makes sense for them not to let me take them on board.

To have the them in cargo will come out to $210 or so, and in-cabin I believe it's $125 per container.

Buying a one-way ticket with American is not looking so hot right now as that's averaging around $599.

What's completely odd is that American's page states the exact same kennel specifications for IN-CABIN pets (2 pets under 6 months or under 20 lbs in one kennel can go in-cabin)...Continental states this but DOES NOT say whether they mean in-cabin or in cargo but most 800 reps claim it refers to CARGO...Keep in mind I'm looking at where it says "Kennel Requirments" in the "Travelling With Animals" link.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are your dates of travel and is JFK or EWR out of the question? Also as you have priced out AA, can I assume that you are open to any carrier?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:07 pm

Might I suggest a trip to the SAN airport and speak with the supervisor on duty at the CO ticket counter. You can get the rules in person, and if they agree to transport your pets in one carrier on board, have them document your PNR (reservation record) and you will not run into any problems when you check in. You can also pay for the pet fee at that time.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfogate
Might I suggest a trip to the SAN airport and speak with the supervisor on duty at the CO ticket counter. You can get the rules in person, and if they agree to transport your pets in one carrier on board, have them document your PNR (reservation record) and you will not run into any problems when you check in. You can also pay for the pet fee at that time.
That was going to be my game plan. I was going to print out the online blurb and show it to them. The thing is, 4 out 5 reps over the phone interpreted those rules as cargo rules and not in-cabin. I just find it entirely odd that American uses those same guidelines and states it's for in-cabin.

I'd hate to have them say "no" knowing that they also require a vet certificate which will add up to a costly visit. I'd almost rather leave the kittens in San Diego with family then to subject them to 12 hours w/o food while travelling in cargo with a stop-over. I mean that's flat out animal abuse.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

What are your dates of travel and is JFK or EWR out of the question? Also as you have priced out AA, can I assume that you are open to any carrier?
I'm open to JFK and EWR but JFK tends to always be more expensive than LGA for domestic flights. I need to be in NY by Sunday early evening at the latest. I even looked at roundtrip options or flying out of John Wayne but it's just not pretty.

I am open to other carriers as well, but based on the thread with individual carrier rules, looks like American, Alaskan, Frontier, and Northwest (?) were the only ones letting two pets under 6 months and 20lbs in-cabin in one kennel. Actually, I visited the Frontier website and it looks like NO pets are allowed in-cabin anymore...
Old Aug 13, 2008, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just spoke to two agents at UA and although they don't have it on their website they said that they will allow 2 kittens over 8 weeks old in one carryon bag. The soft sided bag must be 17x10x10. The kittens must have a health certificate from your vet. The only route that is workable for a low fare this Sunday 8/17 according to the first agent I spoke to is UA787 SAN-SFO that departs at 7:53 AM & lands at 9:25 AM and then connects to UA892 that leaves SFO at 10:12 AM and lands in JFK at 7:06 PM. The online fare is $350 if you act fast plus $125 for the carryon (in cabin) pet fee. There is a $25 phone agent fee that is additional if you don't book the flights online so what you should do to avoid that fee is locate the flights online and get to the last step before you purchase them and have a phone agent say the pets are ok for those particular flights, book them online and ask that agent to add the carryon pets to your record locator. You pay the pet fee at the airport.

I would also ask if they will reconfirm to you that 2 kittens are ok in one bag by email before you book the ticket as both agents said you won't find this on their website but is ok.

Call United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) to confirm all of the above and reserve the carryon pet availability for those flights.

Good luck!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
I just spoke to two agents at UA and although they don't have it on their website they said that they will allow 2 kittens over 8 weeks old in one carryon bag.
The website portion does have a "2 kittens or 2 puppies in one kennel" clause, but it's on the "Kennels" page which seems to be referring only to cargo kennels... nevertheless, it would be only logical that 2 kittens could go in a carryon as well. Glad you got confirmation.

OP, if you are traveling on UA, see my thread in the UA forum for more detailed info and tips. It's linked in the sticky FAQ.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ramona525
That was going to be my game plan. I was going to print out the online blurb and show it to them. The thing is, 4 out 5 reps over the phone interpreted those rules as cargo rules and not in-cabin. I just find it entirely odd that American uses those same guidelines and states it's for in-cabin.

I'd hate to have them say "no" knowing that they also require a vet certificate which will add up to a costly visit. I'd almost rather leave the kittens in San Diego with family then to subject them to 12 hours w/o food while travelling in cargo with a stop-over. I mean that's flat out animal abuse.
You mean you haven't taken the kittens to a vet? Vets generally give you a free cert if you've been taking care of your pets and bringing them in. They don't have to see your kittens if they are already up to date on their visits/shots.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aspex
You mean you haven't taken the kittens to a vet? Vets generally give you a free cert if you've been taking care of your pets and bringing them in. They don't have to see your kittens if they are already up to date on their visits/shots.
I JUST got them last week and they're up-to-date with their vaccinations and records so there was no reason to take them in between last week and today, but good to know that it should be free in the future. Thx
Old Aug 13, 2008, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

I just spoke to two agents at UA and although they don't have it on their website they said that they will allow 2 kittens over 8 weeks old in one carryon bag. The soft sided bag must be 17x10x10. The kittens must have a health certificate from your vet. The only route that is workable for a low fare this Sunday 8/17 according to the first agent I spoke to is UA787 SAN-SFO that departs at 7:53 AM & lands at 9:25 AM and then connects to UA892 that leaves SFO at 10:12 AM and lands in JFK at 7:06 PM. The online fare is $350 if you act fast plus $125 for the carryon (in cabin) pet fee. There is a $25 phone agent fee that is additional if you don't book the flights online so what you should do to avoid that fee is locate the flights online and get to the last step before you purchase them and have a phone agent say the pets are ok for those particular flights, book them online and ask that agent to add the carryon pets to your record locator. You pay the pet fee at the airport.

I would also ask if they will reconfirm to you that 2 kittens are ok in one bag by email before you book the ticket as both agents said you won't find this on their website but is ok.

Call United Reservations at 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) to confirm all of the above and reserve the carryon pet availability for those flights.

Good luck!
Thank you! This is all kind of ironic in that almost every website of every breeder or pet owner mentions Continental as their first choice but I guess that's strictly cargo. I will say to their credit that their cargo is fully climate controlled and they have a separate 800 number for pets and pet transport to the plane, handling etc but for a cross country trip this just wouldn't work.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember that only their phone agents can confirm availability for the carryon (in cabin) pets you are taking. They must add the approval to your locator or you could be refused at the airport if they have too many carryon pets on those flights.

The agent that recommended the SAN-SFO-JFK itinerary said that that priced out the best for available flights on that date that still had space for carryon pets going to the NYC metro area. You may also wish to inquire when you call about a SAN-LAX-JFK or SAN-ORD-LGA route as fares & carryon pet availability can change at any time.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by ramona525
good to know that it should be free in the future.
I'm not quite sure what vet the previous poster frequents, but the "free" certificate is most certainly not free at my vet. It all depends on the type of cert. If all you need is proof of vaccinations, that should be fine... but most airlines require a Health Certificate, which is more inclusive than just vaccinations. The vet needs to give them a check-up before signing the certificate, which usually necessitates an office visit. Most of the vets around here also charge for the certificate itself (don't ask me why, given that I doubt they incur any additional liability as a result). If your vet has very recently seen the animal (like, within the last 30 days), they may just write you a certificate... but otherwise, I think you should expect that a visit (and associated charge) will be required.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cepheid
If all you need is proof of vaccinations, that should be fine... but most airlines require a Health Certificate, which is more inclusive than just vaccinations. The vet needs to give them a check-up before signing the certificate, which usually necessitates an office visit. Most of the vets around here also charge for the certificate itself (don't ask me why, given that I doubt they incur any additional liability as a result). If your vet has very recently seen the animal (like, within the last 30 days), they may just write you a certificate... but otherwise, I think you should expect that a visit (and associated charge) will be required.

For domestic flights I have always been able to make do with just a simple letter from my vet saying that all of my dog's vaccinations are up to date. There is no charge for this type pf travel letter. However if for some reason you require a "Health Certificate" most likely for international destinations, the 30 day rule usually prevails at most vets and that requires a visit with an examine that you have to pay for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.