Pet Friendly Hotels

Old May 7, 2008, 11:00 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Pet Friendly Hotels

I think this is an important topic not only if you take your angels on vacation with you but also if you are relocating (ex: Mileage Addict having to travel CROSS COUNTRY with his Cat a few years ago) or if you have to relocate because of work done in your home (I had a nightmare finding a hotel that would accept Eddie and Onyx and Chairman MEOW.)

This website I found lists the major chains that accept Pets:

http://www.petswelcome.com/milkbone/hotchains.html

Also, don't many of the Starwood hotels accept pets? Starwood Lurker can you chime in (I know the Sheraton Newark Airport is listed as Pet friendly.)

Of course please CHECK with the hotel before going to make sure they do accept Pets. Not all locations do. I foudn that out from Candlewood suites which does not allow pets because some dog wrecked a room.

ALso check any fees that are required. Most places charge a non refundable Pet fee.

The only thing you Pets CAN"T do is earn you points.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The funny thing about that list is that descriptions are wrong on some of them (i.e the Courtyard has a wording about Crowne Plaza) and that's not even 100% correct. Most of those brands actually only allow service animals, not actual pets.

I know that Residence Inns & TownePlace Suites allow pets with a $100 fee - I've taken my dog. I'd recommend checking with the individual hotel as well, before relying on that list - as most hotels actually, in my experience, don't allow pets or have crazy cleaning fees...
Old May 7, 2008, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
The funny thing about that list is that descriptions are wrong on some of them (i.e the Courtyard has a wording about Crowne Plaza) and that's not even 100% correct. Most of those brands actually only allow service animals, not actual pets.

I know that Residence Inns & TownePlace Suites allow pets with a $100 fee - I've taken my dog. I'd recommend checking with the individual hotel as well, before relying on that list - as most hotels actually, in my experience, don't allow pets or have crazy cleaning fees...
That is great advice and I always call the local number for the hotel to reconfirm their pet policy before booking it online. Also it pays to write down the name and the position of the person that you have spoken to at that location.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

www.bringfido.com also works great. It's pretty accurate, have not encountered any mistakes yet.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I have seen pets in Marriott Burbank hotel and Doubletree hotel in San Diego. And they are obviously pets not service animals. So some of those chains allow pets....

Last edited by RSSrsvp; May 8, 2008 at 9:29 pm Reason: Removed commercial signature
Old May 8, 2008, 6:31 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
When we moved to the Boston area, we lived in the Foxboro Residence Inn for 8 months. They were very pet friendly.... cost us $50 total non refundable fee to have our two cats in our 1 bedroom hotel room.

They were very pet friendly. They had a special sign on our door to "warn" any staff.... and the housekeepers were known for spending 10 minutes each day playing with the babies. In fact, when we went away, the hotel staff gave them more attention... and, GET THIS, even changed the litter box!

We felt very special with them... and causes us to give Residence Inn our business whenever possible... even though we do not travel with our pets.

William
Old May 8, 2008, 7:15 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Wharvey... that's a great story. And the staff even CHANGED the LITTER BOX (there are pet sitting companies in my area who don't do that. I do that and more!)

When I worked at Extended Stay which accepts Pets they charged $100 non refundable Pet fee. It fell onto me to post big "flags" (notes in guests file) and let the housekeeping know of Cats and Dogs in teh rooms. There was one incident of a Cat getting out and I had to find it.
Old May 8, 2008, 8:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
A very timely thread. I'm moving out of my residence in a few days and did some serious "shopping" around for pet-friendly + points maximizing long stay hotels. (After all, this is Flyertalk. )

Marriott's Residence Inn and TownePlace properties are pet-friendly across the brand, while other Marriott properties have ad hoc policies. Pet fees vary wildly. Some properties charge so much per night ($10-25), some charge per stay ($75-100). Some properties are not only pet-friendly, they offer pet promos!

Extended Stay America's Pet Policy is more explicit: 1 pet allowed per room; fee is $25 per night, not to exceed $75 for any length of stay.

As much as I'd love the points for a 21- to 30-day RI stay, I chose Extended Stay America due to price considerations, as all else was equal, eg Free WiFi, full kitchen, laundry facilities, location.

I'll definitely file a "trip report" in the near future.

Last edited by essxjay; May 8, 2008 at 9:05 pm
Old May 8, 2008, 8:55 pm

Kimpton

Kimpton Hotels even offer (IIRC) dog biscuits.
Old May 9, 2008, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I just booked a stay at a Comfort in located in Granbury TX. The pet policy seemed fine until I talked with the hotel. The pets have to be kept in crates and you and the pets will be asked to leave immediately if there is a barking complaint after 9 pm.

They also charge $25 per pet per day. With all this in mind I decided not to take the dogs on this trip. It just isn't worth it.
Old May 9, 2008, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I just booked a stay at a Comfort in located in Granbury TX. The pet policy seemed fine until I talked with the hotel. The pets have to be kept in crates and you and the pets will be asked to leave immediately if there is a barking complaint after 9 pm.

They also charge $25 per pet per day. With all this in mind I decided not to take the dogs on this trip. It just isn't worth it.
This is the most ridiculous policy that I have ever heard of. All dogs bark from time to time. What were these geniuses thinking of when they decided to allow dogs?
Old May 9, 2008, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
This is the most ridiculous policy that I have ever heard of. All dogs bark from time to time. What were these geniuses thinking of when they decided to allow dogs?
Very good point!

When you add the daily pet charges and the risk of finishing a night's sleep in one's own car.....what can I say?

This is about the same cost as boarding the dogs. In any case, I voted with my feet and sent someone else to attend the event.
Old May 9, 2008, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Very good point!

When you add the daily pet charges and the risk of finishing a night's sleep in one's own car.....what can I say?

This is about the same cost as boarding the dogs. In any case, I voted with my feet and sent someone else to attend the event.
They probably have a policy about young children crying after 9 PM also.
Old May 9, 2008, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
They probably have a policy about young children crying after 9 PM also.
Yup. There is still a looong ways to go on the tolerance curve w/r/t to pets as companions.

That said, I can see an interesting conflict arising from those who require allergen-free accommodations and those whose companion animals are classified for therapeutic purposes. The issue comes up in landlord-tenant situations already. (I discovered this quite by accident when I was grandfathered into a building because the rules were written so poorly. Rather than force an ugly show down, the housing agent suggested *wink, wink* that I get a letter from my doctor stating my need to keep a "therapy cat." P.O.ed at first, it did dawn on me that I would indeed be very depressed and anxiety-ridden if I did have to get rid my cat. )
Old May 11, 2008, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a number of places in LAS that are pet friendly.

Residence Inn By Marriott Las Vegas Hughes Center
Candlewood Suites Las Vegas
Howard Johnson Las Vegas
The Westin Casuarina
La Quinta Inn Las Vegas Airport
La Quinta Inn & Stes Summerlin
La Quinta Inn Nellis AFB
Travelodge Las Vegas Downtown E
Best Western Parkview Inn

This is a partial list and I am sure that there are others.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jun 11, 2008 at 7:06 am Reason: Moved from the Luxury Pet Hotels thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.