Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Sherpa & other brand carryon bags

Old May 6, 2008, 7:05 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

Don't know what it is about being a pet owner, but when it comes to my baby somehow I don't mind plunking down full-on retail for her comfort and safety. Today's purchase was the Sherpa Original Deluxe Bag, size Medium (18" L x 10.5" H x 11" W). It really is a lovely piece of work -- worth every penny -- but gosh it looks too big to fit under any UA, AS, NW/DL or LH seat I've been on recently.

The product copy on all models say, "Fits comfortably under cabin seat." I'm skeptical. Thots?

Also, once on board, it's okay to give them a little dish of water, right?

Last edited by essxjay; May 8, 2008 at 8:53 pm
Old May 6, 2008, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Basically the premise behind these soft bags is that you can push down on them to make them fit under the seat in front of you. The medium Sherpa bag's measurements conform with what most carriers publish for size.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:02 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

What is the maximum weight of an animal in a Sherpa Bag? Or is it completely based on what fits under the seat?
Old May 7, 2008, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
What is the maximum weight of an animal in a Sherpa Bag? Or is it completely based on what fits under the seat?
That's the catch as every airline is different. The last time I flew on NW they had a 15 pound rule (including the bag) and I know for sure that DL doesn't. In addition, NW allows two small pets in the bag again as long as it isn't over that 15 pound limit and DL only allows one.

Therefore we should start a master thread in this forum listing every carrier's carryon pet rules.The members can help to keep it updated if there are any changes.
Old May 7, 2008, 9:02 am

Indeed, the whole point of the Sherpa's is that you can smoosh them down. You would think this would annoy the pet, but it didn't seem to bother my cats at all. In fact, when I first put a cat in one and slung the strap over my shoulder, I noticed that the bag sort of curved around my hip. It looks like the cat is totally squashed. It didn't bother them at all, and actually seems to kind of soothe them. Maybe because they can smell that I'm so close by.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:47 am
Commander Catcop

The few times I flew with Yaz (and Eddie with companion) I used Sherba Bags. Yaz fit nicely in teh small one while big Eddie took the larger sized bag.

(this was before I knew of something called Pet Sitters. Funny, that's what I'm donig now! )

Sherba's fit comfortabily under the seat in front of you. The Cat (or most pets) will simply lie down or stretch out (Eddie slept through all flights. Yaz cried.)

They are pricey (maybe ebay has a deal or check your local pet stores for a used but in good condition model.) But it's a very good investment. It's much more comfortable taking Eddie (since Yaz left this earth in Feb, 2006) to the vet and other places instead of a bulky, heavier carrier.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:49 am
Commander Catcop

Going OMNI to support rssvp's idea... maybe a master thread on the airlines carry on rules would be a good idea.

And I mean international and U.S. based airlines. What are BA's rules? or Lufthansa?
Old May 7, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
My dog Chica has travelled to Mexico in her Sherpa bag (the black carry-on/backpack type) since she was 4 months old and she is now 4 years old and 12 pounds and still fits. It looks so much like a regular carry-on that I have never had anyone clue in as to what was in the bag. My seatmates have never guessed or realized until we land in Mexico and she gets as excited as I do! Sherpa's website has sizes and weights appropriate for your dog. The airlines websites also give measurements..but bear in mind if its an inch or so to big, they do flatten down well.
Old May 7, 2008, 3:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

The Sherpa bag is very good quality, but the medium size is pretty small.. There's no problem fitting it under a seat.

Our Alice grew out of it at 6 months (female Pug) so we have to carry her with her head/body sticking out.. She's 10 months now and 18lbs, UA still allows her on board...

I was thinking about getting the large size. Does anyone think that we will be denied with the larger size?
Old May 8, 2008, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by essxjay
Don't know what it is about being a pet owner, but when it comes to my baby I somehow don't mind plunking down full-on retail for her comfort and safety. Today's purchase was the Sherpa Original Deluxe Bag, size Medium (18" L x 10.5" H x 11" W). It really is a lovely piece of work -- worth every penny -- but gosh it looks too big to fit under any UA, AS, NW/DL or LH seat I've been on recently.

The product copy on all models say, "Fits comfortably under cabin seat." I'm skeptical. Thots?

Also, once on board, it's okay to give them a little dish of water, right?
I suggest that people also look at the Ultimate Sherpa bag.
http://sherpapet.com/products/detail...ddetail_post=Y
It has roll-up flaps the shield your pet from the sun and elements. In addition it has a pullout tray which makes removing the lambskin liner easier and can also be used as a travel bed.
Old May 8, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Your pet can go without water on the plane. I usually take a paper cup and fill it in the washroom in the airport and give it to her before we board. As we need to change planes and terminals, it avoids the "water" issue at security.

If you have a fairly small dog, I recommend the backpack type which you can also carry. It is not an obvious pet carrier, so you avoid the dirty looks from people who disapprove of pets on planes, like the ones I got when I used the Original Sherpa bag.

Its also best to check out the airlines size requirement for under the seat before you buy a bag. I think mine is about 1" too high, but as it is soft, it works o.k.
Old May 8, 2008, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I suggest that people also look at the Ultimate Sherpa bag.
http://sherpapet.com/products/detail...ddetail_post=Y
It has roll-up flaps the shield your pet from the sun and elements. In addition it has a pullout tray which makes removing the lambskin liner easier and can also be used as a travel bed.
I think this one is the ticket. Ordering the large one today: http://sherpapet.com/products/detail...ddetail_post=Y

Will report back what UA has to say about it when we go to IAH next weekend
Old May 8, 2008, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bajacondo
Your pet can go without water on the plane. I usually take a paper cup and fill it in the washroom in the airport and give it to her before we board. As we need to change planes and terminals, it avoids the "water" issue at security.

If you have a fairly small dog, I recommend the backpack type which you can also carry. It is not an obvious pet carrier, so you avoid the dirty looks from people who disapprove of pets on planes, like the ones I got when I used the Original Sherpa bag.

Its also best to check out the airlines size requirement for under the seat before you buy a bag. I think mine is about 1" too high, but as it is soft, it works o.k.
I do it differently when it comes to water. I give my dog a small amount in the midde of the flight to keep her hydrated. If you give your pet water before the flight and there is a ground delay once you board the plane, you could have a potential problem on your hands. @:-)

As for the bag, I couldn't give a hoot if someone gives me a dirty look. I want my dog to be in the most comfortable carryon bag possible.
Old May 8, 2008, 1:55 pm

As for the bag, I couldn't give a hoot if someone gives me a dirty look. I want my dog to be in the most comfortable carryon bag possible.
Couldn't agree more, but the only ones who give our adorable Pug dirty looks are the UA gate agents... Do I care?? no way!
Old May 8, 2008, 8:54 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
That's the catch as every airline is different.
You're not whistlin' Dixie!!

And UA's cabin policy is a/c specific to boot. cepheid has done an outstanding (four paws up?) job of summarizing it:.

Last edited by essxjay; May 8, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.