Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Sherpa & other brand carryon bags

Sherpa & other brand carryon bags

Old May 12, 2008, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
BTW, if you are looking for a bag that adds a fashion statement there is also Celltei. I have their Backpack-o-Pet bag and most times use that instead of my Sherpa bag when traveling.

For carryon use, most Celltei carriers are designed specifically for airline in-cabin travel. Except for the open top designs such as their Mandarin or Lunar designs, up to the medium size, all Celltei carriers meet the airline requirements. The large size meets the requirements of about 70% of the airlines.

http://www.celltei.com
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Soft sided carrier experiences

Hi
I've searched and haven't seen anyone talk about good carriers to use.
I have searched the web and there are mixed reviews on the different carriers so I thought I would ask where people have a lot of experience.
I am traveling with a Bombay who is long but thin.
The carrier can be no longer than 18 inches no higher or wider than 11 inches.
I've seen Sherpa, Bergan, SleepyPod and Teafco. Only online. None in any of the shops near me.
What have been your experience with the carriers.
Unfortunately we can only do this trip by air. I wish there was some other way.

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jul 20, 2013 at 12:10 pm Reason: Merged into existing thread
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: US, HH
I've used Sherpa carriers a number of times and would do so again if the need arise. I like the bag itself but I also like that I can carry it over my shoulder which frees up hands for other things. Had no trouble fitting it under a seat and the last cat that I traveled with weighed around 16lb.

If I remember it comes in 3 sizes, mine was the medium size.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:11 am

Thanks this is exactly the info I'm looking for.
The Sherpa medium is 17 long 11 wide and 10.5 high. AND it fit a 16 pound cat.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: US, HH
To add a bit, I thought Sherpa was sturdy in comparison to other soft sided carriers and the zippers were strong, but it's been a while and I don't know what else is out there these days.

In favor of all soft sided carriers - easier to manipulate if it's not a perfect fit under the seat for whatever reason.

Main problem for me with any softsided carrier - not always that easy to get the zipper closed if you have a cat intent on not being confined!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
I bought a couple of no-name soft-sided carriers at Wal-Mart about 10 years ago. I don't know if they still have them, but they worked wonderfully and were super-cheap. Granted, they did start to fall apart somewhat... which I expected. But, they fit easily under the seat and our small dogs were happy in them. The good thing about the soft-sided carriers is that they can "squish" a bit which makes it easier to get them under the seat.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:51 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I have two different, but similar, models of Sherpa carriers and they both are very good. They are easy to clean and get your pet in and out of. They are lightweight but sturdy. I especially like the fact that one end has a partial zipper opening that you can fold down so your pet can stick it's head out (doesn't work so well for cats because once a cat gets its head out it can wriggle out completely) or you can put your hand in to pet your pet.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:51 pm

Thanks everyone.
Though I'm kind of surprised there are so few responses
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by Plato1
Hi
I've seen Sherpa, Bergan, SleepyPod and Teafco. Only online. None in any of the shops near me.
Specifically on this point, I was able to check out a few of the Sherpa bags at a local Petco, though I did end up ordering off Amazon for pricing.

My latest purchase was a Sherpa Original Deluxe Pet Carrier, Large. Trip was bringing back an 8 week lab puppy DFW-LAX on AA. While AA has a maximum in-cabin size of 19" long x 13" wide x 9" high, they state that "soft-sided pet carriers such as Sherpa bags may exceed these dimensions slightly because they are collapsible." I wanted to make sure our puppy had as much room as possible. We had no issues checking in or on the flight with the large size bag.

We had a 10+ year old Sherpa bag previously and it did great for 2 cross-country lab puppy trips and then being our cats' regular vet bag. So was inclined to stay with Sherpa vs. the others. But after regular cat use our old bag smelled too much, so wanted to check into whether the new Sherpa design was more washable than the past ones? Have only tried it once, but so far so good with the new bag.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
I see this is an old thread, but I'll chime in. I have a Large Sherpa on Wheels, 19x11x11, and I've flown my 24 lb corgi many times on mainline UA flights..... 752, 753, 320, without any problems. On smaller aircraft we use a Large Sturdibag. It flexes down a lot better than the Sherpa, which is showing signs of wear now...the zipper is hard to close because of all the bending of the frame due to "squishing". My dog can still easily stand and turn around in the Large Sturdi (18x12x12), he is a competition agility dog and very flexible and athletic. A few times a TA or GA has raised an eyebrow, but has always backed down when they see him turn in the bag.

What I really wish existed was an intermediate Sturdi size...The XL is way too big, but I'd like something an inch or so longer and wider than the Large. Or, that the Sherpa's frame around the square ends was as flexible at the Sturdi. That would be beautiful!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Best in-cabin pet carrier for small dog?

Looking for recommendations for an approved pet carrier for a 20 lb dog (doxie/Manchester terroir mix) that we will be flying in-cabin with us this month. Seems to be hundreds of types out there... Looking for something reasonably priced that's comfortable for our dog and can be ordered online. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:11 pm

I have the standard Sherpa carrier. My dog is of similar size as yours. Does he love it? Nope. Does it work? Yep. He's traveled with me dozens of times on several different airlines. The benefit of this carrier is that I know it's airline legal. I've never been questioned about the carrier or the size of my dog by any flight attendants, gate agents or ticket agents. Regardless of the carrier, my dog isn't going to be all that comfortable during a flight.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 318i
Looking for recommendations for an approved pet carrier for a 20 lb dog (doxie/Manchester terroir mix) that we will be flying in-cabin with us this month. Seems to be hundreds of types out there... Looking for something reasonably priced that's comfortable for our dog and can be ordered online. Any recommendations? Thanks.
I have merged your thread with the existing one on this subject.

Also I should point out to you that a 20 pound dog is not ok with many airlines that have weight limitations for carryon pets. You need to check on the carrier that you intend to use before your trip.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I have merged your thread with the existing one on this subject.

Also I should point out to you that a 20 pound dog is not ok with many airlines that have weight limitations for carryon pets. You need to check on the carrier that you intend to use before your trip.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
I saw that mezzowithcorgis posted carrying a 24lb, presumably corgi, on a plane. We have a 25 pound corgi and I cannot imagine him fitting under a seat (or for that matter, remaining well-behaved) on a plane. He'd have a great time walking down the aisle, visiting kids though.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA (Plt)
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I saw that mezzowithcorgis posted carrying a 24lb, presumably corgi, on a plane. We have a 25 pound corgi and I cannot imagine him fitting under a seat (or for that matter, remaining well-behaved) on a plane. He'd have a great time walking down the aisle, visiting kids though.
And yet, here he is, doing what he does 99% of the time in flight...snoozing.

Keep in mind he is a competition agility dog....quite a bit more fit and flexible than Rover Q. Public. He also is a certified Therapy Dog with over 100 hours of service visits--he is a calm and well-behaved traveler.

This is a cheapo carrier I bought off the shelf at Target on a trip last spring when the zipper broke on our Sherpa while travelling. The bag closed when I was re-loading him up after security in SFO and would not open after we landed in STL he had to come out the top hatch. This photo is under seat 2C on a CR7

Here's the old Sherpa under a UA 752, middle seat in E+ --- but you can't sit in the middle seat on this UA plane with a pet since they have done the power outlets, has to be window now. All you can see is a bit of nose.

Since the death of the Sherpa, our favorite bag is the SturdiBag. He fits in the Large, but remember he's small for a corgi, and very, very fit. YMMV.

Last edited by mezzowithcorigis; Aug 27, 2015 at 6:51 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.