Dog in round the world trip

Old Apr 23, 07, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Dog in round the world trip

I am helping a friend to plan a round the world trip with her dog.

Is this an impossibility?

It seems like UK and Europe is possible...is this true?

What about ASIA, Australia, and NZ?

Has anyone done this before?
Old Apr 23, 07, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by AAaLot View Post
I am helping a friend to plan a round the world trip with her dog.

Is this an impossibility?

Has anyone done this before?
I can't imagine wanting to take a dog with me around the world. Who will you leave it with when you go into restaurants, clubs, museums, etc. I wouldn't leave it tied outside and I wouldn't know anyone locally and I'd end up spending a fortune in kennel fees. I'd leave the dog with a friend.

What would a dog get out of a round the world trip anyway?
Old Apr 23, 07, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post
International dog food?
Old Apr 23, 07, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post
I can't imagine wanting to take a dog with me around the world. Who will you leave it with when you go into restaurants, clubs, museums, etc. I wouldn't leave it tied outside and I wouldn't know anyone locally and I'd end up spending a fortune in kennel fees. I'd leave the dog with a friend.

rephrase...
She is moving to Europe for 4 months and is thinking about buying a RTW ticket in order to be able to visit Asia, etc. on the way there or back.
Old Apr 23, 07, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I sure hope that the dog is small enough to be in the cabin.
Old Apr 23, 07, 12:33 pm

This must be a joke. How can I take it seriously? Get a dog-sitter and have a great trip.
Old Apr 23, 07, 12:34 pm

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
There are definitely restrictions in England. They no longer require the six-month quarantine but it takes about six months and a lot of coordination on the U.S. end with vets, airlines, etc., to avoid the quarantine.
Old Apr 23, 07, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by jtkauai View Post
This must be a joke. How can I take it seriously? Get a dog-sitter and have a great trip.
There are people in this world that treat their dogs better than their kids. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was not a joke.
Old Apr 23, 07, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

This is not a joke.

I had seen a website earlier that stated the UK required a Pet passport, rabies vaccine 6 months earlier, travel in the cargo hold, and an RF transmitter to be installed in the pet. It 'seemed' that then you could freely travel within Europe.

This friend has volunteered to be a tutor for our children. One of the conditions she has stipulated is to be able to bring her dog.

I had started another thread about suggestions on where to go last week:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683877

I am just starting to get worried that a RTW might be out of the question with a pet.

There's got to be someone as crazy as us that has traveled with their pet???
Old Apr 23, 07, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA GS, 0.8MM
Sign the dog up for whatever FF program you're traveling on, and wait for the credit card offers to come in addressed to "Scruffy Jones."
Old Apr 23, 07, 12:58 pm

DH and I looked into doing RTW with our dog as well, but it is nearly impossible to do it. First of all, we would need to kennel him since he's a labrador, and even if the dog is small enough to be in the cabin, air travel is very stressful to an animal. Flying to UK with a dog has gotten a little easier, but the restrictions on where the animal traveled to before and other factors will make your head spin. We're now paying our friend to take care of our dog when we do our RTW.
Old Apr 23, 07, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

One of the big problems with RTW is that long leg between Europe and Asia. This dog could be looking at 15 hours in a cargo hold. I would be surprised if that is even allowed. If the dog was a teeny one and could be in the cabin that is another story. As the dog is too big for a cabin I think RTW is out of the question.
Old Apr 23, 07, 3:17 pm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar.../territory.htm
If the dog comes from any of the listed countries, it would be eligible for a EU pet passport. That should allow the dog to move freely in most of the countries in the EU.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...documents.htm#
However, it takes at least 6 months to 'prepare' (microchip, vaccinations, blood tests, documentation) the dog before it is allowed to travel.

http://www.pettravel.com/passportnew.cfm
The pet passport works in the EU only. Pets coming from countries such as Japan and Singapore can enter the EU with a pet passport but the scheme does not seem to be reciprocal.

For example, dogs can only enter Japan if they have been in residence for at least 180 days in countries such as the UK, Australia, Sweden, NZ. In Singapore, pets not from Australia, New Zealand, UK and Ireland must be quarantined. There is no statement on the minimum days of residence. Would that imply that a dog originating from the US which has entered and stayed in the UK for about a week be allowed into Singapore? (Would need to check that with the authorities)

During a Flyertalk meet in Toulouse this weekend, I overheard that small dogs are allowed in the cabin (under the seat) on AirFrance flights. You might be able to confirm that on the AirFrance forum or with the airlines yourself.

Some countries such as France or Spain are really dog friendly. I always see dogs in the French airports. I have also seen them in two or three-star Michelin restaurants in France. If the dog is well behaved and sits quietly under the table, there should not be a problem in getting it into a posh restaurant or hotel.

IMO, it would be relatively easy to get the dog into the EU but a RTW to Asia would be too stressful and too much hassle.

Last edited by phaleesy; Apr 23, 07 at 3:28 pm
Old Apr 23, 07, 6:19 pm

What size dog? What is the age? Is the dog calm or nervous?

Where is she planning to stay? How will she be traveling within a country?

When will the dog be left alone?

I'd hate to run into difficulties if there is a change in rules.
Old Apr 25, 07, 12:03 am
dme

Programs: CO Plat, NW Silver, Marriott Gold, IC Ambassador, Starwood Gold, Delta peon, various other
I too encourage you and your friend to rethink this.
As someone mentioned, the quarantine/entry requirements for animals vary from country to country and they are not at all consistent. That will be the least of your troubles as airline travel is very stressful to pets.

Search this Thread