Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Sneaking Pets into the Hotel to avoid the fee?

Sneaking Pets into the Hotel to avoid the fee?

Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by phatty
Anyone have any experience sneaking your pet into the hotel to avoid the fee? I have a stay at the Homewood in Corpus Christi, and they charge a $100 non-refundable fee. That's almost twice what I'm paying for the room for myself... Any advice?
Yeah, advice is easy on this one. Pay the fee, don't take the pet or go someplace else.

I hope if you get caught you are tossed out on the streets and no vacancies are to be found and your credit card is charged $500.00 or worse the police are called. It would serve you right.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
At a Microtel Inn & Suites where I stayed, they had a pet fee of $10/day ($5 for longterm stays). They addressed the registered / unregistered problem by posting a large-print sign next to the front desk which said:
Registered Pets: $10 / day
Unregistered Pets: $50 / day
To the OP, I would recommend just finding a place with a lower pet fee.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I don't think people should sneak pets into hotels/motels, although I must admit that the subject makes me chuckle. I once sat in the parking lot of a tollway-side motel in France, watching a family pass two dogs in through the window of a ground floor room. The dogs were not small and the window was not low to the ground. I wish I had a photo!
Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:04 pm
In memoriam

Wonder why they had to sneak 'em in. Most places in France welcome dogs.

I have been asked several times by French folks, why do Americans hate dogs. I tell 'em most Americans love dogs. And, then, I am asked why you can't take a dog to a restaurant or hotel in the US.

Good question.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by rzyzzy
The OP is "greedy"????? sheesh... so much for doing the right thing - I'd bet
tens of thousands of pets are "snuck" into rooms all across the country because of policies like the homewood's. I can see stuffing pet owner's into crummy rooms, but this policy is just counterproductive.

By forcing a pet owner "underground" they run the risk of upgrading someone who doesn't disclose that they have a pet into the oompah-loompah-super-presidential-suite and getting that room stinky.

When I move cross-country next month I guess I won't disclose that I have pets, and I'll be sure and ask for my gold ( probably diamond by then) upgrade.
the OP is greedy because he doesn't want to pay for the pet or to show financial responsibility for the potential damages of his pet. Maybe greedy was a bad term, "cheap" is probably more accurate.

Does the fact that thousands of other people do it make it right to you ? Or do you just obey laws that you like and ignore the rest. You sound like a model citizen. Your mother must be so proud...
Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:15 pm
In memoriam

Please, no cracks about mothers. We are too good for that sore of thing. ^
Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
Originally Posted by biggestbopper

I have been asked several times by French folks, why do Americans hate dogs. I tell 'em most Americans love dogs. And, then, I am asked why you can't take a dog to a restaurant or hotel in the US.

Good question.
No it is a dumb question. People do not make their children behave and they certainly wouldn't make their pets behave. Not to mention that they probably can't. No pets should be admitted to any indoor public place. Dogs and cats were not meant to be indoors, they should be outdoors.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:18 pm
In memoriam

Does this mean my neighbor's little lap dogs must be immediately evicted from her house, even if it is very cold?

May the little dogs come inside to say good-night to their "mommy"?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by biggestbopper

Good question.
Restaurants - usually health codes. Seeing-eye dogs exempt, of course.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elliscm
There was one situation, where we had to sneak her into a Sheraton hotel in the middle of a small city at New Year's. We placed her in a bag, zipped it up, and she stayed silent and motionless even as we rode up to the top floor in the elevator with a member of the hotel staff and several NYE partygoers. Cat was unhappy but unharmed when we reached the room.
How did the feline fare inside the room overnight? Just curious as I don't hear many owners bringing cats in their vacation.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:01 pm

Programs: hhonors
the OP is greedy because he doesn't want to pay for the pet or to show financial responsibility for the potential damages of his pet. Maybe greedy was a bad term, "cheap" is probably more accurate.
"cheap" would be if the original poster didn't want to pay a REASONABLE fee for extra cleaning that was actually performed, or post a deposit. If someone brings a pet into a room and the pet tears up a couch or eats an end table, they are responsible and should pay for any actual damage. Just the same as if a human resident tore up a room.

Charging an unreasonable fee ensures that most people are either not going to stay there with a pet, or they are going to sneak them in. If they charged a reasonable fee, people would pay it, and the hotel gains by being able to ensure that pets only end up in rooms that the hotel chooses - smoking rooms, shopworn rooms, or priceline rooms.

Does the fact that thousands of other people do it make it right to you ? Or do you just obey laws that you like and ignore the rest. You sound like a model citizen. Your mother must be so proud...
You know, I haven't heard that wonderful canard since junior high school. Wonderful and truly intelligent argument, YOUR momma should be proud!

A hotel's rules are a long way from "law" - but yeah, I'll bite. I do ignore laws I feel are unjust, when I'm pretty certain I can get away with it. I also speak out vociferously when I think I'm being pushed around by my government. I think it's my responsibilty as a citizen to to so. Ever hear of the boston tea party?

Last edited by rzyzzy; Feb 7, 2007 at 9:06 pm
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
The cases aren't parallel. You don't have a choice as to whether to deal with the government, at least if you want to live in your own country. You do have a choice as to whether to patronize a hotel.

I'm amazed that the attitude of so many people is "If the contract on offer from a business doesn't suit me, I will enter into it anyway, fully intending to violate it." That's unethical in and of itself, never mind the potential for property damage or medical problems for the person who has the room after the selfish jerk who sneaks in the pet.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by rzyzzy
"cheap" would be if the original poster didn't want to pay a REASONABLE fee for extra cleaning that was actually performed, or post a deposit.
If it's not reasonable, go to another hotel or don't bring the pet. It's not like King George mandated that pet owners stay at a certain hotel *and* pay the charges.

It's choice to bring your pet with you, just as you can choose your hotel while vacationing. You cannot legally and ethically, however, choose which of the rules you want to abide by once you have signed and agreed to the terms of the contract.

Why is this so difficult to grasp?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:37 pm

As for the bond idea, it means that the room has to be inspected at checkout which would be a problem at most properties. Morning checkout is hectic enough without having people going to check rooms.

At a Marriott that didn't allow pets, I ratted out a dog in an adjacent room because it was yapping all night.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:48 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
When I travel with the pooch, I book at pet friendly hotels. I always let the clerk know at the front desk that I have a dog, and I've had no problems.

When the clerk forgets to charge for the pet, even better

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.