Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Long haul flight with dog - Any tips?

Long haul flight with dog - Any tips?

Old Feb 6, 06, 5:22 am

Since you are travelling in summer, make sure you check the airline's heat index policy. Many (including United), restrict the shipment of pets when departure, transit or destination airports heat index exceeds a certain level.
Traveled transatlantic this past summer on LH/UA (STR-FRA-IAD) with a dog and a cat, neither of which had any problems.
Old Feb 6, 06, 5:28 am

See flypets.com and companionair.com

There were also two pretty recent posts on the CO forum regarding some unfortunate outcomes of flying pets. I'm not trying to scare you, but you should know that things sometimes go wrong.

Good luck to you and your dog.
Old Feb 6, 06, 1:29 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by KMHT FF
I would seriously consider breaking up the journey to include stops each lasting 24-48 hours en route so the dog does not have to fly for such a long stretch in one shot.
Exactly. Do a SFO-YYZ, take a day or two off for you and your pooch to relax in Toronto, then do the 2nd leg. You'll thank yourself when you get the crate in ZRH.
Old Feb 7, 06, 9:39 am

We travel extensively over the Atlantic with our dog, but he's small enough to go with us in the cabin. We always stop on the East Coast for a night to give him a break, and I would recommend the same to others.

Having said that, the OP and his dog are on a different path using cargo shipping. I'm not sure the same logic would apply, and if I were him, I would talk to others who have used the cargo method for overseas travel.
Old Feb 7, 06, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by fduvall
The UK may still quarantine animals, as they are very concerned with keeping rabies off the island.
UK will accept animals from some countries without quarantine, so long as a number of conditions are complied with. Policy only changed a few years back.
Old Nov 23, 20, 9:59 am

Any advice for traveling with a comfort gerbel?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: