Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

France Imposes Tougher Rules for Pets

Old Nov 18, 2002, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

France has put into place cumbersome added rules for bringing dogs and cats into the country.

In addition to the previously required health certificate and vacinations, pets must now have:

1. Either an imbedded microchip or tatoo. Note that there are at least two microship systems out there and machines that read one won't necessarily read the other. It's not clear to me which system the French require and if you can get that type chip in the USA. Maybe they are set-up to read both, but I doubt it.

2. The health certificate must be in French. The link below connects to a pro-forma health certifificate in French. Finding a vet who can fill it out is up to you.

3. The most problematic in the short run is a new requirement that the pet have a blood test to determine the level of rabies vacination in its blood, even if it has had a rabies shot in the last year. The test must be done at least 3 months before transporting the pet into France. Thus, anyone without a test already won't be taking a pet to France for the next 3 months.

Details can be found at:

http://www.info-france-usa.org/intheus/customs/7000.asp

Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Still better than the nonsense in the UK.

(and before anyone else can add: shouldn't this be in TravelBuzz?)

[This message has been edited by skofarrell (edited 11-18-2002).]
Old Nov 19, 2002, 5:06 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Yes, I agree it should be in TravelBuzz.

------------------
Craig6z
Buzz & United Moderator
[email protected]
Old Nov 19, 2002, 5:18 am

I read that the UK is setting new rules with the US about bringing pets abroad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.