Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Cat Greece to UK .. via Paris and Le Shuttle

Old Aug 23, 23, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to bring home a rescue from Rhodes to the UK please? Planning on driving UK to Paris CDG and then flying to Rhodes and back to Paris. That way I think she can stay in the cabin with me. I'll then drive back on the Shuttle. Other than being very long and expensive it seems to work. Any experience of handling/inspection fees arriving at Paris airport please and the same at the Shuttle? I can't find any information. (She will have microchip, rabies jabs and pet passport). Thank you
Old Aug 23, 23, 6:34 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I`d look at going from Brussels, not from CDG/ORY.. Closer, cheaper (no tolls) to get to than Paris.TUIfly has cheap nonstop flights (from EUR 95 one way) between both airports and accept pets in the cabin for EUR 50 ,as well as Brussels Airlines who accept pets in the cabin for EUR 60. If you have a rescue that could bring the cat to the airport and handle everything you could possibly even do an immediate turnaround without spending a night in Rhodes.
If you have your mind set on Paris, take the Transavia nonstop from ORY rather than going through CDG. Their in-cabin pet fee is just EUR 50.

There's no fees and no formalities for getting the cat admitted to France or Belgium. Rhodes is a Greek territory, Greece is a member of the EU and Schengen accord, and Kitty is a Greek/EU citizen with a proper Greek/EU pet passport, so you basically walk through the exit and that's it. Freedom of movement within the EU also applies for properly documented animals (yep.)

You'll need to do a pet check-in at LeShuttle in Calais where your cat's UK entry eligibility is checked/verified, and pay a EUR27 /GBP22 fee for this. The time window for the pet check-in is between one and two hours prior to your crossing, so be there early.
The checklist on the Shuttle website is very comprehensive and gives all necessary information. The rescue organisation handling your adoption should especially be aware that the date of microchip implantation or microchip reading put in the passport is not after the documented date of rabies vaccination but on the same day or before. Sometimes, shelter animals are routinely vaccinated against rabies but chipped and equipped with a passport only when an adoption is imminent, and if the vet isn't careful with the dates in the passport there's bound to be problems at border checks when you travel outside the EU.
ysolde likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.