Wiki Posts
Search

What places allow dogs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What places allow dogs?

This is my first time owning a dog as an adult. When we had dogs when I was a kid we'd usually leave them home if we went somewhere, or take them for a car ride but leave them in the car. Now that I have a dog in the big city, what places allow you to bring a dog inside? I know restaurants are dogs on the patio only. But what about somewhere like Costco, or Target, or other random stores? How do you know if you can bring a dog into a place?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
This is my first time owning a dog as an adult. When we had dogs when I was a kid we'd usually leave them home if we went somewhere, or take them for a car ride but leave them in the car. Now that I have a dog in the big city, what places allow you to bring a dog inside? I know restaurants are dogs on the patio only. But what about somewhere like Costco, or Target, or other random stores? How do you know if you can bring a dog into a place?
Id prefer you not bring your dog to any grocery store, period. I say that as a dog lover.
MissJ, kale73, tcook052 and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I think unless it’s a bonafide service animal, most stores and restaurants don’t allow pets.

Many hotels allow dogs for an extra fee. I saw quite a few dogs at my hotel in Vegas over Christmas. I’ve seen lots of cafe’s with outdoor dining allow dogs on the patio. I guess it depends on the health code.
cblaisd and cawhite like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:12 am

The only store I know of that allows dogs is Home Depot.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:15 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Home Depot doesn't seem to mind dogs, and a lot of bars that don't serve. Food are dog friendly. What neighborhood do you live in?
Westcoaster likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Buster
The only store I know of that allows dogs is Home Depot.
Well, pretty sure PetSmart allows dogs in their stores.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Home Depot and Lowes allow dogs I believe (at least they used to). Most restaurants/bars do not allow them indoors but some/most allow on the patio. Grocery stores are a no-no...even if they were allowed, in my opinion, it would be inappropriate. Some pharmacies allow them, but not the major chains. Many hotels now allow and even cater to pets and pet owners subject to extra room fees.

As someone who doesn't own a dog, and probably wouldn't bring it to any business if I did...please, please, please be realistic with yourself about how well behaved, or not, your dog is. I was in a mom-and-pop pharmacy last night and some woman was in there with two dogs, which were yapping/nipping at each other loudly. She was completely aloof to how annoying this was for everyone else. It was also fairly crowded in the place already and two dogs half-fighting while leashed only added to the chaos of the moment.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How big and well behaved and portable is your dog? I have taken quiet little dogs in a dog stroller into Costco, Home Goods, Target.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

All right, seems like it's simpler than I'd thought. I just feel like I always see people and their dogs out and about. Ours is about 35 lbs, collie and Australian shepherd mix, and about the most laid-back dog I've ever met. We have had her for about 10 days now and I think I heard her half-bark once, kind of an "uff" back in her throat. She tends to ignore other people and dogs, but attacks the two of us for kisses and cuddles.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
All right, seems like it's simpler than I'd thought. I just feel like I always see people and their dogs out and about. Ours is about 35 lbs, collie and Australian shepherd mix, and about the most laid-back dog I've ever met. We have had her for about 10 days now and I think I heard her half-bark once, kind of an "uff" back in her throat. She tends to ignore other people and dogs, but attacks the two of us for kisses and cuddles.
Like I said earlier, I love dogs, but all animals shed hair, and do other stuff. For Costco, in particular with what I do, animal lovers return items covered in hair from whatever pet. I can’t resell said Item because some member thought selfishly not to care. At Home Depot I don’t care as much. But at the same time it’s weekly event of some dog dropping its load somewhere, just as I’ve witnessed back in my travel day’s transiting whatever hub. Keep your dog at home. I don’t expect you to tolerate my dog, and I have zero desire to tolerate yours. Keep the pet at home.
kale73, MissJ and cblaisd like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Your dog will find ways to entertain him/herself for a few hours--most likely nap. Leave your dog at home.
MissJ, cblaisd and kale73 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Most breweries and wineries that don't serve food will allow dogs.
PV_Premier, MSPeconomist and corky like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since you have only had her for 10 days, I would guess her "real" self hasn't fully come out yet. I have no problem with dogs being anywhere including seated on a chair at the table next to me in a restaurant. I would suggest that you start early getting your dog socialized and used to being in public and behaving herself and following commands.
Be sure to buckle her up in a seat belt when you go in the car!
cawhite likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
i love dogs and cats. I love photos of them. I love seeing them. I believe that dogs are happy at home or outdoors. I don’t agree with people who bring dogs to public indoor spaces including airplanes. I don’t write the laws so I just sigh in my head while smiling at the dogs.
If you must really bring your dog into public places, consider certifying ESA so that you can get a special ESA vest. It’ll allow more access for your dog.
i could have sworn that I saw a photo of your beautiful hot self with a CAT. Do you have a cat and a dog or have I utterly forgotten (which can be another sign of my own cognitive decline)?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by gaobest
i love dogs and cats. I love photos of them. I love seeing them. I believe that dogs are happy at home or outdoors. I don’t agree with people who bring dogs to public indoor spaces including airplanes. I don’t write the laws so I just sigh in my head while smiling at the dogs.
If you must really bring your dog into public places, consider certifying ESA so that you can get a special ESA vest. It’ll allow more access for your dog.
i could have sworn that I saw a photo of your beautiful hot self with a CAT. Do you have a cat and a dog or have I utterly forgotten (which can be another sign of my own cognitive decline)?
Really, your advice is to get a ESA vest so they can take their dog more places? I have no problem with people having legit ESA animals, but 90% that I see are fake. Bought on Amazon or eBay.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Has the OP said that they require an ESA?
chgoeditor, MissJ, cblaisd and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.