Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Traveling with cats on Jet Blue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2021, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

We are getting ready to travel with three cats from California to New York for a move. The JetBlue prescribed size for pet carriers is 17” x 8.5 x 12.5. JetBlue brand carriers are much smaller than this, and are only 16 inches long. We are going to try a Sherpa medium size original. The size on this is18 inches long, 11 inches high, and 10.5 inches wide. It will smash down to fit under seat no problem.

Can anyone speak to have strict JetBlue is on the sizes? All our cats will be the 20 pound weight requirement with the bag. It’s a big day, and we wanna make sure that this goes smoothly in advance. Thanks so much for any insights, especially for anyone who has flown JetBlue recently with pets.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

How many (human) passengers will be traveling? JetBlue has a limit of one pet per passenger, and no more than six pets per flight. So you would have to have at least three passengers in your party -- and maybe even three pet carriers, if JetBlue has a limit of one pet per carrier.

I would also be ready with a Plan B, in case JetBlue disallows your oversize carrier(s).

Last edited by guv1976; Dec 12, 2021 at 11:13 pm
Old Dec 12, 2021, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your response. We booked two of us and an extra seat, so that we know we have the ability to carry three pets and have reserved three pets with the airlines. So, that is definitely not something we are concerned about at this point. Mostly, I’m sure that we don’t get nickel and dimed about the size of the carrier on game day.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by guv1976
How many (human) passengers will be traveling? JetBlue has a limit of one pet per passenger, and no more than six pets per flight. So you would have to have at least three passengers in your party -- and maybe even three pet carriers, if JetBlue has a limit of one pet per carrier.

I would also be ready with a Plan B, in case JetBlue disallows your oversize carrier(s).
JetBlue has a limit of two pets per passenger, not one. The second pet needs to be in their own carrier and requires an extra seat to be purchased.
The OP has done everything right.

I would not expect any issues with acceptance of the medium Sherpa on JetBlue. But - Plan B should you run into any issues: get to check in early and if the carrier is rejected make a quick run to Petco on Sepulveda Blvd.(one block north from the In-'n Out). They usually have a large selection of carriers available and if traffic is not totally insane going there.buying a carrier and getting back to T5 is doable in about half an hour.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhomburg
JetBlue has a limit of two pets per passenger, not one. The second pet needs to be in their own carrier and requires an extra seat to be purchased.
The OP has done everything right.
I'm sure that the OP has done everything right, since the three pets are already booked. But perhaps JetBlue should update its website, which indicates one pet per passenger:

https://www.jetblue.com/help/traveling-with-pets
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by guv1976
I'm sure that the OP has done everything right, since the three pets are already booked. But perhaps JetBlue should update its website, which indicates one pet per passenger
https://www.jetblue.com/help/traveling-with-pets
They need to update - or rather consolidate - the website not just perhaps but definitely.
Compare the info you posted above with what's they have posted on this one; the amount of conflicting information and changed rules is unbelievable: https://www.jetblue.com/traveling-together/traveling-with-pets
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhomburg
They need to update - or rather consolidate - the website not just perhaps but definitely.
Compare the info you posted above with what's they have posted on this one; the amount of conflicting information and changed rules is unbelievable: https://www.jetblue.com/traveling-together/traveling-with-pets
You're absolutely right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.