Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Transporting Pet Kennel on TGV, CDG to BRU

Old Mar 13, 21, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (former 1K and Platinum). AS MVP Gold

I'll be flying to CDG on Air France from SFO. My dog will be in a large kennel in the hold. I then need to get on the TGV to Brussels. I'm aware of the muzzle requirement and the need to purchase a ticket, but I'll still need to travel with this large kennel for our return to SFO. Is there a baggage car on the TGV? Can I check the kennel at the CDG station under Terminal 2 and then pick up in Brussels? The left luggage option at CDG is cost prohibitive.

(I used to fly into Schiphol on KLM and get picked up by my Belgian friends. But KLM only flies the 787 from SFO and LAX and won't take pets in the hold. I don't want to ask my friends to drive all the way to CDG.)
Old Mar 15, 21, 1:11 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
TGV accessible seat with dog
I would disassemble the kennel by separating the top and bottom pieces and stacking them inside each other and just take it with you into the train car. It will be much easier to carry this way, also takes up a lot less space. Disassembled, it should fit in the luggage area. Also, you'll be able to pass the turnstiles @ CDG with a disassembled crate and will not need to wait for staff to open the handicapped gate, which can take a very long time and lead to you missing your train, which is what happened to me once.
Assuming you'll be on a Thalys train, the best seats with a dog plus crate are the accessible seats in coach 1/11 ('premium comfort', first class). Definitely go with First Class. I always reserve seat 23 and put the dog next to me. See seat map here: https://www.thalys.com/sites/thalys....o_Rames_EN.pdf
Unfortunately, SNCF suspended their 'mes bagages' baggage check-in and delivery service last year, so checking it and having it delivered isn't an option currently. It should eventually reopen, so check the website every now and then for details.

edit: Here's a picture showing how much space there is:

Last edited by bhomburg; Apr 26, 21 at 1:00 pm Reason: edit: here's a picture showing how much space there is

Search this Thread
Search Engine: