Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with cat out of DCA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Flying with cat out of DCA

I am flying with my cat this Sunday on Alaska Airlines out of DCA. Is it possible to request a private screening room for the security check? She’s never flown before and I’m terrified that taking her out of the carrier in an open space is going to terrify her and she’ll try to bolt. The vet put a harness and leash on her today to get her used to it, but once we got home, she managed to get out of it without my even seeing her do it. At this point, I don’t know which of us will be more anxious!
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by CBS0324
I am flying with my cat this Sunday on Alaska Airlines out of DCA. Is it possible to request a private screening room for the security check? She’s never flown before and I’m terrified that taking her out of the carrier in an open space is going to terrify her and she’ll try to bolt. The vet put a harness and leash on her today to get her used to it, but once we got home, she managed to get out of it without my even seeing her do it. At this point, I don’t know which of us will be more anxious!
My friend asked for a private screening room out of JFK when she was relocating with her cat. The request was granted. She did arrive early at the airport. Cat did manage to wiggle away and hide for a few minutes in the room but she retrieved the cat. Door was shut so no escape for cat. Cat stress shed all over but she had an extra tshirt to change into.

She said the TSA agents were very patient — not always the case at JFK terminal 4.

Ask for private screening and arrive early — not that there should be many flying but it is the wait for the room. Hope it goes well.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Do you know if she asked when she checked in at the counter or when she got to the security point? I have pre-check just in case that has nothing to do with anything.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:40 am

I flew with ours out of DCA. I'd ask your vet about gabapentin. It's cheap and works very well.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: UA
She asked when at security — first with the ID check and not at airline check in and specifically mentioned that she was afraid of the cat escaping. Her cat is very sweet but not used to travel.

Hope it goes well.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Harnesses have to be fairly snug. Also some of them have pretty poor catches on the buckles.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: AS MVP
I have to fly with two cats this week. I was considering asking for a private screening room, but how small are those rooms? I wonder if there is enough social distancing.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:41 pm

The TSA are wearing PPE to protect themselves and others, and have upped handwashing and disinfectant procedures. Nothing to worry about, really. Especially as dead as domestic travel is right now, they have spent more time cleaning than doing security checks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.