Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

USA to London Heathrow with small dog in cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA to London Heathrow with small dog in cabin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:01 pm
Gaz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Question USA to London Heathrow with small dog in cabin

Would be great to get advice from anyone who's flown USA to UK with a small dog in the cabin recently

(for years, this was all-but-impossible but I understand the rules have changed quite recently which now allow you to fly direct to LHR with a small dog in cabin on American carriers).

I've flown internationally with the dog before, in-cabin from LAX-MAD and back, so am reasonably confident about the European rules and the pre-departure process, but the UK rules are much harder to find. Any advice from veterans would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:13 am

You can start here for the requirements: https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

it appears you still cannot fly your pet in the cabin.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by cdagirl
it appears you still cannot fly your pet in the cabin.
That is correct. There is not a single airline allowing pets in the cabin from the US (or anywhere else, for that matter) to the UK. Short of the dog being a legitimate service dog with paperwork showing accreditation by a UK-accepted sanctioning body, no dice.
Fly LAX-CDG (on AF) or LAX-AMS (on KLM) with the dog in the cabin, then have someone meet you there and drive the rest of the way, via any of the ferry lines or the Tunnel. You still cannot bring animals into the UK as vehicle-less passengers on either the Eurostar trains or the ferries, that's why a car is required.
As Brexit is developing, regulations and processes may change, so keep an eye on the DEFRA website!
Old May 26, 2020, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by bhomburg
That is correct. There is not a single airline allowing pets in the cabin from the US (or anywhere else, for that matter) to the UK. e!
That is false. All AMERICAN airlines allow emotional support animals with various rules (time in flight, etc)
UK allows from US withYou can enter or return to the UK with your pet cat, dog or ferret if it:
Dogs must also usually have a tapeworm treatment.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by knownothing
That is false. All AMERICAN airlines allow emotional support animals with various rules (time in flight, etc)
UK allows from US withYou can enter or return to the UK with your pet cat, dog or ferret if it:Dogs must also usually have a tapeworm treatment.
No, it's not false. The poster above was asking about PETS. Pets and emotional support animals, which is the subject of your reply, do not fall under the same rules.
Old May 26, 2020, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
No, it's not false. The poster above was asking about PETS. Pets and emotional support animals, which is the subject of your reply, do not fall under the same rules.
Does anybody do a "pet" when they can do an ESD? I don't think so
Old May 26, 2020, 8:41 pm

Does anybody do a "pet" when they can do an ESD? I don't think so
Well, people with ethics and a respect for the rule of law do. I travel with pets regularly and have never tried to fraudulently pass them off as ESA's. More and more states are making passing a pet off as an ESA a criminal act, so maybe if respect for the law doesn't motivate you to stay honest about your pet, the thought of a hefty fine might.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...pretenses.html
https://www.animallaw.info/content/f...t-service-dogs
https://www.al.com/news/2019/08/it-w...ce-animal.html
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...235557112.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/18/u...rt-animal.html
bhomburg and trooper like this.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:25 am
Suspended

If your doctor ( or now your shrink) says you need the dog, than it is an ESD. Note that is not the same as a Service Dog - although "pysch' service dog" is now accepted.

Most PMDs now will not certify the papers that declare the need for an ESD. They (and the airlines) are saying it should be a s shrink.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 5:25 pm

If your doctor ( or now your shrink) says you need the dog, than it is an ESD. Note that is not the same as a Service Dog - although "pysch' service dog" is now accepted.

Most PMDs now will not certify the papers that declare the need for an ESD. They (and the airlines) are saying it should be a s shrink.
Why do you keep posting nonsense? You list your locations as Paris and Scotland, yet you keep posting incorrect info on American laws. Primary care doctors have never been allowed to certify the need for an ESA or PSA, the requirement has always been a licensed mental health professional, and the pax is required to have a diagnosis that is recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), not just because the doctor "says you need the dog."

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...upport-animals

You several incorrect posts in this forum make it seem like you are trying to cause trouble for people by giving them wrong info.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Why do you keep posting nonsense? You list your locations as Paris and Scotland, yet you keep posting incorrect info on American laws. Primary care doctors have never been allowed to certify the need for an ESA or PSA, the requirement has always been a licensed mental health professional, and the pax is required to have a diagnosis that is recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), not just because the doctor "says you need the dog."

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...upport-animals

You several incorrect posts in this forum make it seem like you are trying to cause trouble for people by giving them wrong info.
CD I don't know where you get your info - but you are totally wrong. My son is a family practice doc in LA. He treats many with anti-depressants and has written many ESA documents. For your edification I enclose part of the AAFP on ESA https://www.aafp.org/afp/2020/0301/p302.html.

And I suggest you buy a pair of reading glasses: From the web site you post:

"Airlines may require documentation that is not older than one year from the date of your scheduled initial flight that states:
  • You have a mental or emotional disability that is recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM);
  • You need your emotional support or psychiatric support animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at your destination;
  • The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional and the passenger is under his/her professional care; and
  • The licensed health care professional’s;
    • Date and type of professional license; and
    • Jurisdiction or state in which their license was issued."
Note it reads a licensed health care provider: which can be a psychologist (NOT an MD), psychiatrist (MD), RN, PA or MD. They all code for diseases (to be paid) I don't expect you to write a retraction and admit that you "knownothing"

ps As a Scottish Landowner, in the future you can address me as M'Lord!
beachmiles likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks, you are going to have to agree that you disagree on this subject. Nothing new of value has been posted so I am shutting this one down.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.