FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Pets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-pets-645/)
-   -   Personal experience flying a pet in cargo? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-pets/1980690-personal-experience-flying-pet-cargo.html)

deniah Jul 29, 2019 3:42 pm

Personal experience flying a pet in cargo?

I've searched the forums but the threads are outdated, are about in-cabin transport, or very airline/incident-specific.

Just wondering what your experiences are flying your furry pets in the cargo?

I've talked to some acquaintances, who said anything from their pet being so traumatized from the experience (that they would never do it again), to those who have literally lost their pet in the process (as in mislocated!!!).

At north of 10kg, our pet is too heavy for in-cabin conveyance by any known carrier. Taking the train (&ferry!!!) would be a multi-stop, multi-day affair. Driving would be the same, made worse with added risk of accident for such a long trek.

obscure2k Jul 29, 2019 4:02 pm

Moving this thread to the Travel With Pets Forum. Please follow there...
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Carl Johnson Jul 29, 2019 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 31356311)
I've searched the forums but the threads are outdated, are about in-cabin transport, or very airline/incident-specific.

I've talked to some acquaintances, who said anything from their pet being so traumatized from the experience (that they would never do it again), to those who have literally lost their pet in the process (as in mislocated!!!).

At north of 10kg, our pet is too heavy for in-cabin conveyance by any known carrier. Taking the train (&ferry!!!) would be a multi-stop, multi-day affair. Driving would be the same, made worse with added risk of accident for such a long trek.

I used Animal Land Pet Movers for a transatlantic move. Door to door, smooth as silk. There was a lot of paperwork to do, including a vet certification, and they guided me every step of the way. You should get a price quote from them or another shipper, or multiple shippers. I don't know what the price is going to be for a domestic move but it's going to be a lot cheaper than my international move, and if the price is right it'll take a load off your mind.

deniah Jul 30, 2019 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson (Post 31356631)
I used Animal Land Pet Movers for a transatlantic move. Door to door, smooth as silk. There was a lot of paperwork to do, including a vet certification, and they guided me every step of the way. You should get a price quote from them or another shipper, or multiple shippers. I don't know what the price is going to be for a domestic move but it's going to be a lot cheaper than my international move, and if the price is right it'll take a load off your mind.

Thanks for relating. How did your pet take it?

RSSrsvp Jul 30, 2019 6:33 am

When my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was alive I took her on several 10-14 hour trips where we stayed overnight in pet friendly hotels/motels and as long as she was walked every few hours we were good to go. It turned out that she could control her bladder better than the humans on the trip. :p

At then end of the day if I was worried about shipping a pet in cargo and driving was a viable option I would definitely get behind the wheel. ;)

Carl Johnson Jul 30, 2019 10:45 am

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 31358167)
Thanks for relating. How did your pet take it?

He was fine. We handed him over the day before our departure (2 days before his departure) and he got boarded for 2 days and then embarked; he flew from Seattle to Frankfurt, had a rest stop and final vet check in Frankfurt, and then embarked to Lisbon. We arrived in Lisbon the day before he did; the next morning we rushed out to get a litter box, and we put in the litter that we had brought with us from the US. He arrived in the afternoon and when we let him out of the carrier he was totally fine, totally content. And now it seems that he tolerates our absence better because he knows that even if his humans go away, he will always be reunited with them.

LittleBird Jan 14, 2020 11:58 am

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 31356311)

deniah, I flew a cat and a dog USA-SE Asia in cargo with Asiana and Eva 2 years ago. Absolutely no problems with the animals on arrival. My only issue was with Asiana as they changed equipment from an A330 to an A320, an aircraft they say cannot accept live animals due to climate control. They didn't advise me of the change and in fact I would never have known if I wasn't such an avgeek. I kicked up a fuss and got a letter saying that due to the time of year my animal was in no danger. Hard to know yes or no but nevertheless we all arrived safely and our dog is still very much alive and well! I'll be doing the same move in reverse later this year and will still consider Asiana as I feel they are an excellent carrier in most ways.

luggageguide May 4, 2020 12:39 am

flying with pet and carry good things with it in the luggage set!! really helpful and enjoyable! last time i traveled with my two dogs in cage it was really enjoyable trip for us!!