Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines-Carrier Policy

Spirit Airlines-Carrier Policy

Old May 10, 19, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Spirit Airlines-Carrier Policy

I am moving and I am flying with my cats on Spirit airlines tomorrow. However I just realized that their carrier is an inch too big in height?

Does anyone know how strict they are with their dimensions? Do they actually measure their carriers? I can't find something nine inches in height!

Thanks!
Old May 11, 19, 2:47 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
You need a 'small' carrier. Look at the thread right below for product suggestions. If you want to pick up a smaller one in a store before your flight, check out your nearest Petco. They do offer carriers within that limit.
It's been reported multiple times on this board that as long as carriers are soft-sided and can be squished to fit, you'll likely get away with bringing a slightly oversized one, especially if it's just an inch in height.
I have no personal experience with Spirit. Most (frequent) travellers with pets tend to not book ultra-low-cost airlines like Spirit because of their extremely cramped seating which makes travel with a legroom-robbing pet carrier a really unpleasant experience. Unless you opt for their "big front seat" product (which has about as much space as premium seats on legacy airlines) Spirit only offers 28" of seat pitch, the lowest in the industry.
Old May 12, 19, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

thank you for the information.

Just to let you anyone know if they in the situation everything went fine. Cats fit perfectly and Spirit did not give me a hard time at all. I feel like the dimensions are a bit overkill. There was still plenty of room under the seat