Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

PSA: If travelling with a pet in cabin!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

I’m too new to post links but please see the thread I started for my experience (denied boarding) with Air Canada. My dog has previously completed 4 flights with Air Canada and 2 flights with Westjet (all from Toronto - US) so I’m no stranger to travelling with a pet in cabin.

I know I probably sound like I was being overly-cautious but bring as much paperwork as you can- even if it’s not required (as at least you have some backup!). I was travelling with my 8.5lb Shih Tzu in a medium sized Sherpa Carrier.

Although I was travelling domestically within Canada I had the following paperwork on me (I would still do the same in the future as at least I have some recourse):

- Get a health certificate that shows your dog’s vaccination records, breed and his weight. Mine was valid until the end of April 25 2019 (For future I may add in his measurements).
- I had a copy of his documents from the Kennel Club proving he was a Shih Tzu
- Sherpa has the “guaranteed on board” program so if the airline you are travelling participates in this fill out the form and print it to take along.
- I also had the official paperwork from the carrier (proving the dimensions of the bag).

Happy travels!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Here's the link to OPs thread in the AC forum detailing her experience with being denied boarding by Air Canada because an AC gate agent judged her already checked-in small dog as too big for the chosen carrier despite this clearly and demonstrably not having been the case: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1965218-denied-boarding-because-8-5lb-dog-why.html.

All airlines have rules like Air Canada's in their conditions of carriage. Enforcement varies greatly and mostly depends on human judgement which can definitely be very arbitrary as her experience shows.

OP, please keep us posted as to how this evolves!
I just hope AC won't follow UA in making pet travel even more difficult than it already is with new, stricter rules and even more exclusions after suffering a PR nightmare from a number of high-profile incidents involving animals mishandled by them...
Blondie85 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I recently flew with my 7 pound toy poodle from EWR-MCO on UA and also used a sherpa carrier and had no issues at all. If anything no one even noticed he was with us.

My biggest gripe was I lost out on getting on the upgrade list and I couldn't check in online because they had to give me a tag to put on his carrier. That's after the obscene $250 I had to pay for the pleasure of putting him in the torture chamber (the carrier) AND giving him Benadryl so he wouldn't be troublesome. This was his first flight at 14 months old and we didn't want to take chances.

My second biggest gripe? Lap children. Several of them. My dog was safer in his carrier than these children who traveled for free. No, I'm not comparing my dog to a child, but the fact of the matter is, they are human and could be flying objects in turbulence. He was in his carrier and much safer and his ticket cost more than ours

The end result - he was quieter and better behaved than almost all the kids on the flight.
Blondie85 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Agree! My dog is a bit “unique” and only learned how to bark when he was almost a year old. He goes wild when he sees his Sherpa carrier come out (I guess he knows it means he’s going somewhere lol).

There should be no problem with the Sherpas... as long as the dog is within the size limits that are clear.
Mary2e likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:04 am

Does anyone have any experience with Condor? Our cats love their carrier, but technically one of them has ears that will touch the top of the carrier. That being said, there's tons of room for him to turn around and stretch out. It also has expandable pockets that we intend to use when appropriate and anxiety meds from the vet. I would hate to show up for an international flight just to be denied boarding, but anything taller is out of their dimensions even though he's well within the weight limit.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
Does anyone have any experience with Condor? .
I`ll ask some friends involved in rescues who regularly use Condor and get back to you. I have last flown Condor when they were an LH subsidiary...
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
I`ll ask some friends involved in rescues who regularly use Condor and get back to you. I have last flown Condor when they were an LH subsidiary...
Thanks. The associate on the phone told us that their policy was going to become more lenient after April 1st, but I haven't been able to find the revised documentation. I probably need to get that and have it in our possession just in case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.