Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

No Rabies vaccine No Fly now on AA for ESA

Old Apr 11, 19, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum

April 1st, AA just tightened their paper work , signed forms, needed to fly an ESA. Old Spot has been flying with my DW as a legit ESA, for 14 years. Since she is a small house dog, who is never more than 18 inches from my wife’s ankles, we’ve not continued to get her Rabies vaccines. She had a bad reaction to the last one, and our vet understands. However, I wouldn’t expect the Vet to sign the now necessary form.

It seems AA, Delta and United are out for Old Spot. Are any other domestic airlines ( Jet Blue, or SW) less strict on enforcement?

Old Apr 11, 19, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA, along with all other US carriers, specifically lists in detail the requirements for ESA travel.
  • Veterinary Health Form, or vaccination record with current rabies vaccination information
You should check the B6 and WN websites for their specific information.
Old Apr 11, 19, 5:40 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
April 1st, AA just tightened their paper work , signed forms, needed to fly an ESA. Old Spot has been flying with my DW as a legit ESA, for 14 years. Since she is a small house dog, who is never more than 18 inches from my wife’s ankles, we’ve not continued to get her Rabies vaccines. She had a bad reaction to the last one, and our vet understands. However, I wouldn’t expect the Vet to sign the now necessary form.

It seems AA, Delta and United are out for Old Spot. Are any other domestic airlines ( Jet Blue, or SW) less strict on enforcement?
Based on the HHH and SAV in your profile, I'm guessing you're in South Carolina. The law there is pretty clear: all owned dogs must have up-to-date rabies vaccines, either once a year or the multi-year type, https://www.scdhec.gov/health/diseas...vaccinate-dogs. If your vet is seeing your dog regularly and ignoring the law, the vet could get into trouble. I can't imagine that any airline would allow a dog not up to date on rabies on the aircraft, nor should they. Even Amtrak requires rabies vaccination for animals on traveling by train.
Old Apr 11, 19, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
You can try and get a waiver. California and most other states offers this, see https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201320140AB272 on how to get one. See NY's waiver form as an example. If you have a blood titer test done that shows your dog being rabies-free with antibodies from prior vaccinations together with all the waiver paperwork, AA should rightfully continue to let her fly with them.
beachmiles likes this.

Last edited by bhomburg; Apr 11, 19 at 11:57 pm
Old Apr 12, 19, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
That is truly helpful. Thank you.
Old Apr 12, 19, 12:42 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by bhomburg View Post
You can try and get a waiver. California and most other states offers this, see https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201320140AB272 on how to get one. See NY's waiver form as an example. If you have a blood titer test done that shows your dog being rabies-free with antibodies from prior vaccinations together with all the waiver paperwork, AA should rightfully continue to let her fly with them.
If you read the whole section on exemptions in California, there is a provision that might prevent a dog from flying:

"A dog that is exempt from the provisions of this section shall not have contact with a dog or cat that is not currently vaccinated against rabies."

As an owner can not control what other dogs are in the airport and some airlines accept puppies under 4 months who are unvaccinated, a strict interpretation might be that taking an exempt dog into that environment violates the section quoted above. Also keep in mind that waivers are at the discretion of the local authority, not automatically granted.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Apr 13, 19, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
For ESDs AA will now call the doctor that wrote the note and they will decide if they will accept. I know several friends who used to take their dog and not allowed now. Also, the rabies shot is required for the airplane and all foreign countries - don't know about cargo
beachmiles likes this.

Search this Thread