Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

traveling with 2 large dogs in cargo with ethiopian airlines

traveling with 2 large dogs in cargo with ethiopian airlines

Old Mar 30, 19, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Unhappy traveling with 2 large dogs in cargo with ethiopian airlines

Hi, I will be traveling from Newark to Abidjan (Ivory Coast, Africa) at the beginning of June and I'm a little nervous for my pups, knowing that it will be their first time traveling in Cargo. I chose this airline because it's the only one offering a direct flight from the US to Abidjan.
I have the crates and bedding and water bowls and am aware of the health requirements and paperwork.
My worry is that the dogs will be in their crates for well over 10 hrs and I would like to make sure that they have water available to them. Does anyone have advice on how to make sure that they do? When the crates are carried into the Cargo compartment, is there someone to refill those bowls (will probably spill with handling of the crates?) with water? I will freeze bowls prior but even then, I'm pretty sure it will melt and spill.
Will the staff refill those bowls? can I attach a no spill water dispenser to the crates knowing that it would have to be on the outside of the crate door?
I'm extremely nervous and care a lot about their well being during the flight. I hope someone can reassure me and tell me that Ethiopian airlines handles dogs often and has people on staff who know about pets travelling alone.

Thank you...
Old Apr 10, 19, 5:22 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Talk to the crew when you board. Make them aware that you have precious cargo with you and ask if someone could check on the water supply and refill if necessary. Most will happily oblige, and I even got pictures once. Also talk to the ground staff in Lome during your layover (this is where I`d be more worried. It'll be midday heat there) and see if it's possible to check on them or have someone look after them.

And don't use bowls, but get water bottles that attach to the crate. Search the 'net for "dog crate water bottle" and you see what I mean.
These things are spill-free, and way less messy than bowls. Get your dogs to learn to use them some time before the trip. Ask Ethiopian if they may be mounted outside or if they have to be attached on the inside of the crate door and buy a model that's suitable for inside attachment if they require this. Not all airlines accept water bottles mounted on the outside of crates.
And please come back and tell us how the trip went!
Old Jan 17, 21, 10:19 am

Hello, I'm wondering how this trip went for you and your dogs. I will be traveling from Abidjan to the US this June and have the same concerns that you listed. Did you end up flying your dogs on Ethiopian? And if so, how did it go? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 15, 21, 4:23 am

bhomburg gave some good advice. I flew to Rwanda from Brazil via Addis with my dog in cargo. After that flight I would never fly Ethiopian with a dog if it required a layover at Addis again. They don't really provide any care. HOWEVER, flying direct with Ethiopian will be fine. I was able to talk with the flight crew and a ramp agent to make sure my dog was on board and fine. The sao paulo - Addis leg meant she was in the cage for about 16 hours.

For water, I would freeze some water in the bowl and then have one of the non-spill water dispensers (giant hamster water dispensers) attached to the door. My dog loves ice so that helps with her nerves during the ground loading. Then she has plenty of water for the rest of the trip.

It is nerve-racking but your dog will be fine.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: