Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

YEG to YVR- 80lbs golden retriever

Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum

Hi,

We usually drive with the family dog, the 14hr trip between Edmonton and Vancouver in the summer.
I need to have the dog moved from Edmonton to Vancouver for a few weeks in the winter time, so driving is not an option.

I've looked into it and it seems that the dog would have to be shipped as AC cargo- I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this. The flight is short, but how long prior and after landing would one have to wait. Do the same crate rules apply?
Ideally I would like to travel in the cabin with the dog but I realize her size may exclude this. However, I've seen service animals on some WS flights (really large ones) sitting on the floor in the front row of the cabin.
I don't care which carrier to use, and ideally it would be just the dog travelling, with family picking the dog up in YVR.

Any specific info is appreciated. I realize this may end up costing as much as a ticket for a human but important thing is getting the dog to YVR. Fwiw she is certified therapy dog so if there's any way to get her into a cabin on any carrier, that would make it easiest.

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:06 am

Your dog is too large to fly in the cabin. Therapy dogs are not the same as service dogs and are not allowed to fly in the cabin like a service dog. A person with a disability has the right to fly with their trained service dog in the cabin because it is needed to mitigate a life altering disability either during the flight and/or at the destination. Even if a service dog is too large to fly in the cabin it will then need to be transported in the hold of the plane. My husband travels with a guide dog for the blind and his past dog and current dog are under 60 pounds because of all the air travel. Any bigger and it’s tough space wise on the dog and other passengers. The dog must fit at the handler’s feet on the floor. Good luck with air cargo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.