Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Layover in FRA to US. Does my pet need to comply with EU regulations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

I'm likely going to be flying with a four-month Pembroke Welsh Corgi from Kyiv, Ukraine to Boston, US, with a short layover in FRA (during which I will not exit the airport). My dog will comply with and have all the necessary paperwork for the US, but not the EU. Will this be an issue in FRA? Has anybody been in a similar situation and can say with certainty what happened? Thank you.

Last edited by Woland; Aug 8, 2018 at 6:17 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I guess the first question is how long your layover is? Are you in transit (in which case 'no') or are you staying in Frankfurt for any length of time (in which case 'probably').
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Edited post to clarify. The layover is 2 hours, just long enough to take him to the pet lounge they have in FRA but definitely not leaving the transit zone.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:40 am
Suspended

In that case you are fine.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Just now I was registering the dog for the flight with Lufthansa customer service, and I posed the same question. I was told that the "dog would need to comply with EU regulations since [I'm] transiting in the EU". As much as I realize the customer service people probably know what they're talking about, this does seem wrong. Has anybody been in this situation before?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Got in touch with FRA's Animal Welfare Management. Here is their response:
You are only in transit here in Frankfurt so you will not be asked to show any paperwork for your pets in Frankfurt.

Here is what will happen with your pets here in Frankfurt.
When the ground time is over 3 hours we bring the pets to the Animal Lounge and also to the connecting flight. In the Animal Lounge they get water and if necessary cleaning the crate.
The three hours are from the delivery in the baggage centre. The unloading from aircraft and transport to the baggage centre needs approx. 30 to 45 minutes.
The other rule is a pet`s with a ground time under 3 hours your pets goes to the baggage centre in a silent and warm corner under supervision by our staff. They will give them some water from the outside into the water bowl ( must be present). When the time comes they bring them to the connecting flight, visiting by you is not possible.
This only applies when you pets are transiting through Frankfurt!!!

Important
Please ensure that the kennel are big enough for the pet, water containers and absorbed material are available.
Big enough means, it must the animal allow to stand, turn and lie down in a natural manner and he does not touch the roof with his head.
Also, please do not give any sedatives to the animal.
So the initial response Lufthansa customer service was wrong.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Woland

That's what I thought!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:36 am

Thank you for the follow up. I am reluctant to trust customer service.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:36 pm

Hi, how did it go during your stopover in Frankfurt? Tnx.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:32 am

Thanks for sharing Woland
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott

that was for crated dog, not cabin dog
If you have to go through customs, you will need the french form -- if not through customs, probably not. But the paper work is not much different other than an "international vet" must sign off. All in EU are, there is one state office for each in US, not sure about Ukrane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.