Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

flying with adopted kitten - want to travel light

Old Aug 12, 18, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

We adopted a kitten while in Maui, due to some issues, the kitten couldn't make the flight with us. I felt having her transported all the way to Boston was too risky and too mean, so she's flying OGG-ORD. I'm flying out to ORD the day before as her flight comes in at 515am. I have not traveled with a pet before and want to pack REALLY light but have everything I need be able to ideally fit in a single backpack or overhead suitcase. I'm coming in the day before and it will be several hours before I can check into my hotel, so I was just going to take the train downtown and get some lunch and do some touristy stuff. Having everything in only a backpack would really be ideal.

I know I need a carrier but trying to find one that collapses small enough to fit in a backpack ideally (or overhead suitcase if I must) has been a challenge.
I was thinking I should get a couple of single use disposable litter boxes but all the ones I've found are way too big.
I will bring some food, a couple small bowls, wipes, harness and leash and a couple of small toys.

Any recommendations on the products I can't find or anything I may have missed?
Old Aug 15, 18, 10:54 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Why not use the carrier as your go-to-carryon bag on the flight out? No need to stuff it inside anywhere, just do it the other way around and put the few things you need into a day pack and place that inside of the pet carrier. Remember that the pet carrier will count as your carry-on allowance on most airlines and you're limited to a 'personal item' size bag otherwise on the return where kitty will occupy the carrier, so you can't bring a large bag anyway. Caveat: I've never seen this enforced at least on AA and JetBlue.
Check out the Sturdibag line of products. The 'Large' size should fit your needs very nicely. They do fold/compress really well and are on the light end of the market weight-wise.
Old Aug 15, 18, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

That's exactly what I ended up doing. I found a pet carrier with a bunch of pockets that's also a backpack on Amazon. I decided I'm not bringing anything with me other than a battery, phone, USB powerblock and some cables.

I ordered this for $32

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XC5FLC7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Aug 18, 18, 12:46 am
2018 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by robr View Post
That's exactly what I ended up doing. I found a pet carrier with a bunch of pockets that's also a backpack on Amazon. I decided I'm not bringing anything with me other than a battery, phone, USB powerblock and some cables.

I ordered this for $32

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The other option would be to order from Amazon and pick it up from an Amazon locker in Chicago.

Also, for a kitten, flat paper plates, the dessert size, might be better than bowls. Get pouch food if the kitten will eat it, so you can toss both the pouch and plate.

How soon are you picking up the kitten? We want pictures.
Old Aug 18, 18, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Her flight lands in an hour.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 3:47 pm
2018 Secret Santa

Her flight lands in an hour.
Kitten pix? How did her trip go? Feline travel report, please.
Old Aug 20, 18, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

I wrote this whole long reply and somehow lost it. She's asleep on my neck now and I can't move. This pic is at the united cargo facility at ORD. My Ritz Carlton card is even reimbursing her $125 travel fee to fly home with me. n
Old Aug 20, 18, 6:36 pm
2018 Secret Santa

I wrote this whole long reply and somehow lost it. She's asleep on my neck now and I can't move. This pic is at the united cargo facility at ORD. My Ritz Carlton card is even reimbursing her $125 travel fee to fly home with me. n
A chocolate chip kitten!

More pictures and her travel report after she's up from her nap, please.
Old Aug 26, 18, 10:24 pm

Thanks you for tips, becaose i am taking my little kitty with me to germany!