FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Pets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-pets-645/)
-   -   Best way to get from ORD to United Airlines cargo facility at ORD. (Picking up a cat) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-pets/1924827-best-way-get-ord-united-airlines-cargo-facility-ord-picking-up-cat.html)

robr Aug 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Best way to get from ORD to United Airlines cargo facility at ORD. (Picking up a cat)

We are adopting a cat we met at a shelter in Maui. After working with the shelter on airline itineraries, we decided it was too cruel to fly her all the way to boston, so she is flying nonstop from OGG-ORD. I am flying into ORD to pick her up at United's cargo facility.
Is there transportation available from the airport to the cargo facility and back or is best bet an uber or taxi or something? It's an odd question maybe nobody will know. I tried calling, the general number couldn't help, and the nobody answers the local number and there's no voicemail.

UA cargo is located at
630 Main Cargo Rd.
Building 630
Chicago, IL 60666

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...595340d84a.png

arollins Aug 12, 2018 7:27 pm

No, there is no direct access from the terminal to the cargo facility. Taxi or Uber will be best bet, or perhaps just rent a car, drive to the facility, get your cat, and then drive back to airport and return rental car and continue your trip to BOS. There is parking at cargo area.

To get to cargo area, as you exit the airport, get on Mannheim Rd South exit proceed towards Irving Park Rd (should be the second light), turn right (go west) Third light is entrance to cargo facilities, make another right at the light and just follow the road towards United.

As for UA cargo answering the phone, its best to call them at their 800 #, and still you wont get a straight answer. I work with a freight company in ORD and I'm very familiar with this. Good luck.

robr Aug 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Wow, I wasn't expecting a response from someone who really knows their stuff in ORD cargo! Thanks very much, I appreciate it. I think I will go with Uber and have them wait. I'm trying to figure out if the cat lands at 515am if I have enough time to pick her up and make it out on a 715am flight. (I'll be coming in the night before)
I have status on AA so generally breeze through ticketing/security, but I'm not sure how long it takes to get cargo off the plane to the facility and then to get out of there. I realize that's cutting it super close. (I can fly in F on the 715 flight for less miles than it will cost me to fly in economy on a later flight :))

arollins Aug 12, 2018 8:05 pm

My experience is with international cargo and availability is usually 4hrs upon landing. I'm not sure on live animals, and more so since they are arriving domestic. Are you sure that you are to retrieve the cat on the cargo side, and not on the luggage area? It does not seem right to me.

If on cargo, that 5:15 arrival and a 7:15 departure is not recommended in my opinion. I do not think you will have enough time to get your cat, and back to the airport. If on luggage side, it might be doable as typically luggage is available 30 minutes after landing, but you will have to go to terminal 3 for the AA flight. Another thing to consider is that the cat might be stressed out after a long flight, perhaps give her some time adjust.

As for having the UBER driver wait, better think about that because they only get paid for time and distance, and time is paid at approximately .10 a minute. Best to do a 2 stop ride and give him a $5-$10 cash tip upfront and another tip in the app as well also explain to him what you are going to do as well, this is to ensure the driver waits for you. I also drive UBER in the side and certainly hate those rider that ask me to make a stop to the local grocery store, or convenience store, and I've ended rides like that as well once the rider takes its time. UBER driver does not make money while sitting around waiting on someone at approximately .10/minute, please take that into consideration.

robr Aug 13, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks for the additional info. On second thought I will probably get there early and wait, and book a later flight (in economy :p) so I won't rush things and won't need the Uber to wait. Thanks for the tip on Uber drivers waiting, I had no idea how little they got paid to sit there. Figured it was like a taxi with the meter running.

Yes, I'm sure about pickup location.United PetSafe servicing pickup is at cargo per both the sender and UA's website here
https://www.unitedcargo.com/OurNetwork/TrackingCargo1512/StationDetails.jsp?stnCode=ORD

arollins Aug 13, 2018 11:01 am

Glad to hear, at least now you know some inside secrets into UBER, and the fortunes that we as driver make, LOL. I sent you a PM with additional details regarding UA cargo handler.

Uncle Nonny Aug 15, 2018 7:55 pm

What time does the cargo office open? That may play into your decision. We picked our dog up at Delta cargo at PHL when we adopted him and it took a good hour from wheels down until he arrived.

robr Aug 15, 2018 8:16 pm

their website says they are open 24/7. she lands at 5:15am. i was told to expect her by 6am. i booked my flight out for 845 but its award travel so i can change it to earlier or later. i'll have a list of all flights, award costs and availability with me and can usually get through to a person at the AA gold number within a minute or two.

arollins Aug 15, 2018 9:16 pm

I actually have some pick ups at UA tomorrow. Our driver will be there early as well, good luck.:)

robr Aug 20, 2018 8:34 am

have cat, ended up using uber pool at 430am, i was the last stop, the guy was hinting at waiting as he felt like most uber drivers would have difficulty finding the cargo area (the map directions were actually dead on, he just kept second guessing them), i ended up offering him $40 cash to take as long as it took. warned him it could be an hour or longer. ended up being maybe 30 minutes and he helped me with the cat and getting her food and water and didn't turn the meter on to drive me to the airport afterwards. all in all, it worked out well.

arollins Aug 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Glad it worked out. If it would have been a bit latter, I would have meet you and helped out. Always try to assist others.

robr Aug 20, 2018 8:04 pm

You DID help me, I appreciate all the info you provided here. It saved me a ton of anxiety and time.

beckoa Aug 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Glad this all worked out!

Please follow the redirect as we move this thread.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk