Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Delta Embraer 175 Underseat Dimensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TrueBlue, United MileagePlus

Later this week I am flying SEA-SFO with small dog (6 lbs) in cabin, first class. This dog has flown 20+ times including long-haul flights, cross-country/transatlantic, you name it. He's a great flyer, falls asleep instantly and snoozes for the duration of the flight, no worries there. He travels in a SleepyPod Air carrier.

This flight is of concern as it's on a smallish plane and I don't live in Seattle (I'm visiting a friend there for a day before flying on to visit family in San Francisco). We've flown on small planes and he has ALWAYS fit underseat. Unfortunately, Delta has not been helpful on the phone (have spoken with three separate customer service agents). They list the underseat height as 6.5 inches (width and depth are fine). My SleepyPod Air is soft-sided and fits almost any space but 6.5 inches is exceptionally low. I *think* the Air will smoosh down low enough to accommodate, but have submitted ESA documentation just in case. I am just neurotically worried because 6.5 sounds so low.

Just looking for anyone who may have flown this route on Delta with a pet in cabin and have insights or experience to share. I saw another thread on this exact topic and some reassuring replies but that was in regard to United's configuration. Thanks in advance if anyone knows anything.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by HollyAnnie
My SleepyPod Air is soft-sided and fits almost any space but 6.5 inches is exceptionally low. I *think* the Air will smoosh down low enough to accommodate, but have submitted ESA documentation just in case. I am just neurotically worried because 6.5 sounds so low.
\
Is it really an emotional support animal?
Old May 28, 2018, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TrueBlue, United MileagePlus
Yes. But thanks for your accusatory response.

For the recorrd, I took this flight, the height underseat was more like 10 inches as I suspected, my carrier fit with room to spare, and my 6-lb. hypoallergenic dog slept through the flight as usual with not a peep and no disturbance to anyone whatsoever. Had his carrier not fit, as a registered ESA he could have simply sat on my lap. Which would have come in handy since, as described in my original post, I don’t live in Seattle and I would have been stranded with no options had the carrier not fit based on the wrong information provided by Delta.

But I appreciate your kneejerk accusation (with zero helpful content) based on the premise that I just want to get one over on the airline and “good” flyers like yourself. Have a great day!
Old May 28, 2018, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by HollyAnnie
Yes. But thanks for your accusatory response.

For the recorrd, I took this flight, the height underseat was more like 10 inches as I suspected, my carrier fit with room to spare, and my 6-lb. hypoallergenic dog slept through the flight as usual with not a peep and no disturbance to anyone whatsoever. Had his carrier not fit, as a registered ESA he could have simply sat on my lap. Which would have come in handy since, as described in my original post, I don’t live in Seattle and I would have been stranded with no options had the carrier not fit based on the wrong information provided by Delta.

But I appreciate your kneejerk accusation (with zero helpful content) based on the premise that I just want to get one over on the airline and “good” flyers like yourself. Have a great day!
For the record I accused you of exactly nothing. Maybe it's your own conscious seeing accusations where there are none, and I suggest you read the FT Terms of Service before you start throwing accusations around because your post above violated it.

Furthermore, for the record, there's no such thing as a "hypoallergenic dog" - that's just PR garbage. Even the American Kennel Club acknowledges that on its website:
  • there are no 100% hypoallergenic dogs.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:51 pm

How did your trip go?

My carrier is 10.5" high for my kitty and I'm trying to confirm if this plane will take her so I can book us on it. Online dimensions state the Embraer ERJ-175 has an underseat height of 7.5" which does seem rather low.
How did you find it? Run into any problems checking you two in with your carrier?
Your feedback is appreciated
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks, this was a simple seat measurement question so please stay on topic.
Thanks, RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:48 am

Hi -I'm flying on an Embraer 175 in two weeks. My carrier is 8.5 inches high -- the dimensions on delta say the underseat is 7.5 -- it seems like your carrier was able to fit - is that correct? and their posted dimensions were smaller than in actual size.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:50 am

Hi Amanda:
How did your trip go? I'm flying with an 8.5 inch high carrier - did yours fit on the plane?
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Reviving this thread as I would also love to know. Flying LGA-HHH on Friday in F and was told the same 7.5-8.5 inches height restriction for the E170.

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence of what can fit and how strict they are at check-in?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:58 pm

ESAs are no longer recognized by the airlines.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by cdagirl
ESAs are no longer recognized by the airlines.
Don't think this applies?

You can still bring small animals into the cabin for a fee as long as the carrier fits under said aircraft's seat.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 5:10 am

Replying to my own question here and hopefully someone else stumbling on this.

Delta does is need state the under seat is 7.5
inches however, on my flight yesterday I was able to fit a carrier closer to 10” fit just in seat 2A(fist).

I’d say anything 8-10 should be ok as long as the top is soft and has a bit of leeway.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 12:06 am

Flying EMB 175 in 2 weeks

Originally Posted by mosfet
Replying to my own question here and hopefully someone else stumbling on this.

Delta does is need state the under seat is 7.5
inches however, on my flight yesterday I was able to fit a carrier closer to 10” fit just in seat 2A(fist).

I’d say anything 8-10 should be ok as long as the top is soft and has a bit of leeway.
hi! Did you have any problems checking in with the carrier? Mine is 10” as well and have never had an issue before. But wanted to be sure before I get to the airport. I’m in Delta comfort (5A), so hopefully should experience the same as you, in terms of carrier fitting. Any feedback on check in process would be helpful though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.