Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Traveling with two cats in cabin from Thailand to New York

Old Apr 16, 18, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

I would like to bring two cats to America (NYC) from BKK. I want them to travel in cabin (we are two passengers).

Certain airlines do not allow in cabin pets. At first glance I have identified possible airlines that will allow this:

korean Air, Asiana

Air Framce, KLM, Lufthansa, Swiss

Aeroflot

Going through Japan or Hong Kong seems to not be possible in cabin. Also Gulf carriers do not allow.

Does anyone have any advice on which airline is best for this? What carriers, seating, and class of service would best accommodate this?
Is it possible in Business/First Class, Premium Economy? (Often, those cabins have no under seat storage space).

Or, another possible idea is to fly economy and buy the extra middle seat, allowing more space.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Apr 18, 18, 9:35 am

While I can't comment on which airline to choose I can make a comment regarding flying with cats.

Cats, even more so than dogs, need to be super comfortable with traveling in a carrier. The drugs that one can choose to attempt to quiet an ill prepared dog in cabin not only tend to not work for the intended purpose in cats but often have an excitatory effect.

Good traveling.
Old Apr 18, 18, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KL/AF Gold
I know that Thai allows pets to travel in the cabin, as I found out one day in domestic J-class (Iím allergic)
Old Apr 19, 18, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by plgrant View Post
While I can't comment on which airline to choose I can make a comment regarding flying with cats.

Cats, even more so than dogs, need to be super comfortable with traveling in a carrier. The drugs that one can choose to attempt to quiet an ill prepared dog in cabin not only tend to not work for the intended purpose in cats but often have an excitatory effect.

Good traveling.
Are you saying to drug or not drug cats? And what do you that they need to be super comfortable with traveling in a carrier? Do you mean they need an extra pillow or tranquilizers?

My cats have traveled thousands of miles, and what I find most important in making them good travelers is frequent travel, even it's just a ride in the car, so they don't automatically associate the carrier with bad experiences.
Old Apr 21, 18, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all of the replies. I assume in cabin is the best way to go, but on the other hand the two cats could travel together in a much larger if carrier in the hold. What does everyone think? The shortest trael time is Cathay Pacific, but they allow cats only down below, not in cabin. I do not want my cats to have a traumatic experience, but at least I have much more confidence in Cathay Pacific than, say, United Airlines...

These cats have never traveled longer than around the corner to the vetís.

What are they likely to do on board if in cabin? How is drinking water and how are toilet needs taken care of on a 15 hour flight? I care primarily for the welfare of my cats, but I also do not want to have an awful flight or to disturb the entire J/F cabin with incessant plaintive noise from my cats...

Thai Airways may allow it domestically in cabin, but at leasy officially, they do not allow it internationally. As with many things in Thailand, it may also depend on who you are. Anything is possible on TG for the well connected, although they are becoming more strict these days. Furthermore, there arenít direct flights to the US at this time, so it is just as well to be on a different airline.
Old Apr 25, 18, 3:09 pm

With the airlines you listed, you'll have a stop in Europe or Seoul. Some airports have relief areas. You'll have to check if it's air- or landside (might have to clear immigration/customs). I haven't done this myself but planning to with a dog next year. I anticipate a lot of crate training and using potty pads. How are your cats with fasting and flying? I've read of some people not giving too much, if any, food before a flight. Minimal food and water/ice chips but your total travel time is probably 20 hours+ without a direct flight. Be sure to check cabin class, pets per flight, and aircraft limitations. Might have to let the airline know far in advance to save a spot if there is a limit on pets per flight. If using sedatives, best to have a test run at home. Don't forget documents needed to clear into US.
Old Dec 20, 19, 11:12 pm

Hi. Not sure if I am posting correctly. I moved my cats from the US to SE Asia last year ( both in the cabin and longggg layover in AMS). Now I am havng to
move back to the US. I will probably take Korean AIr this time. They do allow pets in the cabin. IM wondering if anyone has layed over in INcheon with a cat.
I have a small tent that I will pop up and I am fairly familiar with INcheon ( unless there have been major changes in the last two years?)
Is there a better way to post this so a larger flyertalk population will see? Thanks!!
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:42 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), Bangkok Air Flyer Bonus, Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Originally Posted by lycheelove View Post
Hi. Not sure if I am posting correctly. I moved my cats from the US to SE Asia last year ( both in the cabin and longggg layover in AMS). Now I am havng to
move back to the US. I will probably take Korean AIr this time. They do allow pets in the cabin. IM wondering if anyone has layed over in INcheon with a cat.
I have a small tent that I will pop up and I am fairly familiar with INcheon ( unless there have been major changes in the last two years?)
Is there a better way to post this so a larger flyertalk population will see? Thanks!!
lycheelove, I did a 7 hour layover in ICN w a cat several years ago. I was able to use the lounge, my cat was in a carrier and I swore that I wouldn't release her or bother others. Thankfully my cat was quiet and I don't believe anyone around me knew about her. The bathrooms in the lounge were quite large and had floor to ceiling doors so I locked myself in a stall for a bit thinking my cat would like to stretch her legs etc. Nope. She just sat in the carrier and looked at me. So we didn't have any issues at all, I'm actually looking at relocating again SE Asia-USA mid-year so preparing for the moving adventure again!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: